• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Tutorial] Introducton to Lataif

Informative post.
Hi all, I would like to show you guys an interesting bit of sufism.

Lataif means "subtlety" and these Lataifs together make up the soul.

There are different interpretations of this concept, changing from sect to sect, I will be introducing the Naqshbandi point of view.

According to Imām Rabbanī Mujaddid Alf-i Thānī, a human being is formed from ten subtleties, five of those belong to the Command-World (ʿĀlam al-Amr) and five to the Creation-World (ʿĀlam al-Khalq). The five from the Command-World are: Qalb, Rūḥ, Sirr, Khafī and Akhfā; and the five from the Creation-World are: Nafs, and the four elements (fire, air, water and earth).

images

PWU3jVt.jpeg

The Qalb (heart) is located two finger-widths below the left nipple in the chest, somewhat oriented towards the side. The Nūr (spiritual light) of the heart is shining yellow.

The Laṭīfāh of Rūḥ (soul subtlety) is located two finger-widths below the right nipple in the chest, somewhat oriented towards the side. The seeker should do the Zikr of Allāh Allāh Allāh at this location by way of meditation and mental focus. The Nūr of this Laṭīfah is glittering red. This subtlety is associated with the negative emotions of anger and rage.

The Laṭīfāh of Sirr is located at a distance of two finger-widths from the left nipple towards the center of the chest. The Nūr of this Laṭīfah is pure white. This subtlety is associated with the spiritual disease of greed.

The Laṭīfāh named Khafī is located at a distance of two finger-widths from the right nipple towards the center of the chest. The Nūr of this Laṭīfah is pure black. This subtlety is associated with the spiritual disease of jealousy.

The laṭīfah of Akhfā is the highest spiritual faculty of a human being. It is located in the center of the chest between the two breasts. Its Nūr is green and it is associated with the spiritual diseases of pride and arrogance.

There are Zikrs (lets say equivelant of mantras) for each one of these Lataifs should one want to go through this path. I just wanted to show it to you folk, not expecting anyone to go through with this. I surely don't want to. But if you are interested, I will post the Zikrs.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
So I'm interested in the fact that this model seems to be made up solely of flaws? (Not that "anger" is a flaw necessarily, but hopefully you see what I mean - anger, greed, jealousy, arrogance, and I'm guessing "appetite" is something like gluttony)

Are their mirrors to this? (eg "when the laṭīfah of Akhfā is balanced it changes from arrogance to idk appropriate confidence that you can act on your will" or, knowing religion, to "humility before god")

Incidentally, nuru is the Akkadian/Babylonian word for light. Eg an epithet for the sun god Shamash is "Nuru Edeššu" - Ever-Renewing Light. So neat to say "Nur" here. Do you know if Nafs and Ruh are related to the Hebrew Nefesh and Ruach?

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Are their mirrors to this? (eg "when the laṭīfah of Akhfā is balanced it changes from arrogance to idk appropriate confidence that you can act on your will" or, knowing religion, to "humility before god")
Precisely that. I will post them, promise.

Do you know if Nafs and Ruh are related to the Hebrew Nefesh and Ruach?
Some sufis associate Nafs with ego, some think its psychological processes. Mental, emotional, yadda yadda.

I can see Ruh being one of those two you mentioned but since I don't know much of Jewish concept of soul I should rather not.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I can see Ruh being one of those two you mentioned but since I don't know much of Jewish concept of soul I should rather not.
Fair. Besides, it's really an etymological curiosity, not an occult one. Most of these words in most languages relate to the idea of "breath" but it doesn't mean every culture has the same concept of the soul

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
i cant reply much at this moment, but can i note that the big religions are not a culture. if you want to see this as neutral as possible: the soul is the same thing in the torah, bible and qoran.
putting aside the terminology argument because quoting dictionaries at each other would be boring and you understood what I meant anyway, I don't agree with that. I doubt everyone even within a single sect of Islam, Judaism or Christianity agrees on the nature of the soul. And that's just people alive now, not counting the way religions change over millennia. (For a start, "soul" is an English word and so means nothing to non-English speakers.)

My point was that just because two words share an etymological root doesn't mean they share a meaning (and therefore Vandheer shouldn't bother following up on my question about whether they do share an etymological root, because it doesn't really tell you what they actually believe those words entail, it's just a fun fact.)

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Lets contiune with the practice.

For a little commentary: The lines I will be copy pasting here are unchanged, I am not touching a word. However, I have a close friend who rised the ranks in Naqshbandi Tariqah, and I will be interviewing him about this method, and more, such as: What did he do? Did he do it? How much of this is needless? Is blessing of a Sheikh an absolute must? Etc.... We will surely pressure test this practice 👍.

Back to the method. To open the first Lataif:

When the shaykh teaches this lesson to a new seeker, he places his right index finger on this place and says “Allāh Allāh Allāh”, while exerting his spiritual Tawajjuh on his heart (this method is only for men, women are taught verbally).

The method of Zikr is this: the disciple, after being taught this lesson by the master, starts proclaiming the Personal Name of God, Allāh Allāh Allāh, in his heart by way of meditation. The tongue is not used in this method, rather it is recommended to touch it to the upper side of mouth to keep it silent. The seeker should clear the mind of all unnecessary thoughts and should keep busy in this Zikr at all times, even during the work.

Initially, it might be hard to do this Zikr at all times due to external distractions. But slowly, by practice and by the Shaykh’s blessings, the heart becomes used to this Zikr so much that no further effort is required to do the Zikr. It becomes automated like breath.

The Nūr (spiritual light) of the heart is shining yellow, as described by the masters of this ṭarīqah. However, viewing this color is not required, neither is the physical sound of heart’s Zikr required in this path. The real sign of completion of this lesson is that the heart is cleansed from the lust of the worldly desires, and attraction to the real Beloved and keenness of following the Sunnah and Shariah is achieved. As this subtlety is associated with the negative emotions of excessive appetite and sexual lust, it becomes easier to control these emotions.

Daily Murāqabāh (meditation) is necessary in this path from the very first lesson. The seeker should meditate for at least 15 minutes every day, possibly in early morning or whenever suitable. The murāqabah should be done in a quite place, away from any potential distractions. The seeker should cover his/her head and face with a cloth such as a scarf (or completely cover oneself in a large shawl), close the eyes, clear the mind of all thoughts and pray to Allāh the Almighty to take away the useless thoughts. Then he should imagine the noble face of the shaykh (
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
), or the shaykh from whom Zikr was learned, and keep the master’s face at the place of the heart. The seeker then concentrates on the place of Qalb (mentioned above), and imagines that the heart is proclaiming Allāh Allāh Allāh Allāh. This is called “Wuqūf-i Qalbī” and is the most important part of this exalted Path. It means to keep one’s concentration towards the Qalb, and to keep the Qalb’s concentration to the Being whose name is “Allāh”.

You wouldn't be far off calling Zikr an Islamic equivelant of Mantra. Same goes for Sheikh = Guru. Obviously some subtleties here and there but you get the idea.

Blackrose00

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
this looks like a good topic, I'll have to wait for it to be completed. , can you publish all the dhikrs and where did you find them?

I am a Muslim, but I still think it is generally in your best interest to stay away from cults.
we may not know exactly what their intentions are

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
this looks like a good topic, I'll have to wait for it to be completed. , can you publish all the dhikrs and where did you find them?

I am a Muslim, but I still think it is generally in your best interest to stay away from cults.
we may not know exactly what their intentions are
You can use the same zikr. But just wait a bit until I am completely sure of it, and contact my friend for it. There may be subtleties we do not know of.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Ok dm me I will see what I can do
Post automatically merged:

Ok guys, I have made conact with the guy and he accepted, shoot questions if you have, I will also be asking more details. 🙂

Last edited: