• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Your primary divination method?

Everyone's got one.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I generally use Tarot, which thanks to the compulsive organization of correspondences of the Golden Dawn and Co., can connect me to a variety of other symbol systems. The why, aside from ages of habit and preference, is flexibility and that I find myself faced with a puzzle that reveals things to me as the narrative unfolds. It's good for both the left and right sides of my brain.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Pretty much, but I didn't start to "get it" until I got a Thoth deck, mainly due to the graphic inclusions of planetary and Hebrew letter assignments. Of course that one just had to befuddle me to the whole assignments of Tzaddi and Heh, though later I gradually came to realize the power of permutations.
I do like the R-W allegorical format though. Sometimes it's just one little thing in a card that I need to see...
Crowley's I-Ching associations, though not complete, have often yielded great meanings for me. Maybe someone figured out the associations of rest of the hexagrams?

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Tarot de Marseilles and Paul Huson's deck. My reintroduction to magic began with John Michael Greer's translation of Levi's Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic, and he recommended a TdM deck to follow along with it. I like the old tradition of the TdM. Divination is the art of discovering associations of meaning. The LWB is helpful, of course, but card combinations are more than the sum of their parts. This meditative aspect is key to revealing what could be loosely termed "answers." Some readings I've done in the last year had successive revelations as I gained more knowledge on the question I asked at the time.

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Pretty much, but I didn't start to "get it" until I got a Thoth deck,
Seems to be a shared experience, heard of this a lot.

Crowley's I-Ching associations, though not complete, have often yielded great meanings for me. Maybe someone figured out the associations of rest of the hexagrams?
No idea there man, never read Yi King. I am really lacking on divination, someone else has pointed this on my chart too when they were reading for me.

The LWB is helpful, of course,
What does LWB stand for?

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I guess because I started with works of Paul Foster Case for magic, and decades before with rider Waite, tarot is my choice.
Thought you would say Geomancy, suprised me there. Its definitely my favourite.

Speaking of Geomancy, has anyone posted Napoleons Book of Fate here? That book does not miss. I'm dead serious.

Reaction score
Awards
Thought you would say Geomancy, suprised me there. Its definitely my favourite.

Speaking of Geomancy, has anyone posted Napoleons Book of Fate here? That book does not miss. I'm dead serious.
I was getting into geomancy and my homelessness and joblessness and health got worse. Will pick back up on it soon.

Shaman

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Divination coin, tarot, divination through switches and blinking. Clairsentience.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I used to use a pendulum in conjunction with the I Ching/Yi Jing, but I have reason to suspect I influence the movements through my own slight, not fully aware movements. I could rationalize this as my "subconscious." But if I were paying a gypsy fortune teller for the same and thought this, I'd b****-slap the shamming seer.

So now, I pretty much confine myself to the I Ching. It has proven pretty trustworthy.

As I go along, too, I find myself using divination more and more rarely. One of my favorite novels (on Booksie.com) is Runesong Ruin by Jon Grena. The author opines, "He who accedes to Norns' decree need never cast a rune."

Promise

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I use muscle testing primarily, sometimes pendulums. Starting to explore tarot and numerogy.

One trick I use sometimes is to voice an intention that is the opposite of knowing whatever I want to know about, such as, "I don't know ____".

Examples:
I don't know how to do this.
I don't understand what's happening with ___.
I don't know what to say.
I don't know what will happen.
I don't have the full scope of information I need about this.
I don't know what the root causes of this problem are.

In response either various noise / Non useful thoughts, etc. will emerge from within, or the answer I'm seeking.

If some noise / not useful thought or feeling, I will use something like Sedona Method "Could I let it go? Am I willing to let it go? When?" Or EFT Tapping if it's denser / heavier, to release the non useful.

It's remarkable the quality of information and answers that emerge as resistance to an intention that's stated as the opposite of what I want to know.

As a process:
1. Decide what you do want to know.
2. Make it into a brief statement. "I want to know / understand ____"
3. Put it into a negative form. "I Don't know / understand ___."
4. State it out loud or silently to Self with a little bit of "will power".
5. With passive neutral open minded slight curiosity be aware of any mental words, thoughts, feelings, images, or sensations that spontaneously arise just before, during, or after you voice the statement from 3.
6. Make note of it for later reference.
7. Release whatever arose and feelings about it or reactions to it with Sedona method, EFT, or your preferred way to release / banish.
8. Repeat steps 4-7 as long as you wish, I would suggest at least a couple dozen rounds.
9. Use Sedona / EFT / preferred release method to dissolve the statement from step #3. To avoid having the negative form active.
10. Review your notes for what might be useful.
10. Now repeat a similar process of steps 4-9 for the positive statement, perhaps slightly modifying it to a stronger statement - such as "I now understand ..." This will release any resistance to the desired knowledge and clarify / deepen your understanding / knowledge.

This might inspire additional rounds to deep dive on and further elaborate your new emerging understanding / knowledge.

This is a way of using subconscious resistance for divination.

Enjoy,
Promise

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I use muscle testing primarily, sometimes pendulums. Starting to explore tarot and numerogy.

One trick I use sometimes is to voice an intention that is the opposite of knowing whatever I want to know about, such as, "I don't know ____".

Examples:
I don't know how to do this.
I don't understand what's happening with ___.
I don't know what to say.
I don't know what will happen.
I don't have the full scope of information I need about this.
I don't know what the root causes of this problem are.

In response either various noise / Non useful thoughts, etc. will emerge from within, or the answer I'm seeking.

If some noise / not useful thought or feeling, I will use something like Sedona Method "Could I let it go? Am I willing to let it go? When?" Or EFT Tapping if it's denser / heavier, to release the non useful.

It's remarkable the quality of information and answers that emerge as resistance to an intention that's stated as the opposite of what I want to know.

As a process:
1. Decide what you do want to know.
2. Make it into a brief statement. "I want to know / understand ____"
3. Put it into a negative form. "I Don't know / understand ___."
4. State it out loud or silently to Self with a little bit of "will power".
5. With passive neutral open minded slight curiosity be aware of any mental words, thoughts, feelings, images, or sensations that spontaneously arise just before, during, or after you voice the statement from 3.
6. Make note of it for later reference.
7. Release whatever arose and feelings about it or reactions to it with Sedona method, EFT, or your preferred way to release / banish.
8. Repeat steps 4-7 as long as you wish, I would suggest at least a couple dozen rounds.
9. Use Sedona / EFT / preferred release method to dissolve the statement from step #3. To avoid having the negative form active.
10. Review your notes for what might be useful.
10. Now repeat a similar process of steps 4-9 for the positive statement, perhaps slightly modifying it to a stronger statement - such as "I now understand ..." This will release any resistance to the desired knowledge and clarify / deepen your understanding / knowledge.

This might inspire additional rounds to deep dive on and further elaborate your new emerging understanding / knowledge.

This is a way of using subconscious resistance for divination.

Enjoy,
Promise
All highly intriguing and worth a try. Could you say anything more about "subconscious resistance," though? Is that the big hurdle to overcome in divination? I had never looked at things that way (never suspected it, truth be told.)

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
All highly intriguing and worth a try. Could you say anything more about "subconscious resistance," though? Is that the big hurdle to overcome in divination? I had never looked at things that way (never suspected it, truth be told.)
As I read in Wilson's New Pathways in Psychology, this is Frankl's "law of reverse effort," which is explained by the concept of 'preparedness.' When asked to try to stutter, a stutterer puts 'preparedness' into his stuttering, but the root cause of stuttering is 'unpreparedness,' so the root cause of the stutter vanishes.

The way of life in a modern city may encourage ‘unpreparedness’, but it does not actually prevent ‘preparedness’. Our ancestors had more leisure than we have, but they did not necessarily make use of it. The human race has always been inclined to live in the present, to put the minimum effort and preparation into living. The proof is that man has always been driven by boredom, and boredom is another name for being stuck in the present—for unpreparedness. - New Pathways in Psychology, Wilson
I suppose one could see the method of divination used by @Promise to be a way of subverting the typical state of 'unpreparedness' with which we typically go through our lives. It is inviting the conscious mind to cooperate with the vast power of the subconscious, and from an occult standpoint the transpersonal conscious as well.

Promise

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
As for subconscious resistance, I actually think it's mostly things that were filtered out of the stream of perception prior to conscious awareness.

In some NLP circles it often referred to that there are millions of bits of information coming into our neurology each second. Prior to conscious awareness some part of that is simply deleted, some is distorted, some is generalized.. This process of delete/ distort / generalize reduces what we are aware of out of the millions of bits of input down to around 5 - 10 chunks of things which include automatic labels / interpretations/ meanings that go with that go with them, and include certain assumptions and expectations.

Our brains / neurology automatically represent our experience to our conscious minds in a way that reduces cognitive dissonance. Such that most of what we experience is FAMILIAR, most of the time. Not necessarily real or accurate.

The filters include our memories, beliefs, identity, intentions, expectations, what's important.

By intending the opposite of knowledge it shifts the filtering process, and things come through that normally don't- which can be just noise, or useful.

Often it's not immediately obvious whether something that pops into mind is noise or something useful. So keeping a log during the process allows you to review later and look for patterns. That should probably be included as the very last step.
Post automatically merged:

A simpler, quicker, but less powerful version is to in a relaxed state ponder the questions, "What am I not noticing about this?" and "What am I pretending I don't know about this?"
Post automatically merged:

Yet another quick version called the AS IF frame, that can be used either on its own or with the prior 2 question version when you get an answer such as "I don't know" then you can ask yourself "Well if I did know what would / could I say".

On it's own it looks like "If I already knew the answer ... what would it be?"

If I already knew the root causes of this problem, they are ...

If I already understood xyz what could I say about it?

When using the AS IF frame it's important to do with a body posture, and voice tone that both imply relaxed certainty of something ordinary. If you have a confused or stressed face, body, or voice it will interfere in this.
However, the full 9 or 10 step version will handle such things, if you find it difficult to assume an attitude of casual certainty.

Last edited:

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
In some NLP circles it often referred to that there are millions of bits of information coming into our neurology each second.
This relates to the often debated models of perception among the Freudian and post-Freudian psychologists, the Behaviorists, the Gestalt school, etc.

I have already mentioned (p. ...) Whitehead’s view that we have two types of perception, ‘immediacy perception’ and ‘meaning perception’. This contradicts the ‘experimental’ position by asserting that we perceive meaning intuitively and directly, in one big leap, as it were. Gestalt psychology came to the same conclusion. What the mind grasps is not a series of bits and pieces, but the relation between the bits and pieces. This is what interests it. - New Pathways in Psychology, Wilson
However! As fascinating as this tangent is, I would recommend that we take further discussion of the psychological aspects of perception to a new thread in an appropriate sub-forum. If you just have one comment to reply to me here and nothing further to add to the topic, I'll certainly allow that much.

Otherwise, this is the thread about "Your Primary Divination Method." 🎲

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Just wondering, what do you prefer for divinating a question, and why is that so?
For me it depends on the question, the amount of detail I'm looking for, as well as how much time I've got free.
For simple & quick stuff Rune-casting works well for me, Tarot for a bit more detail, Oracular Trance if I need more complex answers & have time to burn, sometimes with some Spirit-work if I am not in hurry for an answer.
Oracular Trance would be my favorite method - probably because I just like trance-work in general, but in the main, I generally consider information gleaned from Divination as having a level of reliability equivalent to a google search - so it isn't a major part of my practice.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
For me it depends on the question, the amount of detail I'm looking for, as well as how much time I've got free.
For simple & quick stuff Rune-casting works well for me, Tarot for a bit more detail, Oracular Trance if I need more complex answers & have time to burn, sometimes with some Spirit-work if I am not in hurry for an answer.
Oracular Trance would be my favorite method - probably because I just like trance-work in general, but in the main, I generally consider information gleaned from Divination as having a level of reliability equivalent to a google search - so it isn't a major part of my practice.
Love the remark about google searches & divination. I used to try using several methods and collating the results. I came to see that to get this to work would take an occultist version of George Smiley. Thus, I have drifted away from much dithering about divination.