• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Anyone have any plans for the solar eclipse on the 8th?

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I suppose it’s open to interpretation. I mean if someone was 99% in the path and felt that wasn’t enough vs someone who was 80% in the path and ready to rock and roll with it - who is likely to get the better outcome?

I cosnider it an astronomical event that occurred regardless of where you were.
Which gets into a tree in the forest situation. If I'm too far off to hear it, can I make use of the noise it made? I suppose the only thing to do is compare notes between magi at different locations.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
If one does not actually see the eclipse due to location outside its path, is any working based on it even possible?
My view is No (chaos magic aside) because astrological phenomena is fundamentally geocentric. Not literally but it is the interpretation of astrological stuff based on the perception of it from earth. Mercury does not really reverse course and travel backwards, Mercury Retrograde is a phenomenon based on how it looks to us from the surface of the earth

If the moon did not block the sun from your perspective (it didn't for me), then you didn't experience an eclipse. The sun was not eclipsed.

I'm pretty sure you can't do Liber Resh any time you like on the basis that it's always sunrise/noon/sunset somewhere (again, chaos magic aside)

I think plauuuusibly you could tap into egregorish energy. Like the sun was not eclipsed here, but there was a big mass of people on earth thinking and talking about the eclipse, and maybe that's energy you could use (<- hypothetical, I haven't tried that)

This is all speculation on my part, it's not a hill I'd die on

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
My view is No (chaos magic aside) because astrological phenomena is fundamentally geocentric. Not literally but it is the interpretation of astrological stuff based on the perception of it from earth. Mercury does not really reverse course and travel backwards, Mercury Retrograde is a phenomenon based on how it looks to us from the surface of the earth

If the moon did not block the sun from your perspective (it didn't for me), then you didn't experience an eclipse. The sun was not eclipsed.

I'm pretty sure you can't do Liber Resh any time you like on the basis that it's always sunrise/noon/sunset somewhere (again, chaos magic aside)

I think plauuuusibly you could tap into egregorish energy. Like the sun was not eclipsed here, but there was a big mass of people on earth thinking and talking about the eclipse, and maybe that's energy you could use (<- hypothetical, I haven't tried that)

This is all speculation on my part, it's not a hill I'd die on
The part I boldfaced above is probably the crux of the matter. I suppose my query about using an eclipse I didn't see is like one of those Dear Abby letters: "My identical twin started having sex with her b.f. Can I get pregnant?" Abby: "If you weren't there, don't sweat it."