• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

random recipes for basic stuff you need at home (dishwashing liquid) for dishes

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hey guys,

In continuing with my guides, this is a very simple recipe for store-bought quality dishwashing liquid.

Tools you will need for this:

1. A bowl or plastic Tupperware container (preferably one that can hold at least 3 liters of water)
2. A high speed mixer (even a handheld mixer will do, id prefer to use a automatic whisk for this and not a stick mixer as you will need to move around a bit to get the mixture to blend well)
3. Gloves as this is a liquid blend, its always good to have some on.
4. A face mask (some of the ingredients can have a very funky smell (specially the SLES)

Ingredients

1. De ionized water (distilled water works as well) again the less impurities the better
2. alkyl dimethyl amine oxide (there are actual different brands for this like Zoramox) but this serves as your degreaser
3. Sodium Laureth sulfate aka SLES (this is a very thick liquid that serves to give body to your dishwashing detergent) it also functions as a foaming agent
4. Coco Diethanolamide (CDEA) this is a foaming stabilizer as well as a foaming agent which serves as one of the key Surfactants in your dishwashing liquid)
5. Sodium Bicarbonate
6. Iodized Salt (this will also help in the gelling of the final mixture and helps give the dishwashing liquid a good thinkness)
7. Liquid preservative (you can just use liquid Germall, or if your not to squeamish even a little formalin is ok) this keeps the dishwashing detergent from spoiling.
8. Any preferred fragrance oil to your taste and a little food grade coloring dye (liquid dye is best suited)

Formulation:

ratio
DI Water
83.0000%​
alkyl dimethyl amine oxide
6.0000%​
SLES
7.0000%​
CDEA
1.6000%​
Sodium Bicarbonate
1.0000%​
iodized salt
1.5000%​
Preservative
0.1000%​
Fragrance Oil
0.3000%​
coloring die
0.1500%​

Assembling and blending

1. this is actually a very simple combine and blend formula but it can be divided into 3 phases. Step 1 is combine the Water, the SLES in your container first so that you can melt down the SLES into the water using your hand held mixer and mix away until you see the SLES mix evenly into the water. This is really just to avoid lumps forming later on in your mixture.
2. Add in the alkyl dimethyl amine oxide, CDEA, Sodium Bicarbonate, Salt, your preservative of choice fragrance oil and coloring die and again mix away.
3. You will want to mix them all together as evenly as you can, at this point you will see foam and lather forming on top of the mixture which is normal, keep mixing for about 30- 40 minutes at least until you see the the mixture has become thick , foamy, nice smelling, and homogenous
4. you will want to set the mixture aside at least overnight to allow for all the bubbles and foam to dissipate. it should be ready to put into a bottle the next day for use as needed.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
So here's something I wonder....because I've known people before who use dish soap for literally EVERYTHING. Detergent, body wash and shampoo, etc. It was a desperate attempt for them to make dollars stretch, but does that actually end up causing problems when it comes to function? What kinda key things make body wash different from dish soap, or shampoo even? Other than marketing or purpose, of course.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
So here's something I wonder....because I've known people before who use dish soap for literally EVERYTHING. Detergent, body wash and shampoo, etc. It was a desperate attempt for them to make dollars stretch, but does that actually end up causing problems when it comes to function? What kinda key things make body wash different from dish soap, or shampoo even? Other than marketing or purpose, of course.
That's a question with a very long answer haha but ill try to make it succinct.

You can use dishwashing for basically all round stuff, the difference is actually in something called Surfactants (laymans terms: it makes water weter so dirt slips off) that are used for each blend and the varying strengths they have for different purposes.

For example, dishwashing detergent has ingredients that function as a degreaser, which is important especially for removing stuff that sticks to plates and pans in this case its the alkyl dimethyl amine oxide that serves this function. Given enough exposure tho, it can harm your skin and, or in the very least make it a little too dry. You need the oils on your skin haha.

If you go the route of liquid hand soap, the formulation will be pretty much similar but you reduce the a little on the De ionized water (fancy word for purified water lolz), and put in gentler surfactants like cocomidopropyle betain and add some Glycerin to also help create a gentler lather on your hands while removing the degreasing ingredients and maybe add a moisturizing agent.

For things like body wash, shampoos, or conditioners, its really more of the same as you will be looking for gentler hypoallergenic surfactants. That's more betains, glycerin, maybe add a few skin absorbable vitamins like vitamin E, and if you wanna go for extra credit you can look at different plant based butter like shea or even mango butter (this is can be debatable tho, as it boils down to a matter of preference)

I can make a few more guides on this stuff moving forward haha. I'm actually quite enjoying this. I feel like one of those mid 40s ladies that make DIY vidoes on youtube or that one auntie we all have that like to make all these DIY soaps and candles hahaha. (Ill make guides for those too, eventually ill work in some pictures.)

Samurael/Dusk

Neophyte
Reaction score
Yes. If you use plain dish soap on your laundry it won't get your B.O. out correctly and you will be judged, sooner or later, by people who aren't poor for it. It's also pretty harsh as a personal soap and will strip more oil from your body than it needs to.