• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Art] Learning pixel art

Graphics/Art

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Recently I started to learn how to do pixel art, not only because I still hope to one day work with games, but because I do enjoy the aesthetics of pixels when it comes to art.It's the digital version of paint on an actual canvas.

One thing I still have to learn is to always verify the size of the "canvas" when working with pixels, because what might seem like a big image will end up like this:
71c12670-e4a5-11ee-97b5-2ffe8999f527.gif

A very small image that, while it would work well as an icon for a game, isn't very visible so it defeats the purpose of making art with it.

Tiana Silvermoon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Very nice (=
Small canvas has it's uses, and you always can resize the image, just make sure to make it bigger by the powers of two (x2, x4, x8, etc.) and use software that has "nearest neighbor" algorithm for resizing, otherwise anti aliasing will ruin the pic.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
dc3cb9eb-e4c0-11ee-a927-2ffe8999f527.gif

Post automatically merged:

One thing I still have to learn is to always verify the size of the "canvas" when working with pixels, because what might seem like a big image will end up like this:
71c12670-e4a5-11ee-97b5-2ffe8999f527.gif
Resized:
10d5b90f-e4c1-11ee-8776-2ffe8999f527.gif

4d1206b0-e4c2-11ee-9fe3-2ffe8999f527.gif

That's enough experimentation for today!

Last edited:

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I love the blue gem! Maybe once you get fully into it, I can commission some work for WF.

However, I agree with @Tiana Silvermoon and @Signs & Sounds that pixel art should be "blocky" as in if you're scaling up the image, the "pixel" size should also be scaled up to maintain the low-fidelity aesthetic.

Here's an example of some pixel art that I have done:
delta_final.jpg

Even though it's quite a big canvas and the pixels are small, theres a lot of variation and pixelation visible.

This was my first attempt, so its not that great, I too hope to learn and practice.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Here's an example of some pixel art that I have done
I will definitely take time until I can get this good!

Green and red pics are nice, but they aren't pixel art though :)
Yeah, I realized way after.
Still, it was a good way for me to understand a bit how the program used works.

Obviously I still have a lot to learn.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
ada8937a-e647-11ee-a95a-6908689c1089.gif

I tried doing a night sky with lightning.Wanted to add a white elephant to this image too but I don't feel very confident with doing animals yet.

A more simple(and smaller) version of the previous art:
ae7f8a00-e643-11ee-801b-6908689c1089.gif

This started as trying to do a geometric snake(you can see the scales on the bottom part)...it ended up as some mishmash of pixel art with mosaic, I guess.
fdcf89c5-e8bf-11ee-a2ca-1db4ddf7dd86.gif

I done goofed.
I did a decent-ish tarot card art but then I screwed things up when resizing it.
Here it is in the original size:
93d3cd3a-e98c-11ee-8124-1db4ddf7dd86.gif

And here after trying to resize it:
f2092166-e98c-11ee-a035-1db4ddf7dd86.gif

Worst part is that I don't think I've saved it before changing it's size...
zac eubank omg GIF by Hyper RPG

Last edited:

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I think it would be better if you added a pixelated gradient/texture to the currently single-color blocks (like the rising sun, mountains, trees, grass) the same way you added a gradient in the lightning pic it would look more pixelarty. The problem with blocks of single colors is the only "pixels" you get to see are at the edge of 2 colors, so it ends up looking just like normal art done in MS Paint (no offense - I hope you understand what I mean).

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I think it would be better if you added a pixelated gradient/texture to the currently single-color blocks (like the rising sun, mountains, trees, grass) the same way you added a gradient in the lightning pic it would look more pixelarty. The problem with blocks of single colors is the only "pixels" you get to see are at the edge of 2 colors, so it ends up looking just like normal art done in MS Paint (no offense - I hope you understand what I mean).
I get what you mean.

At this moment I'm mostly "testing" things, maybe after a month or two I'll finally get the hang of pixel art and be able to do something more "pixel artsy" and with better consistency.

EDIT:
Right now I'm doing this
aa139b75-ee33-11ee-a9b1-61ca70319ad9.gif

I'm going "layer by layer"(the different hues, I mean) and each layer will have a different sillouette/image on it.

This one is taking it's sweet time to get done though since I'm doing it little by little and I don't always have time to deal with it.
First I want to get the "whole image" and then I'll slowly "trim it" until it looks more pixelated.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I get what you mean.

At this moment I'm mostly "testing" things, maybe after a month or two I'll finally get the hang of pixel art and be able to do something more "pixel artsy" and with better consistency.

EDIT:
Right now I'm doing this
aa139b75-ee33-11ee-a9b1-61ca70319ad9.gif

I'm going "layer by layer"(the different hues, I mean) and each layer will have a different sillouette/image on it.

This one is taking it's sweet time to get done though since I'm doing it little by little and I don't always have time to deal with it.
First I want to get the "whole image" and then I'll slowly "trim it" until it looks more pixelated.
Yeah exactly, see, the clouds look really "pixel arty" in this, but the floor and mountains lack texture and variations on the pixel level. I think you are getting the hang of it, and are already improving!

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Holy shit this looks amazing! You should do a pixel art tarot deck or something? Or sell prints on WF.
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm still way too green with pixel art(this art itself was done over an already existing image.Yes, it was done painstakingly one pixel by one pixel but it isn't an original art, you can easily find the original drawing of this by searching about the goetia demon).

Maybe by the middle of the year I might have enough skill to try my hand at doing occult art though.

If anything, these B&W images are helping me develop the commitment and patience necessary for more complex work, as well as learn about light/shadow and linework with pixels.

adb05363-f793-11ee-bf00-a3d0aff06fe2.gif

Inspired by my "alchemical reading" I made(well, tried to) a Chinese pill furnace.
I think I ended up mixing two types into one :ROFLMAO:

Painting(and pixelazing) over images of an old game
a96d4970-f85f-11ee-af59-557bc7c3d63a.gif

07f4401e-f862-11ee-9ba8-557bc7c3d63a.gif

d3722c4f-f865-11ee-805a-557bc7c3d63a.gif

1008ae54-f87c-11ee-a211-557bc7c3d63a.gif

Last edited: