• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

What is Will?

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
We see this word Will in the four laws, and countless authors books. But what exactly is Will? Is it the same as Willpower?
In my days with Fraternity of the Hidden Light, I had the opportunity to learn the Split Frame Method to merge time/self.
I then later willed Orobas to stand beside someone who requested I do it. In the BALG days.

So then, what is will, and is it different than hope, imagination, or willpower?

Taudefindi

Disciple
Staff member
Jr. Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
But what exactly is Will? Is it the same as Willpower?
Based on the language alone, I consider will to be the short form of willpower.

So then, what is will, and is it different than hope, imagination, or willpower?
Will = Willpower
Hope isn't will, it's more like faith mixed with optimism.You "expect" something good.
Imagination is the power to create(in a sense) but imagination alone won't give shape to something just because you can see it in your mind's eye.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Not sure. You also have to mind that I am not an English native, but I think Willpower is just a part of something much more.

Will in an occult sense goes pretty deep, not sure if I can justify it with an explanation truly. But if Will and Willpower was just one and the same there wouldn't be a concept called true will methinks. I don't really know though. Its not an easy subject to grasp fully.

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
If i understand correctly, Will (as Crowley uses it in "Do what thou wilt") is what your higher self actually intended to do / become when it incarnated into you.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe the first clear discussion of will, as distinguished between the faculty of will, the object of will, and the act of willing, arises during the 7th century Christological debates in the East Roman church. Maximus the Confessor tried to tackle this with as much precision as possible, including a distinction between “natural will” (phusikon thelema) and “gnomic will”. The former is probably approximate to Crowley’s idea of “true will”. Anyone if you want to read some super technical theological debates about will the writings of Maximus might be interesting.

bgshawn499

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Not sure. You also have to mind that I am not an English native, but I think Willpower is just a part of something much more.

Will in an occult sense goes pretty deep, not sure if I can justify it with an explanation truly. But if Will and Willpower was just one and the same there wouldn't be a concept called true will methinks. I don't really know though. Its not an easy subject to grasp fully.

Thats what's wrong with you! LMAO :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
All fair answers ... Lol, for the most part.

On the dilemma of English...
Let's take will vs willpower first.
It is my will to force out any and all self limiting beliefs.
It will take willpower to accomplish my will.
So we see in this example the two are related or similar, but not the same.
To magicians anyway.
If Crowley were to accomplish his will, it would take someone else at least three times more willpower to will his will.

I think anyway.
Will is obviously both a noun and verb.

frsfmcs

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Imagine Will as the first node of a binary tree. Then that tree spreads into different types of the application of that will. Now every type of that will has a unit of measurement attached to it because not all of these wills are equal in the amount of time that is needed to master them. Then, if we add all those numbers attached to every application of will up we will get willpower. At least that is how I imagine it.

Bo Hanson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
We see this word Will in the four laws, and countless authors books. But what exactly is Will? Is it the same as Willpower?
In my days with Fraternity of the Hidden Light, I had the opportunity to learn the Split Frame Method to merge time/self.
I then later willed Orobas to stand beside someone who requested I do it. In the BALG days.

Will, from a philosophical point of view, is a faculty of the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. Psychologists will describe will as important as one of the parts of the mind, along with
and
. It is considered central to the field of
because of its role in enabling deliberate
. The classical treatment of the ethical importance of the Will is found in the works of Aristotle and Platon. Later through history Immanuel Kant's theory of the will consists of the will being guided subjectively by maxims and objectively via laws. Others, like Rousseau and Locke came out with treatises and theories about Will and Ethics.
disagreed with Kant's critics and stated that it is absurd to assume that phenomena have no basis. He proposed instead that we cannot know the thing in itself as though it is a cause of phenomena. Instead, he said that we can know it by knowing our own body, which is the only thing that we can know at the same time as both a phenomenon and a thing in itself.

also deal with issues of will and "willpower" and connect the term "Will" with the ability to affect will in behavior; some people are highly intrinsically motivated and do whatever seems best to them, while others are "weak-willed" and easily suggestible (extrinsically motivated) by society or outward inducement. Apparent failures of the will and volition have also been reported associated with a number of mental and neurological disorders. In this way advocates of
's psychology stressed the importance of the influence of the
upon the apparent conscious exercise of will although he got many critics from other scientists who did not believe in his psychoanalysis theory.

A recurring question in
is about "Free Will" and the related, but more general notion of
—which asks how the will can truly be free if a person's actions have either natural or divine causes
them. In turn, this is directly connected to discussions on the nature of freedom and to the

As you can see, the term Will is debated largely in fields of P
, Sociology, Psychology etc. Did you get the picture yet?