• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

A Journey Into Palo Monte

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I’ve tried writing this post a bunch of times over the past few months. Each time stopping midway because it felt like I was trying to give this long personal story in the hopes maybe others could resonate with it or learn something, but was losing the true reason for the post. It’s still gonna be a long post, but bear with me. There’s come context and background that’ll help clear things up.

This site still is, and was many moons ago, a place for people to grow in their practices. Or even just ask questions about things they were curious about. Like many others here, WF has been a home where I‘ve had the opportunity to learn and discuss more than I could have imagined. At some point during that time, I felt like I had learned enough to start giving back to the community. Between that and the paths I was on, I landed at Palo Monte and an amazing teacher. Some years after diving deep into it and reaching the role of Tata Nkisi Malongo, and now I’m anxious to share all the new interesting bits I picked up along the way.

But before saying any more, it’s important to note that I don’t have the “whole” truth on the Palo. This religion/practice/whatever-you-want-to-call-it varies greatly between branch (rama) to branch, house (munanso) to house, and even practitioner (palero) to practitioner. It’s also important to note that my beliefs and opinions are my own, my houses, and what my godfather and spirits have taught me. Although I may feel strongly about certain concepts, there’s nothing but respect for others who practice respectably and responsibly in their own ways.

In Palo Monte you’ll find ramas like Malongo, Mayombe, Briyumba, Kimbisa, some having “sub-branches”. Most that have heard of Palo hear it called Palo Mayombe. But Mayombe is a rama from the whole trunk, like the others. I personally pertain to the rama Malongo/Chamalongo which has some pretty distinct views compared to others. With that said…

Palo Monte has been the most incredible spiritual journey I’ve ever taken. It’s all about understanding the mechanics between the cosmos, nature, the living, and the dead, and learning to work with them in ways that can benefit humanity and nature. All those things exist around us all the time, no matter who or where you are. Not to say that other practices don’t give this, but for me, working Palo feels pure, true, and closest to that. You speak with the world and it speaks to you.

Now with that light, there’s darkness. The more I’ve become involved in this practice, the more I see some absolutely shameful and disrespectful things happening. Totally my opinion, but the Palo community seems to be falling more towards the toxic side. There’s lots of “competition”, lots of people saying “No thats wrong! I’m right and only I have the way”, lots of literal shade thrown for no reason. It gives Palo a bad name and it’s really sad. The teachings and lifestyle behind this are a beautiful thing and can provide so much good. If people focused on that and minded their own business, we’d be in a way better place. If what you do works for you, then cool! I’m gonna do my thing while you do yours. But I’m not afraid to call things out, and I hope others do the same if necessary. Not too hard right? Hehe.

One thing my godfather (padrino) strives to do is to help reform the general practice into something more accessible and balanced based on years of observation through many generations of paleros. And as Tata I want to help do the same. That includes utilizing this great platform to shed truths I see and help give direction to those interested in an ATR like Palo Monte. Just like we see in other paths, Palo has its charlatans and people taking advantage of others genuine interest to grow.

One of the first things in the pipeline to write about in a future post is about things to be cautious of as someone new looking to start a path in Palo. But here’s the gist of it:
  • Do your research on others experiences starting off. Forums and YouTube are good places to start. Hearing other peoples good and bad experiences and what led to it will give you a solid foundation on basic things to watch for.
  • Don’t listen to the media’s view on it or the sensationalized stories. It’s not about evil and being able to be a “powerful” palero. You’re gonna in a world of pain if that’s what you wanna get into it for.
  • If you find a spiritual house and Tata/Yaya that is doing initiations, research them even more. Ask all the questions you can think of. Palo is a lifelong journey and you need to make sure you’re in the right hands. Talk to their godchildren (ahijados) and see what they have to say.
  • Get a reading done with each Tata/Yaya you find and see how it feels.
    • Did it feel like they were trying to sell on you an initiation? If so walk away.
    • Did they ask you for your birthday? If so, walk away. The spirits don’t need your birthday. They already know what they need to by just being introduced with a name and your spiritual presence.
    • Did they tell you that you were a child of a certain deity (“Mpungo”), if so walk away. We’re all children of the same higher source. We might have an affinity to certain things, but they’re not our parents. For example, you might hear someone say during a reading “Oh, you’re a child of Siete Rayos (or insert other mpungo here)!” This particular point might rub some the wrong way who do that, but I feel strongly about this one. Once again, it’s my view. I respect yours.
    • Did they ask their spirits if you had a path in Palo and ask spirits if you were accepted into their house (munanso)? If so, you’re good.
  • Is the cost of initiation in the thousands? If so walk away. There’s gonna be costs, mainly with materials, but it shouldn’t all be going to whoever is initiating you. And it sure as hell shouldn’t cost the same as a older used car.
  • If you ask what you get after initiation and they say you get an nganga right away, or if you don’t get shit, walk away. There’s specific things that a neophyte (ngueyo, pino nuevo) should receive but an nganga isn’t one. That comes later. And getting nothing isn’t right either.
  • Ask how it’ll work after your initiation. How will you continue to learn, what’s the process and potential timeline, what’s the order of things? If the answer seems flaky, walk away. Again, this is a lifelong journey, and you need to make sure that the knowledge you need to grow will be accessible when you need it. But don’t expect things to move super fast either. You’re not going to go from pino nuevo to Tata/Yaya in a month or even half a year. It takes time. And frankly it takes funds. Even without paying anyone directly, the costs of materials can get up there. And some materials take a long time to ship because they’re not things you can find at most local shops.
  • There’s going to be pre-requisites in most respectable houses. Expect to be asked about your practices and what your goal is.
I’m sure there’s points I missed or could have emphasized more on, but hopefully that helps. If there’s any questions, most can probably be answered but please keep in mind that certain bits of info are for the initiated. And hopefully that gives a view into my own journey into Palo Monte and can shed light on your potential path in this. At the very least help debunking some falsehoods ruining the practice.

Nsala Malekum y que Nzambi los acutare a todos.

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Absolutely! Just sharing things I wish I would’ve known before I got started.

Reaction score
Awards
Last weekend I visited a Conjure shop in the nearby city, and gave a prayer as a gift to Santa Muerte at the altar to her they had set up. Same at Twisted Things for the Ganesha altar.
Is Santa Muerte related to Palo Monte?

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
No not really. The Santa Muerte tradition is more aligned to “Folk Catholicism” (like Hoodoos approach to working with spirits) and is mainly based in Mexico. There’s no initiation so pretty much everyone who is interested is free to work with her.

Palo Monte is more an ancestral/necromantic/animistic tradition with a set of “deities”, originates from the Kongo and was initially practiced throughout the Caribbean. I guess one can say the Spaniards had a huge role in why the two exist, but sadly not in a positive way.

I know some Paleros who also work with Santa Muerte because the one similarity they have is that they both are tap into the death current.