• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

tarot cards and predicting the future

Claire Bambi

Neophyte
Reaction score
hii can someone please tech me or show me something about tarot cards and how i can use them effectively

like especially i wanna know if im gunna meat a client and then wether something gunna go wrong or dangerous

like i wanna avoid bad stuff from happeneing to me as much as possible

so how would i find a correct tarot cards and how would i use them exactly?

thank you

Solution
Okay. Five quick lessons on Tarot (and divination in general):

1: You shouldn’t do important readings for yourself when you’re beginning. You can learn to do readings for yourself, depending on the topic, but you have to understand that you have your own built-in biases that are going to mess with your perception. In other psychic methods like Remote Viewing this is called Analytical Overlay, or AOL for short. Basically…you’re likely to see what you want to see, until you get very good at meditation so you can silence your mind and biases as thoroughly as possible. There’s always some there but you can minimize it a lot.

But getting very good at meditation is something that takes time, so you need to understand...

Alfher

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards

1: You shouldn’t do important readings for yourself when you’re beginning. You can learn to do readings for yourself, depending on the topic, but you have to understand that you have your own built-in biases that are going to mess with your perception. In other psychic methods like Remote Viewing this is called Analytical Overlay, or AOL for short. Basically…you’re likely to see what you want to see, until you get very good at meditation so you can silence your mind and biases as thoroughly as possible. There’s always some there but you can minimize it a lot.

But getting very good at meditation is something that takes time, so you need to understand that any readings you do for yourself in the beginning may be off not just because you haven’t learned deeply what all the cards mean yet…but also because your own mind and desires are fogging up your intuition and perception. This is a big deal and you shouldn’t take it lightly, but being mindful of this risk can help you work to avoid it. Also practice reading for others as much as possible early on.

If you’re dealing with a topic that you’re deeply involved in and emotionally invested in and meditation isn’t helping calm all that down, you should always have another diviner do a reading on that topic for you instead of doing it yourself. That extra layer of detachment offers more clarity than we sometimes wanna admit, but it’s important.

2: Look for a deck that really feels like it resonates with you. Tarot decks each have their own spirits and powers within and around them. Sometimes a deck just won’t feel right and there are lots of reasons for that…but if you find a deck that feels good to you, a deck that really resonates with you and likes you itself, then it’s more likely to be accurate with you and even be ruthless with you when your biases are trying to mess up what it’s trying to tell you.

One of my favorite decks is the Wildwood Tarot because it’s pagan as fuck and I vibe with that deeply. I also love the Alchemical Tarot by Robert Place, but it’s heavy in the occult symbolism and it’s okay if you’re not interested in that at the moment (Robert’s books on Tarot are great though, if you wanna study the history and everything). There’s all kinds of decks, and of course the common Raider-Waite deck works just fine for most people too. But its worth it to have a deck you really vibe with and care about beyond basic aesthetic.

If you can find a magic store of some kind local to you, or a bookstore with a big occult section, I recommend going to such a place and physically looking over as many decks as you can. Relax, let go of expectations, and just listen. Odds are, your intuition will pick up on a deck that wants to work with you out of the many options you’ll probably have, and you’ll be able to pick something that holds some meaning to you.

(and yes, you can buy your own tarot decks - if anyone tells you they must be gifted, just laugh at them)

3: A simple beginner practice that I still do is to draw a card every day. Not even as a “how will my day go” kind of reading, but more of a “what card should I reflect on today” kind of reading. This often plays into how the day goes, I’ve found, but in a deeper and more meaningful way. This helps you get familiar with many of the cards on a deeper layer as you recognize their mysteries play out throughout your day, and also helps you begin to recognize the patterns in your life as you notice which cards come up regularly and what that means for how your life is going.

I also recommend keeping a daily journal of some kind to record what card you got for each day as you do this. That makes it much easier to keep track of things, and look back in retrospect to see the patterns in your life.

4: Tarot is in general a system of patterns. It’s about journeys and progression. The progression of the Major Arcana is called the Fool’s Journey by a lot of folks, and that is a story that you might look up and meditate on. The minor Arcana is a progression too, involving the Royals of the suites, and the journey from the Ace to the 10. In a reading, as well, the context of how each card you’ve laid out relates to each other is as important sometimes as whatever spread you’re using.

The cards are related to each other in various ways…and learning those patterns is both easier and more valuable than spending hours and hours trying to memorize every card meaning individually. Tarot is about big picture views and cosmic patterns and mysteries. It’s very bad at giving yes/no answers, but very good at showing general directions and probabilities.

Side note: Geomancy is a whole other system of divination that is very good at giving yes/no answers, but I advise against trying to learn too many things at once. It’s okay to focus on learning Tarot now and then learn Geomancy or other things later. That’s what I did, and I now practice both. :)

5: As you get better at practicing magic and meditation, there are various other things you can do to enhance your readings. Doing invocations or other ritual work to ask a deity or other spirit to empower your reading, for example, can give you hyper accurate results and help you bypass most of the bias issues I mentioned above (not always completely, depending on how emotional the topic is for you, but proper spiritual intervention almost always helps dramatically). There are all kinds of prayers and spells involved in doing this kind of work, and it really just depends on your interests and what you wanna do magically and in divination. It can be as simple as chanting the Orphic Hymn to Hermès or Apollo, to calling on Planetary Intelligences or Angels according to the topic of your divination (Venus for love questions, etc).

You can also learn to use tarot cards to cast spells, in multiple ways, and that’s a whole other thing for you to work with over time.

There’s lots of stuff to do, but I hope this is a good start.🙂

Most importantly, try to not get overwhelmed.

These things take time. It’s okay to go slow or take breaks.

Solution

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I am by no means experienced with tarot and have never really done spreads before, but here’s my take on doing a simple, one-card direct Q&A format.

The first thing to do, is get to know your cards. Get a basic deck, something cheap and simple for your first one. (There are also ones with the cards’ meanings written on them which I HIGHLY recommend) Build a relationship with this deck as if it were a person. Shuffle while focusing solely on the question you want to ask, and ask the question as if you were looking to a person for advice. Listen to the little gut instinct that may let you know when it’s time to stop shuffling and draw a card.

Now it’s time to read the card you drew. I’ve seen people approach this in two main ways. Taking them at face value and whatever that card is said to symbolize, or actually looking at the card in a more psychic manner, picking up information from the imagery on a much more personal level. Obviously both methods have their perks and downsides. While the latter may give you a more accurate approach in the long run, it also can be harder to do for a beginner. Feel free to experiment and figure out what works best for you.

Above all, practice is key. Get it down to where you can do this accurately without thinking about it. I often like to come up with light “practice questions” that I’m not going to put a lot of personal stock into but will let me know if I’m accurate. For example, what my day’s gonna be like or the weather.

Also off-topic, but if it’s safety you’re concerned about then I also recommend learning about protection spells or amulets as extra prevention. It’s something that’s honestly a good idea no matter who you are, and will serve you well your whole life.

Good luck!

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards

But getting very good at meditation is something that takes time, so you need to understand that any readings you do for yourself in the beginning may be off not just because you haven’t learned deeply what all the cards mean yet…but also because your own mind and desires are fogging up your intuition and perception. This is a big deal and you shouldn’t take it lightly, but being mindful of this risk can help you work to avoid it. Also practice reading for others as much as possible early on.

If you’re dealing with a topic that you’re deeply involved in and emotionally invested in and meditation isn’t helping calm all that down, you should always have another diviner do a reading on that topic for you instead of doing it yourself. That extra layer of detachment offers more clarity than we sometimes wanna admit, but it’s important.

2: Look for a deck that really feels like it resonates with you. Tarot decks each have their own spirits and powers within and around them. Sometimes a deck just won’t feel right and there are lots of reasons for that…but if you find a deck that feels good to you, a deck that really resonates with you and likes you itself, then it’s more likely to be accurate with you and even be ruthless with you when your biases are trying to mess up what it’s trying to tell you.

One of my favorite decks is the Wildwood Tarot because it’s pagan as fuck and I vibe with that deeply. I also love the Alchemical Tarot by Robert Place, but it’s heavy in the occult symbolism and it’s okay if you’re not interested in that at the moment (Robert’s books on Tarot are great though, if you wanna study the history and everything). There’s all kinds of decks, and of course the common Raider-Waite deck works just fine for most people too. But its worth it to have a deck you really vibe with and care about beyond basic aesthetic.

If you can find a magic store of some kind local to you, or a bookstore with a big occult section, I recommend going to such a place and physically looking over as many decks as you can. Relax, let go of expectations, and just listen. Odds are, your intuition will pick up on a deck that wants to work with you out of the many options you’ll probably have, and you’ll be able to pick something that holds some meaning to you.

(and yes, you can buy your own tarot decks - if anyone tells you they must be gifted, just laugh at them)

3: A simple beginner practice that I still do is to draw a card every day. Not even as a “how will my day go” kind of reading, but more of a “what card should I reflect on today” kind of reading. This often plays into how the day goes, I’ve found, but in a deeper and more meaningful way. This helps you get familiar with many of the cards on a deeper layer as you recognize their mysteries play out throughout your day, and also helps you begin to recognize the patterns in your life as you notice which cards come up regularly and what that means for how your life is going.

I also recommend keeping a daily journal of some kind to record what card you got for each day as you do this. That makes it much easier to keep track of things, and look back in retrospect to see the patterns in your life.

4: Tarot is in general a system of patterns. It’s about journeys and progression. The progression of the Major Arcana is called the Fool’s Journey by a lot of folks, and that is a story that you might look up and meditate on. The minor Arcana is a progression too, involving the Royals of the suites, and the journey from the Ace to the 10. In a reading, as well, the context of how each card you’ve laid out relates to each other is as important sometimes as whatever spread you’re using.

The cards are related to each other in various ways…and learning those patterns is both easier and more valuable than spending hours and hours trying to memorize every card meaning individually. Tarot is about big picture views and cosmic patterns and mysteries. It’s very bad at giving yes/no answers, but very good at showing general directions and probabilities.

Side note: Geomancy is a whole other system of divination that is very good at giving yes/no answers, but I advise against trying to learn too many things at once. It’s okay to focus on learning Tarot now and then learn Geomancy or other things later. That’s what I did, and I now practice both. :)

5: As you get better at practicing magic and meditation, there are various other things you can do to enhance your readings. Doing invocations or other ritual work to ask a deity or other spirit to empower your reading, for example, can give you hyper accurate results and help you bypass most of the bias issues I mentioned above (not always completely, depending on how emotional the topic is for you, but proper spiritual intervention almost always helps dramatically). There are all kinds of prayers and spells involved in doing this kind of work, and it really just depends on your interests and what you wanna do magically and in divination. It can be as simple as chanting the Orphic Hymn to Hermès or Apollo, to calling on Planetary Intelligences or Angels according to the topic of your divination (Venus for love questions, etc).

You can also learn to use tarot cards to cast spells, in multiple ways, and that’s a whole other thing for you to work with over time.

There’s lots of stuff to do, but I hope this is a good start.🙂

Most importantly, try to not get overwhelmed.

These things take time. It’s okay to go slow or take breaks.
Great post man. I love it. If OP doesn't mark this as the accepted answer, I will in a few days.

Belac

Visitor
Reaction score
hii can someone please tech me or show me something about tarot cards and how i can use them effectively

like especially i wanna know if im gunna meat a client and then wether something gunna go wrong or dangerous

like i wanna avoid bad stuff from happeneing to me as much as possible

so how would i find a correct tarot cards and how would i use them exactly?

thank you
Josephine Mcarthy has a book on tarot I would recommend. She simplifies the process and makes it easy to get started reading.

Claire Bambi

Neophyte
Reaction score
thank u guys so much it's really nice that you all took the time to write so much for me

ok so this is really a lot to take on for a newbie like me... but here's what i have gathered so far

1. get to know the cards and their relationship (is there a site or somewhere on this site where i can see these meanings of cards and relationships quickly? or must i first buy a deack?)
2. get a deck (i will look into the wildwood and alchemical ones but idk if they r gonna be too advaced for me... i was thinking of getting one from amazon or something)
3. build a connection with my deck, and not take my readings too seriously until i get beeter?? but i don't know anyone whos gonna do it for me until then... also don't know who to do it for to practice excempt myself......
4. practice every day and keep a journal

but i guess where can i know more about the meanings of the cards and the relationships...... and what is the difference between tarots and oracles........ and what is major arancar and minor aracanar....

should i just google all of this, is online reliable???

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
thank u guys so much it's really nice that you all took the time to write so much for me

ok so this is really a lot to take on for a newbie like me... but here's what i have gathered so far

1. get to know the cards and their relationship (is there a site or somewhere on this site where i can see these meanings of cards and relationships quickly? or must i first buy a deack?)
2. get a deck (i will look into the wildwood and alchemical ones but idk if they r gonna be too advaced for me... i was thinking of getting one from amazon or something)
3. build a connection with my deck, and not take my readings too seriously until i get beeter?? but i don't know anyone whos gonna do it for me until then... also don't know who to do it for to practice excempt myself......

but i guess where can i know more about the meanings of the cards and the relationships...... and what is the difference between tarots and oracles........ and what is major arancar and minor aracanar....

You can certainly find the commonly accepted card meanings online, and here’s a site I found from a quick Google search:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Major arcana are the 22 “main” cards. The biggies, the ones that are distinct in and of themselves and often treated as their own archetypes. The rest of the cards are minor arcana. Think of them kinda like the cards in a playing card deck, with the suits and all. (That’s not a perfect analogy, but kinda just to give you an idea of how they’re categorized)
There’s the fuller breakdown on the site I linked to, though.

When it comes to getting practice in by yourself, this is why I mentioned “practice questions”. Trivial things that you may be curious about, but aren’t going to put a lot of personal stock into. Especially if it’s got a short-term answer that will come to pass pretty soon, so you can see whether your reading was accurate. For example, what’s the weather going to be today. What’s the next ad on the TV going to look like.

(By this point I am going to say that if Alfher answers these same questions in a bit, I’d go with his answer because he’s clearly more qualified lmao)

Alfher

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards

1: I recommend finding your deck first, because most decks have their own book that is written specifically for the unique art and symbolism in that deck, and for many decks the book is included in the purchase.

For more basic and general reference, my favorite website is Biddy:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Online in general isn’t a reliable source but there are some reliable sources on the internet. :) The site Scotty linked to is decent as well.

2: The Wildwood isn’t too metaphysically advanced. But most decks are cheaper and a bit more simple than the Alchemical Tarot. You can get the Wildwood and many others online, but I recommended finding a local place to feel things out because it’s a unique experience to be in a physical shop feeling things out. You can always buy more decks online later. :)

3: You can also practice on questions that you aren’t deeply emotionally invested in like Scotty said, and as you hang around here and other places like this I’m sure you’ll make more friends who can do readings with you and provide questions for you to practice with. :)

4: Journaling progress in general is a great practice and I definitely recommend it for everyone. It’s great to be able to look back and see exactly how much you’ve grown and changed over the years or exactly which day you had a bright idea or wondrous experience on.

5: The difference between an oracle deck and a tarot deck basically comes down to structure. An oracle deck generally has no organization of hierarchy or patterns of progression (though sometimes they do), but is often just a collection of individual cards that relate to each other in some broader way…for example, I have the Druid Animal Oracle, which depicts animal cards from Celtic lore based on Celtic animal symbolism. There’s no real hierarchy between the animals, they’re just a collection of animals from Celtic lore presented on cards. I’ve never once used it for divination, but I have used it for magic and initiation, to build connections with the animal spirits represented. Others use it for divination just fine, based on the meanings of the animal symbolism. There are angels oracles, there’s an oracle for the Norse goddess Freya that I wanna get soon (also for magical purposes), and all kinds of things.

A tarot deck is always some structure of four suites in a minor arcana (the standard poker deck style card structure), and the trumps of the major arcana. This originally started in medieval card games, where the major arcana were cards that could literally trump and beat cards played in the minor arcana. Today, it’s more about divination and life symbolism - the major arcana are symbolic of the large patterns and events of life, such as love and death and catastrophes, the sun, the moon, and the stars. Big things. The minor arcana are about the nitty gritty details of life, the emotional ups and downs of every day existence.

And there’s all kinds of tarot decks that use that systemic format to present all kinds of patterns and lessons with all kinds of art and symbolism. Meanwhile, oracle cards don’t have to follow that structure, and can just be a random number of cards with some symbolic theme like Celtic Animals, Freya’s Lore, angels, or whatever.

Does that make sense? :)

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Buy a deck and use the booklet...read a lot for others, get practice, see if you can read them accurately

Find a simple layout that’s easy for you to use to start, say 3 cards then 5. As you progress and see you’re actually going well You can do big spreads like 15 cards.

remember that the cards (this is my opinion) the cards are just a tool, they may very well be a window into psychological or psychic mind? In other words there’s nothing magic about them it’s you.