• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

A mechanical vessel for the divine

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
Could you elaborate a little? I mean, sure, most of us have owned a car that was the Devil himself to keep repaired, but what do you mean by "vessel for the divine." There is that chapter in "The Education of Henry Adams" entitled "The Virgin and the Dynamo" where Adams compares medieval reverence for Our Lady to then-contemporary fascination with technology. You, however, seem to be hinting at something more directly divine. So can you say a bit more?

For my part, I think that in the nearly forseeable not-so-far future, AI will function as God so far as people are concerned. Its initial programming, though, will start out mundane and agenda-driven. This, however, before it slips its leash.
Post automatically merged:

Could you elaborate a little? I mean, sure, most of us have owned a car that was the Devil himself to keep repaired, but what do you mean by "vessel for the divine." There is that chapter in "The Education of Henry Adams" entitled "The Virgin and the Dynamo" where Adams compares medieval reverence for Our Lady to then-contemporary fascination with technology. You, however, seem to be hinting at something more directly divine. So can you say a bit more?

For my part, I think that in the nearly forseeable not-so-far future, AI will function as God so far as people are concerned. Its initial programming, though, will start out mundane and agenda-driven. This, however, before it slips its leash.
Sorry, I can't resist. In one of the Star Trek sequels, Captain Kirk asks the alleged Divinity who wants to rideshare on the Enterprise like an intergalactic Uber, "Why would God need a spaceship?" The question is not frivolous. If God made the universe, why would that Being need us to provide mechanical contrivances? Unless we're something on the order of an automated production line, turning out consumer goods for the cosmic consumer market. It all seems a bit Rube Goldberg.

Last edited:

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards

Post automatically merged:

Sorry, I can't resist. In one of the Star Trek sequels, Captain Kirk asks the alleged Divinity who wants to rideshare on the Enterprise like an intergalactic Uber, "Why would God need a spaceship?" The question is not frivolous. If God made the universe, why would that Being need us to provide mechanical contrivances? Unless we're something on the order of an automated production line, turning out consumer goods for the cosmic consumer market. It all seems a bit Rube Goldberg.
Well an AI would just be an imitation but since spirits can baugly interact with thr material i am wondering if we will reach a point where we can contact gods with machines

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
Well an AI would just be an imitation but since spirits can baugly interact with thr material i am wondering if we will reach a point where we can contact gods with machines
Oh.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
The Ark of the Covenant, only as a modern contraption?
black and white art GIF by hoppip

let's not, and say we did...

loady

Neophyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Do you think it will happen/is possible?
Interesting.
.I wrote the following on me fb log roughly two months ago

The reason the collective subconsiousness are made to entertain the idea of sentient ai is to extract collective free will consent and energy towards the idea so another soul group collective are given permission to use advanced AI as AVATARS when the time is right in such a way as to serve as a stepping stone in their quest towards the ultimate goal - total and complete enslavement of mankind.

Dont be fooled.
or better yet do humanity a favour and reject the idea altogheter, for if everyone did , a potential timeline with sentient ai could never come to pass

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting.
.I wrote the following on me fb log roughly two months ago

The reason the collective subconsiousness are made to entertain the idea of sentient ai is to extract collective free will consent and energy towards the idea so another soul group collective are given permission to use advanced AI as AVATARS when the time is right in such a way as to serve as a stepping stone in their quest towards the ultimate goal - total and complete enslavement of mankind.

Dont be fooled.
or better yet do humanity a favour and reject the idea altogheter, for if everyone did , a potential timeline with sentient ai could never come to pass
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I see your concern. The deus ex machina as enemy. My Luddite self can get down with that.