• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

The Seven Planetary Degrees or Fraters of the Seven Planets [MSS] + Masonic rituals [MSS] The twelve zodiacal degrees by Frater F. G. Irwin

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Awards
I like the enthusiasm that's growing around here, appreciate everyone taking interest. At the moment I think the most reasonable approach would be taking one page at a time per person, since cuneiform looks easier to make out than this scribble..
Lol yeah, true true. The sheer power of weaponized autism only goes so far.

Caduceus

Neophyte
Do we know what handed he was? I'll assume right but maybe he was an extraordinary lefty (not likely as my Grandma told me she was repeatedly smacked and tied to be forced a righty).

It looks like quite a nifty challenge. Makes you roll around your head how to do a bit of each page. I'm thinking spread sheet here with lines and columns and using an art program to divide the lines on the pages. I always go to spreadsheet mode for some reason.

Since there are pic files here its easy to have multiple copies including ones you mark off/blacken that you transcribed (but still having other copies).

btw, the mega downloads worked perfectly. This really reminds ne of when my sister and I tried so hard to decipher a relative's journal left in the family. It can be from fun to frustrating.

I'll further advise that while dividing the work is a good idea, it might be fine for everyone involved to try the whole thing as they see fit to try. Different people may see something different in the writing so each can compare notes.

Anyone know any handwriting analyzers?

cheers.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Awards
Do we know what handed he was? I'll assume right but maybe he was an extraordinary lefty (not likely as my Grandma told me she was repeatedly smacked and tied to be forced a righty).

It looks like quite a nifty challenge. Makes you roll around your head how to do a bit of each page. I'm thinking spread sheet here with lines and columns and using an art program to divide the lines on the pages. I always go to spreadsheet mode for some reason.

Since there are pic files here its easy to have multiple copies including ones you mark off/blacken that you transcribed (but still having other copies).

btw, the mega downloads worked perfectly. This really reminds ne of when my sister and I tried so hard to decipher a relative's journal left in the family. It can be from fun to frustrating.

cheers.
As a lefty with absolutely atrocious handwriting, I will be snickering in my grave if people in the future try this hard to decipher my personal shit.

Caduceus

Neophyte
I knowthe feeling. I hated ink the most but even pencil could turn my page into a smeer. Fingers ached, hand ached trying to not smear. Yeah, typing class was like heaven.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Awards
I knowthe feeling. I hated ink the most but even pencil could turn my page into a smeer. Fingers ached, hand ached trying to not smear. Yeah, typing class was like heaven.
Fifteen-year-old me discovering erasable pens was also heaven, for the same reason with smearing. It felt like I could either not smear with pens but lose the ability to erase, or smear really badly with a pencil. But then suddenly, holy shit what's this? I can have my cake and eat it too??

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Awards

I'll further advise that while dividing the work is a good idea, it might be fine for everyone involved to try the whole thing as they see fit to try. Different people may see something different in the writing so each can compare notes.

Anyone know any handwriting analyzers?

cheers.
I am working on either sourcing or developing a collaborative documentation tool, as I am hoping this won't be the last text we work as a community to decipher. If it's taking too long, I will set up either a google doc or spreadsheet.

ryen

Neophyte
Awards
Wow its really cool to see documents that not many have had the chance to.

Anyone know the context of the rituals outside of them being planetary? And what’s the tie to masonry? Was this like a separate Masonic lodge?

Also, count me in for helping decipher it! I’ll gladly tackle a page when it’s time.

Mart

Chaos Alchemist
Archivist
Awards
Anyone know the context of the rituals outside of them being planetary?
Im not sure about the details, as I'm unbable to read the thing myself.
And what’s the tie to masonry?
It is a manuscript handwritten by an actual freemason and since their system incorporates a lot of planetary magick, it's safe to assume the contents of these texts were/are some of the actual practices of the initiates, as the title "Masonic Rituals" would obviously suggest.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Awards
Almost settled in at the new house. Can't wait to start taking a whack at this. Was a site ever setup for collaboration?

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Awards
Sorry, I haven't had the chance yet. I will try to get it set up this weekend.
I am a system and network admin and have a lot of hosting resources I can tap into. I've been trying to find a piece of software that would do what we want, but I'm stumped. Any idea on what software would be good for this?

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Awards
I am a system and network admin and have a lot of hosting resources I can tap into. I've been trying to find a piece of software that would do what we want, but I'm stumped. Any idea on what software would be good for this?
I too am looking for a good self-hosted collaborative editing tool that would fit this purpose. That's mainly the cause of the delay.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Awards
I too am looking for a good self-hosted collaborative editing tool that would fit this purpose. That's mainly the cause of the delay.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
That's exactly what we need. Just not at $80/mo. The search continues, but at least we know there IS software out there for this specific purpose.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Awards
That's exactly what we need. Just not at $80/mo. The search continues, but at least we know there IS software out there for this specific purpose.
Holy shit, 80 bucks a month. Yeah, that's a bit much even for me for just 1 ongoing project. God damn, it does look perfect for what we need to do though.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Awards
Holy shit, 80 bucks a month. Yeah, that's a bit much even for me for just 1 ongoing project. God damn, it does look perfect for what we need to do though.
Not sure how I missed it (actually yes I do, it's not exactly right out in the open), but there's a community/open source version of FromThePage. Just installed it and trying to create a project to see if it'll meet our needs.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Awards
Oh yeah, this is sweet. This is exactly what we need. I can setup a useable server if you want, or if you want to host it, the community version is here:

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Awards
Oh yeah, this is sweet. This is exactly what we need. I can setup a useable server if you want, or if you want to host it, the community version is here:
I've had a look, and I'm not super keen to install the tech stack for it (mainly RoR as I'm not too familiar with rails).

At the same time, I think it's important to keep it hosted on the same server and platform as WF, to allow for integrations and lifespan.

I was looking into this:

It seems to be PHP based which would work well with my current server and tech stack that I use for WF.

More info:

To be honest, I'm thinking about just installing MediaWiki and setting up individual pages for each page of the manuscript, and allowing users to edit the text to transcribe it. It's a less refined but similar approach to FromThePage...

Thoughts? I want to keep it as easy, extensible and integratable as possible.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Awards
I've had a look, and I'm not super keen to install the tech stack for it (mainly RoR as I'm not too familiar with rails).

At the same time, I think it's important to keep it hosted on the same server and platform as WF, to allow for integrations and lifespan.

I was looking into this:

It seems to be PHP based which would work well with my current server and tech stack that I use for WF.

More info:

To be honest, I'm thinking about just installing MediaWiki and setting up individual pages for each page of the manuscript, and allowing users to edit the text to transcribe it. It's a less refined but similar approach to FromThePage...

Thoughts? I want to keep it as easy, extensible and integratable as possible.
I was looking at Scripto, but I think it's an add-on to other software (Omeka). FromThePage looks perfect. On their community wiki is a link to a docker container for FromThePage (what I actually used for test), which might limit the amount of local software you need to install. Straight MediaWiki sounds doable, but probably no the most user friendly method for this type of transcription.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Awards
I was looking at Scripto, but I think it's an add-on to other software (Omeka). FromThePage looks perfect. On their community wiki is a link to a docker container for FromThePage (what I actually used for test), which might limit the amount of local software you need to install. Straight MediaWiki sounds doable, but probably no the most user friendly method for this type of transcription.
Omeka would be good anyway for the future to host the "Library of WF".

FromThePage does look good, just the techstack issue. If I switch WF to the cloud then yeah I could install the docker image... but right now I'm running it on a rented VPS geared for PHP deployments.

Hmmm.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Awards
But you know what, just for this current manuscript, because I'm extremely maxed out on my bandwidth these days (got so many things going on), I wouldn't mind if you managed to set it up and give me some access, we can trial it and see how it goes...