• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Thoughts on the premise of NAP?

Someone's asking for help!

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
It seems that the NAP main premise is based on the idea that each individual has the ability to access and harness the power of the cosmos (New Avatar Power) through their own consciousness and will. Rather than relying on external forces or entities, NAP encourages those to develop their own personal psychic powers and to use it to shape their reality.

I feel like this approach is somewhat unique in the realm of magick, where the traditional systems emphasize the importance of invoking and working with spiritual entities or deities and using complicated chants, sigils, etc. However, NAP seems to take the view that these activities are almost like "stage dressing", and the practitioner can come to a similar state of mind using NAP's rather easy to use rituals.

Just curious what you all have to say, I know NAP has been around since the 70s I believe, but I have only recently learned about it.

Regenerate response

Reaction score
Awards
god damn, i love labels as much as the next guy, shit, who doesnt like to be pigeon holed?

so what do you really want to know? do you want to be like Rasputin? are you charismatic? i can make people move by smiling, my thoughts alone invoke an emotional response, do you want that kind of power?

i am engaged in some high level fuckery on the edge of social oblivion, the interactions i am having with these people is off the charts, i dont give a shit what you call it, there is no better way to have fun on this planet than destroying paradigms and returning a soul to the universe

if the power of magic flows from the consciousness then magic is whatever you imagine it to be

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I don’t think I ever heard of it. I looked at the blurbs for Geoff Gray-Cobb’s book and it read almost like a parody of various health-and-wealth snake oil schemes that have popped up in self help and metaphysical sections for a long time. I almost laughed at Geoff’s boast that he went from lowly factory worker to driving a sports car and living in a high rise. I was half expecting him to add “on-demand intercourse with alien sex goddesses” a la Church of the SubGenius. The whole attitude just seems crass and stupid to me. Maybe it works but then what?

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I don’t think I ever heard of it. I looked at the blurbs for Geoff Gray-Cobb’s book and it read almost like a parody of various health-and-wealth snake oil schemes that have popped up in self help and metaphysical sections for a long time. I almost laughed at Geoff’s boast that he went from lowly factory worker to driving a sports car and living in a high rise. I was half expecting him to add “on-demand intercourse with alien sex goddesses” a la Church of the SubGenius. The whole attitude just seems crass and stupid to me. Maybe it works but then what?
Yes, the “case histories” in the book are most definitely fabricated, which i chalk up to just the style of writing at the time.

it could be argued that the case histories help put you in the right state of mind by visualizing success, so perhaps it is not so important if they are true or not…

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I can appreciate the usefulness of fake testimonials and mythologizing, it’s all part of the work sometimes, but “used car salesman” or “diet pill hawker” is not a mode of discourse that engages me personally. In terms of substance, is it dramatically different from what I might find in, say, books by Phil Hine?

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I can appreciate the usefulness of fake testimonials and mythologizing, it’s all part of the work sometimes, but “used car salesman” or “diet pill hawker” is not a mode of discourse that engages me personally.
Yeah, totally see where you’re coming from and it is a little corny, I think it’s important to acknowledge while it is corny and basically a parody for a scam artist, that back then that was the normal language and tactics to use like a 1970s commercial.

I was more looking past the style or writing to the “meat” of his philosophy, which ultimately is a new way to look at energy work, which is what NAP basically is more or less.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
While the claims are dubious, many people on Studioarcanis swear by this book. Seems like it has to be read fully for a talismanic effect, with myth in it.
Post automatically merged:

There are also two follow ups to NAP. You may wanna take a look at those too.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
While the claims are dubious, many people on Studioarcanis swear by this book. Seems like it has to be read fully for a talismanic effect, with myth in it.
Post automatically merged:

There are also two follow ups to NAP. You may wanna take a look at those too.
Yes, people on SA go nuts go it, I think there is some validity to having a “modern grimoire” as we can better connect to it since we are in the modern age.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I had edited my prior post to ask, in substance how does this method differ from, say, something outlined in Phil Hine’s books on Chaos Magick?

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Definitely. I do not see how it is really different from the adored myth of old. Hell, snake oil approach is more grounded in reality than myth.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I had edited my prior post to ask, in substance how does this method differ from, say, something outlined in Phil Hine’s books on Chaos Magick?
I have not read any of Hine’s books, but I did notice how similar it is to chaos magick in theory.

Reaction score
Awards
It seems that the NAP main premise is based on the idea that each individual has the ability to access and harness the power of the cosmos (New Avatar Power) through their own consciousness and will. Rather than relying on external forces or entities, NAP encourages those to develop their own personal psychic powers and to use it to shape their reality.

I feel like this approach is somewhat unique in the realm of magick, where the traditional systems emphasize the importance of invoking and working with spiritual entities or deities and using complicated chants, sigils, etc. However, NAP seems to take the view that these activities are almost like "stage dressing", and the practitioner can come to a similar state of mind using NAP's rather easy to use rituals.

Just curious what you all have to say, I know NAP has been around since the 70s I believe, but I have only recently learned about it.

Regenerate response
My journal of 200% effort was a failed experiment, since I did not master fundamentals of psychic powers first. Did not work as much as stated in the title, so didn't get fantastic results. I have to say, NAP in this regard may have virtue.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
it could be argued that the case histories help put you in the right state of mind by visualizing success, so perhaps it is not so important if they are true or not…
They really are no different than the 5star reviews on Amazon by Facebook friends.

NAP is a really cool grimoire. I like the system of Words of Power (as is probably obvious by my own writings) and the combination of angels from different classes / systems etc.
One thing that really inspired me as well is the sign to close off the ritual in NAP (forgot the name) where you trace a symbol in the air in front of you and vibrate Dee-Hee-Theoth (or similar).
I am pretty sure this symbol is the name ISV in the Celestial Alphabet.
This would be Jesus or the name of Ben Ani. I have based my style of tracing seals in the air and stepping into them on this.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, totally see where you’re coming from and it is a little corny, I think it’s important to acknowledge while it is corny and basically a parody for a scam artist, that back then that was the normal language and tactics to use like a 1970s commercial.

I was more looking past the style or writing to the “meat” of his philosophy, which ultimately is a new way to look at energy work, which is what NAP basically is more or less.
If it was meant in a spirit of fun or satire then the guy has my respect and I repent my naysaying.

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: New Avatar Power (NAP)?
SUBTOPIC: The Validity

※→ Lemongrass00, Xingtian, et al,​

Yes! In my research, I found the same book in my library: The Miracle of New Avatar Power (NAP) written by Geof Graay-Cobb, © 1974, Parker Publishing Company, West Nyack, New York

(COMMENT)

I apologize, but I found the notion of NAP put me to sleep. It seemed to me; that the NAP is a variation of the chants, invocations, and incantations associated with Sigils, Talisman, Amulets, Alchemy, and magic rituals, as well as the numerous ancient Hebrew/Jewish, Egyptian, and Persian Symbols and inscriptions.

It would be (IMO) better to master one or two sets of these notations rather than to be merely familiar with the basket full of these approaches. Avatars may be symbols that imply an incantation (etc) or an entity: (EXAMPLE)

The most significant of these is Krishna,
an avatar (incarnation) of the creator god
Vishnu who descends into human form

to battle the forces of chaos.
SOURCE: The Encyclopedia of Magic and Alchemy, © 2006 by Visionary Living, Inc.
1611604183365.png

Most Respectfully,
R

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
RE: New Avatar Power (NAP)?
SUBTOPIC: The Validity

※→ Lemongrass00, Xingtian, et al,​

Yes! In my research, I found the same book in my library: The Miracle of New Avatar Power (NAP) written by Geof Graay-Cobb, © 1974, Parker Publishing Company, West Nyack, New York

(COMMENT)

I apologize, but I found the notion of NAP put me to sleep. It seemed to me; that the NAP is a variation of the chants, invocations, and incantations associated with Sigils, Talisman, Amulets, Alchemy, and magic rituals, as well as the numerous ancient Hebrew/Jewish, Egyptian, and Persian Symbols and inscriptions.

It would be (IMO) better to master one or two sets of these notations rather than to be merely familiar with the basket full of these approaches. Avatars may be symbols that imply an incantation (etc) or an entity: (EXAMPLE)

The most significant of these is Krishna,
an avatar (incarnation) of the creator god
Vishnu who descends into human form

to battle the forces of chaos.
SOURCE: The Encyclopedia of Magic and Alchemy, © 2006 by Visionary Living, Inc.
1611604183365.png

Most Respectfully,
R
Have you read the amazing secrets of NAP? One of the “updates” was to make the system work without using mystic names, sigils, etc except your own.

Reaction score
Awards
Had no idea an avatar meant incarnation, interesting point. What exactly are we evoking or invoking through Words of Power, and NAP (LoA for that matter)?

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
If you wanna crack NAP, take Liber 777, preferably revised version, or Liber 776,75, the latter one being the most expanded version.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Had no idea an avatar meant incarnation, interesting point. What exactly are we evoking or invoking through Words of Power, and NAP (LoA for that matter)?
In TSONAP, he makes the analogy in regards to instead of using mystic beings to align you to cosmic energy, you develop your own power or “enter your own key in the door”. Very interesting idea.