• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

The Golden Age Of Windows Programs

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Since we are under siege by malicious AI which are prepaid and underperforming I am on the lookout
for miscellaneous and utility programs for the pc or android which are not AI, preferably free.
are you aware of any indexes containing such or even use some app for your niche preferences
Anything from educational apps like Anki , to a text to speech Ebook readers like Balabolka would be welcome
But also anything in between, do not feel constrained to as long as it's not AI or paywalled, we might all find
something new and useful.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Back in the day, there were lot's of random "EXE Archive" websites, most of which were full of viruses, but there was this one... I can't remember exactly what it was called now, but it was something like "free software archive" or something else like that. I remember it had the word Archive in it's name...

But most of those sites are dead now. These days if you are looking for free software, you have a couple of options.

You can look at software aggregators like sourceforge.net or filehippo.com (glad to see this site still functioning for well over a decade now, maybe 2.

Personally, these days I don't do any of that. If I'm looking for free, open source software, there's no better place imho than github itself. You can use the advanced search functionality to pretty much find any type of software you are looking for. Granted, it has much more options for *nix based operating systems, but you can definitely find good windows software there too. However, if you're really interested in FOSS software and more importantly the spirit of open source and libre software, you'd be far better served on linux anyway.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I use an open source e-book reader and format converter called
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
on Linux (via Flathub). It is available for Windows as well. The text-to-speech quality is rather awful sounding, so out of curiosity I looked for an open source TTS program for Linux (Flatpak) and found Speech Note:

It is offline, except for downloading voice and translation models. I like the voice quality, but I have to say that it is not ideal for ebook reading. It seems suited for crafting spoken speech for recording purposes. I expect developers will improve it over time, so I'm curious to see what features get added and improved.