• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Tutorial writing - how do you know when you've mastered something enough, to do so?

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I really like candles, despite their personal unavailability to me at times. I appreciate being pointed to Anna Rivas, Denise Alvarez, and Phillip Cooper. Raymond Buckland wrote a brief bit on it, Laurie Cabot expounded on it, and Scott Cunningham laid it out in a Wicca book.
Id like to cover the entirety of low magick using candles, with or without sigils, dressed or undressed.

So, what should be the main points of subject matter expert explanation? Not necessarily on candles, thats a side point, but the topic you chose.

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
That you bring your own views and understanding to it rather than write the same thing that has been done thousands of times before. Parroting what you read or were told may sound good but adds nothing.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I'd say if you've done it enough times that you feel comfortable just listing out steps without referencing something, that's a good start. The kinds of magic I do the most and feel the most comfortable writing about, will be things that I can easily pull from memory. Having enough experience actually doing it, also means that you can give more personal tips. How a reader knows they're doing it right, things that may happen during the procedure or frequent stumbling blocks, etc.

In general, there's a lot of redundant and dry information out there, especially for basics like candle magic. Being able to contribute something to the conversation because you have actually practiced, means you're not just adding to the noise in an armchair sort of way. That's just my two cents on the matter, at least.