• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

The Internet is Rotting Away

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Moved to the Technology section because it's better suited for it.

Great video, if a bit dramatic. Not that that's such a bad thing in this day and age, but trust me, as someone who works with internet technologies full time; there's millions of people aware of this and working to fix it. The whole time I was watching the video, I was screaming internally: "blockchain will fix that, blockchain doesn't have that problem" etc πŸ˜‚ And yeah, blockchain is evolving and expanding and a lot of the problems highlighted in this video will be addressed over time. It's a good video.

Thing is though, this is how technology works. Things are generally invented/developed to solve problems. When writing on paper was invented, it made writing things down super easy... but there were naysayers "paper gets destroyed way more easily than writing on stone tablets do!" that was true... and when it became a serious problem, we started binding and covering papers into books, and building libraries to house and protect them. When tape drives/storage was invented, it made it really easy for computers to output and save data... but some naysayer said "it only takes 1 magnet to ruin a whole cabinet of tapes, but punch cards/paper outputs are forever!"... and then we invented magnet resistant tapes and CDs etc to store data.

Likewise with the internet, link rot, and modern ephemeral data, the problem is being recognized and actively worked on. Blockchain is one of the solutions, but has it's own problems too. Like serious problems. But all of these problems, when they reach a critical point of failure, will be addressed and resolved.

But this is one of my real interests. Preservation and persistence of information and knowledge. It's really the main reason I rebooted WF, and CotI before that. I don't do it because I'm some master occultist or poser who wants to sell books. I do it for the preservation and free access to valuable information. It's the reason for WF, it's the reason for the Internet Archive, it's the reason data hoarders like myself exist.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know much about technology from a developer standpoint. I wasn't even aware of things like link rot. I just buy Bitcoin and try to find low cap gems or memecoins before they explode and get out before they free fall. Also trying to figure out this metaverse thing and how it will actually function

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know much about technology from a developer standpoint. I wasn't even aware of things like link rot. I just buy Bitcoin and try to find low cap gems or memecoins before they explode and get out before they free fall. Also trying to figure out this metaverse thing and how it will actually function
I don't like the idea of the metaverse, although the concept will likely be prolific in the far future, I don't think it's what the world needs right now. My prediction is it'll be the downfall of "Meta" aka facebook.

If you can make a buck off it though, by all means, go for it πŸ˜‚

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I don't like the idea of the metaverse, although the concept will likely be prolific in the far future, I don't think it's what the world needs right now. My prediction is it'll be the downfall of "Meta" aka facebook.

If you can make a buck off it though, by all means, go for it πŸ˜‚
Why don't you like the metaverse? Only drawbacks I can see (again, I'm an end user and not on the development side so my view is pretty narrow lol) is people spending too much time "plugged in" to the metaverse rather than having real face to face interactions. Neglecting friends , family and even themselves. I think there was an episode of law & order SVU that had a similar concept with online gaming. If I recall correctly the episode featured a nerdy couple who had a child but they spent all of their time in this MMO game and their child ended up dying or nearly dying due to starvation because they spent so much time in the game when they came out they were unable to separate reality from the game and didn't see their physical daughter as their actual daughter since they had a daughter in the game.

Outside of stuff like us becoming more distant socially (IRL), I can't see any negatives. Help me see some lol!

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Why don't you like the metaverse? Only drawbacks I can see (again, I'm an end user and not on the development side so my view is pretty narrow lol) is people spending too much time "plugged in" to the metaverse rather than having real face to face interactions. Neglecting friends , family and even themselves. I think there was an episode of law & order SVU that had a similar concept with online gaming. If I recall correctly the episode featured a nerdy couple who had a child but they spent all of their time in this MMO game and their child ended up dying or nearly dying due to starvation because they spent so much time in the game when they came out they were unable to separate reality from the game and didn't see their physical daughter as their actual daughter since they had a daughter in the game.

Outside of stuff like us becoming more distant socially (IRL), I can't see any negatives. Help me see some lol!
The social aspect is definitely one of the major things for me.

All in all, here are the downsides I think of:
  • Further deterioration of human socialization (I can go into a whole new thread of why that's bad at both an individual and societal level)
  • The tech simply isn't there yet for it to be immersive. The models and textures are as smooth as Zark Fuckerberg's brain. When it should be as detailed as his scaly lizard skin
  • WFH is great and all, but if companies start trying to make "virtual offices" that you have to be in 9-12 hours a day with "e-snack bars" and dumb shit like that, I'm gonna be so fucking done (this is legit one of the aims of metaverse btw)
  • It's closed source, and proprietary. Meta is trying to rush this so that they can be first through the door, and have full control over something that's gonna take over so many lives and gather so, so much data. And we'll never know what the "algorithms" are and how we are "ranked" and like the video you posted says, you have no idea what information will be changed, deleted, what you'll be blocked and banned from that you end up NEEDING because everyone else uses it, or what information gets censored. It's too much control for a filthy corporation like Facebook to be having
  • It's basically going to be a data-harvesting and microtransaction-riddled profit machine. It's not gonna be good for you... it's gonna be good for THEM. That's how they'll keep it free, by harvesting your data and enslaving you to their microtransaction bullshit 24/7
The data-collection, censorship, level of megacorporation control, microtransactions in games, websites etc, paying for fucking nudes... literal pixels... on sites like onlyfans... it's already ruining humanity. Metaverse and shit like it are just taking all of that shit and flooring the gas on it.

Trust me, this shit is fucked.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Oh man, thanks! I agree with almost everything. Only thing is the centralization of the metaverse. While Facebook, or Meta, is pretty much spearheading the metaverse I don't think they and the few other companies who threw their names in the ring will be the only metaverses out there. There are some great innovations happening in the crypto space with NFT-based gaming that will lend itself to the creation of decentralized metaverses. I for one, will not be engaging in any sort of centralized metaverse unless it's absolutely necessary, such as for work or whatever. Meta and Microsoft and Valve and whoever else will surely be major players for the average person's metaverse. But then there are those of us like you and I who will be engaging in the smaller, yet open source metaverses built on blockchains like ETH and SOL.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Oh man, thanks! I agree with almost everything. Only thing is the centralization of the metaverse. While Facebook, or Meta, is pretty much spearheading the metaverse I don't think they and the few other companies who threw their names in the ring will be the only metaverses out there. There are some great innovations happening in the crypto space with NFT-based gaming that will lend itself to the creation of decentralized metaverses. I for one, will not be engaging in any sort of centralized metaverse unless it's absolutely necessary, such as for work or whatever. Meta and Microsoft and Valve and whoever else will surely be major players for the average person's metaverse. But then there are those of us like you and I who will be engaging in the smaller, yet open source metaverses built on blockchains like ETH and SOL.
Yeah, a decentralized version of this VR concept is honestly inevitable. But the tech for it just isn't there yet. I'm thinking 5-10 years at least. Blockchain isn't developed and fast enough yet to handle the brutal MEGADATA involved with having a completely blockchain based gameverse.

No way this guy is human. I'm not really into the conspiracy game anymore since I started taking my occultism super super seriously like six or seven years ago but Mark isn't human. If there ever was a race of reptilians he would be it πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I know, right?! πŸ˜‚

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah. I don't wanna wait 10 years but you're right, the tech isn't there. I can make a phone call without issues, imagine a whole VR experience that has to buffer or something lol