• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Easy Oven Jerky

Anziel_Merkaba

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I don't really have any pictures, but I'll tell you how I make jerky. I usually make pork jerky since it's easy and relatively cheap compared to some other meats. At my local grocery store they always have sales on pork shoulder.

You're gonna want to get your meat sliced into slices about 1/2"-3/4" thick, and you want to marinade it for a few days in a gallon size zipper bag.

I usually use a mixture of soy sauce, a little molasses, salt, pepper, and some Tabasco (or similarly tasting pepper sauce). The marinade mixture is just sort of freehand but it should be a similar consistency to salad dressing.

When you're ready to cook it, preheat the oven to around 200-225. When you take the meat out of the marinade pat it dry with paper towels before putting it on a broiler pan. Pop it in the oven then crack the oven door open about an inch with either a wooden spoon or whatever you feel like using.

Let it cook for about 4 hours, take it out and flip it, then put it back in for another 45 minutes.

Take it out and let it cool, and it'll be good.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
im planning on building my own smoker and use beef, but the question is still the same. is there a reason you use shoulder? i was thinking of using a leg.

Anziel_Merkaba

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
im planning on building my own smoker and use beef, but the question is still the same. is there a reason you use shoulder? i was thinking of using a leg.
I use it because at my local grocery store it's usually on sale and there's always plenty of it. Like 4lbs for $10 cheap.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
ah, ok i thought maybe it had to do with taste or fat percentage. that the reason i was thinking meat and leg. pork is cheaper true, but the taste makes me literally wanna puke. to be honest ive used it before as an antinomian tool, after building up a big religious fence and years of abstaining.
it was a cool dive, but the disgust for pork has stayed.

on the road i also found that saving for more expensive food is more enjoyable then just eating what was available at a certain price. and it prevents you from turning poverty into greed.

Anziel_Merkaba

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
ah, ok i thought maybe it had to do with taste or fat percentage. that the reason i was thinking meat and leg. pork is cheaper true, but the taste makes me literally wanna puke. to be honest ive used it before as an antinomian tool, after building up a big religious fence and years of abstaining.
it was a cool dive, but the disgust for pork has stayed.

on the road i also found that saving for more expensive food is more enjoyable then just eating what was available at a certain price. and it prevents you from turning poverty into greed.
The fatty parts of the meat actually turn into juicy little bits that make it more interesting IMO, and I happen to like pork so it works out fine for me. It's every bit as good as any jerky I've bought at a store, but I have a lot more for the same amount of money, so I'm happy.