• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Ubuntu Linux vs Debian Linux, particularly firewalling and security

Someone's asking for help!
Reaction score
Awards
In ubuntu, I was using a VPS (virtual private server) through a hosting company. The servers are internet ready, with no security installed. We were using Ubuntu, based on system requirements for multimedia streaming software. We now may have to shift to Debian Linux.

So, the first steps I do on Ubuntu are:
1. Configure iptables to only allow whitelist IPs and drop everyone else, and ports set for HTTP, HTTPS and SSH.
2. Install and update and configure portsetnry -- failed on ubuntu 20.04, but works on versions 14-18 much like the streaming software.
3. Install and update and configure fail2ban -- supposedly works on Debian and Ubuntu.

However, I am not finding either of these packages on Debian ... anyone know if fail2ban and portsentry are on Debian?

Reaction score
Awards
How does this relate to magic?

As the business takes off and I have money, I will buy my own instance and host information and music related to the occult. And part of the business taking off, may be related to magic as well.

Reaction score
Awards
After a few google searches, the packages apparently exist even on the latest Debian version.

So, we can close this or I can add to it as a tutorial if it would be welcomed. If not, sorry for creating this without sufficient research.

Reaction score
Awards
By the way, starting in Buster release version on Debian, iptables will be replaced by nftables.
Post automatically merged:

This thread can be closed as I am no longer on this project.

Last edited: