• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Thread Deletion by Progenitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Ability of thread's author to delete should it be hostility taken over by pile on.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Ability of thread's author to delete should it be hostility taken over by pile on.
Everyone can report posts to the Mods.

In the older incarnations of this forum some members have deleted their content and now that is lost forever, despite it (apparently..) having been good and appreciated threads.

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Everyone can report posts to the Mods.

In the older incarnations of this forum some members have deleted their content and now that is lost forever, despite it (apparently..) having been good and appreciated threads.
Understand. Makes sense. Nothing's happened that's reached the level of calling Mods.
Thanks

Reaction score
Awards
The mods are very attentive. If a post is against the rules, then a number of actions can be taken, report or not.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Actually isn't deleting a thread kind of chicken****? Trying to kwik-scrub one's karma? Like the Sufi said, "The moving finger having writ moves on and not all thy piety and all thy wit wit shall serve to erase one word of it."

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Actually isn't deleting a thread kind of chicken****? Trying to kwik-scrub one's karma? Like the Sufi said, "The moving finger having writ moves on and not all thy piety and all thy wit wit shall serve to erase one word of it."
That's not my mind set. Also according to the forum's rules of conduct:

11. Stay on Topic — Your replies to a thread must be relevant to the original post. Unhelpful replies such as tangential opinions, non-answers, vague and cryptic assertions are not acceptable. This is especially true for the occult section (The Order) and less strict for the recreational areas (The Tavern). This also applies to the original poster when replying to their own thread. If you are about to reply something that is not extremely relevant or at least helpful to the original topic, then make your own thread in the relevant section.

I know now to report because the forum handicaps from telling someone off. Like now. I have a perfect adjective for you but decorum you know.

Karma is BS and should there be any karma involved here it's not on me.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Actually isn't deleting a thread kind of chicken****

So if I wrote something I regret and no longer stand by, deleting it is partially deleting the evidence of my mistake, and I get you calling that chickenshit

But it's also attempting to redress my mistake, which is a good thing - because new people will come across the old thread, and it's like I said the old thing to them fresh, they're hearing it for the first time. If I've done something wrong, making amends would include not repeating the same mistake over and over in the future, which is kind of what you're doing when you leave a thread up

(You can add a retraction at the end of a thread, but new users probably aren't gonna read to the end of a 4-page debate, they'll just read the initial post and miss the retraction)

For me personally, desire to delete would probably come from feeling, on reflection, that I've revealed more about my personal practice than I'm comfortable with - failed to Keep Silent

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Warned: Off-topic nonsensical rambling.
That's not my mind set. Also according to the forum's rules of conduct:

11. Stay on Topic — Your replies to a thread must be relevant to the original post. Unhelpful replies such as tangential opinions, non-answers, vague and cryptic assertions are not acceptable. This is especially true for the occult section (The Order) and less strict for the recreational areas (The Tavern). This also applies to the original poster when replying to their own thread. If you are about to reply something that is not extremely relevant or at least helpful to the original topic, then make your own thread in the relevant section.

I know now to report because the forum handicaps from telling someone off. Like now. I have a perfect adjective for you but decorum you know.

Karma is BS and should there be any karma involved here it's not on me.
Decorum? Ohhhhhhh, I know. Like the guy in the bar who gets p.o.'ed and says "I'd clean your clock, but I'm a fifth dan black belt and my sensei forbids fighting. Don't let decorum stop you. I sent you my email so you and let fly.
So if I wrote something I regret and no longer stand by, deleting it is partially deleting the evidence of my mistake, and I get you calling that chickenshit

But it's also attempting to redress my mistake, which is a good thing - because new people will come across the old thread, and it's like I said the old thing to them fresh, they're hearing it for the first time. If I've done something wrong, making amends would include not repeating the same mistake over and over in the future, which is kind of what you're doing when you leave a thread up

(You can add a retraction at the end of a thread, but new users probably aren't gonna read to the end of a 4-page debate, they'll just read the initial post and miss the retraction)

For me personally, desire to delete would probably come from feeling, on reflection, that I've revealed more about my personal practice than I'm comfortable with - failed to Keep Silent
Words are like bullets. The time for judgment is before you loose the projectile.Paul of Tarsus declared that "Charity covereth a multitude of sins." I doubt that the same can be said for, "My bad." But hey, this is the era that tries to erase whatever prickles. So have at 'er.

Dang! Speaking of Paul, I just had me a Road to Damascus moment! There was an old 80's song by some band that sounded a lot like "Kraftwerk." They had this catchy li'l song, "There is nothing could go wrong, There is nothing should go wrong. Repeat, Repeat." They got it wrong! What they shoulda sung was "There is nothing could go wrong, There is nothing should go wrong. DELETE, DELETE." Because we all know the one unshakable truth to a rumblin' stumblin' world: The Cosmos Ain't Nothing But a Long Long Chain of Second Chances.

So I take it all back. Every hissin', dissin' word of what I said. Rewrite me repentant and rephrase my whole den of fresh borned faux pas.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
This will never happen. Most members don't even understand the extent to which noone (including mods, and including my own account) is allowed to delete content. At best, it's a merge (irreversible - non destructive) or soft delete (reversible - non destructive). I will never allow hard deletes, because of the potential for abuse. By abuse, I mean rogue mods or users deleting a bunch of threads and causing content loss, which causes huge damage to a small forum like this.

At most, in the future, I may allow Benefactors the option to close their own threads. Even that I'm on the fence about.

As @Yazata said, a simple report should be all you need to alert the mods of any off-topic activity or derailment. Actions will be taken.

Understand. Makes sense. Nothing's happened that's reached the level of calling Mods.
Thanks
Then why would you need the ability to delete a thread if it's not even at the level of alerting mods?

I know now to report because the forum handicaps from telling someone off.
That's good, do that.

Dang! Speaking of Paul, I just had me a Road to Damascus moment! There was an old 80's song by some band that sounded a lot like "Kraftwerk." They had this catchy li'l song, "There is nothing could go wrong, There is nothing should go wrong. Repeat, Repeat." They got it wrong! What they shoulda sung was "There is nothing could go wrong, There is nothing should go wrong. DELETE, DELETE." Because we all know the one unshakable truth to a rumblin' stumblin' world: The Cosmos Ain't Nothing But a Long Long Chain of Second Chances.

So I take it all back. Every hissin', dissin' word of what I said. Rewrite me repentant and rephrase my whole den of fresh borned faux pas.
Man. Nobody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.