• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Tutorial] Pocket Altars

Informative post.
Sometimes we are out just living our lives, running errands, or even at work and BAM! Something calls you, or the space you’re in is screaming at you to listen. “But all my tools and altars are at home!” you may say. They are now, but after reading this tutorial you won’t have that issue any more. Pocket altars to save the day!

df1Xd95.jpg

For little to no money, with just items around the house, you can build a very simple yet effective altar that literally fits in your pocket. There have been countless times out and about where I felt a need to just sit and meditate. Listen to whatever is trying to reach out. Or maybe I’ve found a place that is really beautiful and serene and deserves a thank you. Or maybe the place your at is perfect to zone out and do some divination. Before having a pocket altar, sometimes I would be like “Alright, I’ll just sit here and chill.” And there’s nothing wrong with that. But as magical practitioners, we understand that there’s more that can be done to amplify the effects of our intent than just sitting there.

An altar creates a sacred space. Just you and whatever is out there, at all levels, physically and metaphysically. So even if you’re at a park, you can take out your pocket altar, set it up it under a minute and create that space right then and there. Fuck it to whoever looks at you funny. It’s their loss that they don’t understand. So what do you need for this pocket altar?

Items:
  • Small container. Altoids tin, matchbox, anything that can store stuff and fits in your pocket or purse. Even a small fabric bag would work.
  • Tealight candle
  • Herb blend of your choice (for dressing the candle, offerings, or even incense if you can fit a charcoal briquette in the container)
  • Roll-on bottle with homemade cleansing wash. (Florida water + Frankincense Oleoresin + Beachwater + Cleansing Herb Tea)
  • Small piece of Palo Santo.
  • Lighter
  • Optional imagery of god, goddess, spirit you work with.

uxe4cQ1.jpg

The items above are what I use, but this is totally a personal thing. In general though, you want a candle and some kind of incense. That's why I use Palo Santo. I can cut it down to smaller pieces, stick it in the ground, and it works wonders cleansing out an area and as an offering to spirits. Even cut-down pieces of stick incense could work.

Like in the picture above, the tin I use has a lid that I use to hold images of whatever deity I am working with at the moment. The lid can then be stood up with the bottom part of the tin or with a rock, etc.

Point is, that you can create a portable altar with very little effort. And it’s something that can be used so easily that it makes sense for everyone to have one. I also know of people who can’t necessarily have altars set up at home, so something small, discrete and portable like this is their main altar.

This should go without saying, but if you’re lighting a candle and/or incense somewhere with flammable bits around you, like a park or forest, please be aware of your environment and be careful with flames.

Korvin

Neophyte
Reaction score
Brings back memories. I remember about 15 years ago, I first was introduced to the idea of a pocket altar. There was an organization that was collecting donations to make them and send them to neopagans in military service overseas. I thought it was brilliant! I made my own, and posted videos about it on YouTube. (I took that channel down years ago, though.) I was also really into emergency preparedness and EDC (Every Day Carry) so this was a perfect intersection of my various interests.

If I put one together now, it would be very different from my old one. I should give some thought to what one might look like given my current "religious temperment."

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Oh yeah, I've seen some of these on Pinterest a lot! I personally am terrible about using tools or altars much, so half the time I splurge on something and I'm like "Well shit, what do I do now?", because I'm just so used to being as bare-bones as possible out of necessity. XD

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes we are out just living our lives, running errands, or even at work and BAM! Something calls you, or the space you’re in is screaming at you to listen. “But all my tools and altars are at home!” you may say. They are now, but after reading this tutorial you won’t have that issue any more. Pocket altars to save the day!

df1Xd95.jpg

For little to no money, with just items around the house, you can build a very simple yet effective altar that literally fits in your pocket. There have been countless times out and about where I felt a need to just sit and meditate. Listen to whatever is trying to reach out. Or maybe I’ve found a place that is really beautiful and serene and deserves a thank you. Or maybe the place your at is perfect to zone out and do some divination. Before having a pocket altar, sometimes I would be like “Alright, I’ll just sit here and chill.” And there’s nothing wrong with that. But as magical practitioners, we understand that there’s more that can be done to amplify the effects of our intent than just sitting there.

An altar creates a sacred space. Just you and whatever is out there, at all levels, physically and metaphysically. So even if you’re at a park, you can take out your pocket altar, set it up it under a minute and create that space right then and there. Fuck it to whoever looks at you funny. It’s their loss that they don’t understand. So what do you need for this pocket altar?

Items:
  • Small container. Altoids tin, matchbox, anything that can store stuff and fits in your pocket or purse. Even a small fabric bag would work.
  • Tealight candle
  • Herb blend of your choice (for dressing the candle, offerings, or even incense if you can fit a charcoal briquette in the container)
  • Roll-on bottle with homemade cleansing wash. (Florida water + Frankincense Oleoresin + Beachwater + Cleansing Herb Tea)
  • Small piece of Palo Santo.
  • Lighter
  • Optional imagery of god, goddess, spirit you work with.

uxe4cQ1.jpg

The items above are what I use, but this is totally a personal thing. In general though, you want a candle and some kind of incense. That's why I use Palo Santo. I can cut it down to smaller pieces, stick it in the ground, and it works wonders cleansing out an area and as an offering to spirits. Even cut-down pieces of stick incense could work.

Like in the picture above, the tin I use has a lid that I use to hold images of whatever deity I am working with at the moment. The lid can then be stood up with the bottom part of the tin or with a rock, etc.

Point is, that you can create a portable altar with very little effort. And it’s something that can be used so easily that it makes sense for everyone to have one. I also know of people who can’t necessarily have altars set up at home, so something small, discrete and portable like this is their main altar.

This should go without saying, but if you’re lighting a candle and/or incense somewhere with flammable bits around you, like a park or forest, please be aware of your environment and be careful with flames.
This is pretty awesome. I do something slightly similar but in my office using a old package delivery box haha. It has a spare tarot deck, a few rings ive had custom made and a few other items that i use in my practice to keep my rings charged with intent and will.

I should leave some tea candles and oils in it aswell. Great post!

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Brings back memories. I remember about 15 years ago, I first was introduced to the idea of a pocket altar. There was an organization that was collecting donations to make them and send them to neopagans in military service overseas. I thought it was brilliant! I made my own, and posted videos about it on YouTube. (I took that channel down years ago, though.) I was also really into emergency preparedness and EDC (Every Day Carry) so this was a perfect intersection of my various interests.

If I put one together now, it would be very different from my old one. I should give some thought to what one might look like given my current "religious temperment."
That's really neat that the organization was sending those out like that. Wish that kind of stuff was done more.

This is pretty awesome. I do something slightly similar but in my office using a old package delivery box haha. It has a spare tarot deck, a few rings ive had custom made and a few other items that i use in my practice to keep my rings charged with intent and will.

I should leave some tea candles and oils in it aswell. Great post!
You just gave me the idea of putting cowrie shells in there too! I use 4 of them for Obi divination so their small size is perfect for it.

Korvin

Neophyte
Reaction score
You just gave me the idea of putting cowrie shells in there too! I use 4 of them for Obi divination so their small size is perfect for it.

I think that organization put a small shell in their kits, too. I think it was intended to hold incense, IIRC.