• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

A question for the experienced: is there a basic script?

mjesecC

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I was just asked this, and I'd like to pick your brains a bit here.
If you were to mentor your younger self in magickal workings, what would you suggest as the basic, most fundamental practices to start apart from concentration, meditation, and visualization according to your paradigm of choice?

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I should have bitten the bullet and started a daily empty-mind meditation practice decades ago, it would have saved me years of useless pseudo-mystical fantasizing. You dont have to
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
but unless you're exceptionally gifted, meditation is an absolute MUST in my opinion. Also, Liber MMM in "Liber Null & Psychonaut", it's the most concise description of a foundational program I can think of:

mjesecC

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I should have bitten the bullet and started a daily empty-mind meditation practice decades ago, it would have saved me years of useless pseudo-mystical fantasizing. You dont have to
but unless you're exceptionally gifted, meditation is an absolute MUST in my opinion. Also, Liber MMM in "Liber Null & Psychonaut", it's the most concise description of a foundational program I can think of:

Always with the lovely replies containing awesome links and books, thank you so much for your input!

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
1) Journal/Diary everything you do/practice so you have a record you can access later.

2) Begin some type of daily exercise that benefits your cardiovascular endurance.

3) Practice various breathing techniques because different ones will help you in different ways.

Reaction score
I was just asked this, and I'd like to pick your brains a bit here.
If you were to mentor your younger self in magickal workings, what would you suggest as the basic, most fundamental practices to start apart from concentration, meditation, and visualization according to your paradigm of choice?
Well actually, the Abramelin suggests that you just make it up off the top of your head. A friend and I did this when we were 14 in an evocation of Lucifer and 'something' turned up - don't know if it was Lucifer but it was 'something'. William Bloom (Working with Angels, Fairies & Nature Spirits) says we attract spirits to us depending on what we're doing or thinking. It's a question of finding how to talk to them. He points out that there are still cultures in the world that when making canoes, for instance, silently or quietly invoke the canoe-building spirit to help them make a perfect craft.

mjesecC

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
2) Begin some type of daily exercise that benefits your cardiovascular endurance.
Thank you so much for your input!
I'd like to emphasize how much of a sound advice this topic in particular is! After I've began regular and consistent resistance training my magickal practice improved so damn much.
Post automatically merged:

Well actually, the Abramelin suggests that you just make it up off the top of your head. A friend and I did this when we were 14 in an evocation of Lucifer and 'something' turned up - don't know if it was Lucifer but it was 'something'. William Bloom (Working with Angels, Fairies & Nature Spirits) says we attract spirits to us depending on what we're doing or thinking. It's a question of finding how to talk to them. He points out that there are still cultures in the world that when making canoes, for instance, silently or quietly invoke the canoe-building spirit to help them make a perfect craft.
Thanks for your input!

Writing a journal. Nothing literary; detailed notes are fine. Lots of times you don't know what you think till you try to express it. Likewise messages come while you are turning over points mentally. Finally salient details are often forgotten till you get in the habit of listing them.
Great advice! Thank you for your input

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards

I forgot to mention in my god posture description that one should not use the backrest of the chair, just let the spine rest on itself - finding the correct and effortless posture will take some time but once you find it, it helps you to stay alert. Additionally, it is a good idea to practice that empty-mind state throughout the day (you don't need to ponder tomorrow's grocery shopping list a dozen times each day, for example), e.g. when walking, doing househod chores, etc.

I want to add that I always get mad whenever a NewAge book sets out to 'prove' that the only 'logical' way to live is 'in the moment' and that therofore all worries are 'a waste of time' - that empty-mind state isn't blissful oblivion, it's only natural when e.g. fears of tomorrow's dentist appointment crop up. The important thing is not to beat yourself up whenever unwelcome thoughts intrude, it's only human. Accept that intrusion and move on, you're not participating in a Zen race towards enlightenment.

Last edited:

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Reaction score
Awards
As I sit down to write my book, the first thing that I actually dove into is the idea of what paradigm you are deciding to first dive into. As it stands, this is typically the hardest choice, as there are so many - yet most people have their minds made up already. As you progress into the occult, the ability - as mentioned by multiple others - to keep track of your experience, as well as to clear the mind to make way for the universe to express itself are probably the next most crucial. Now, I have met plenty of magicians - even those who have written texts on the matter - who don't keep a journal explicitly in regards to magic, so that isn't inherently necessary to the occult; it simply helps.

When I was mentoring another, I wrote this in an effort to "fast track" meditation, as, frankly, being able to adjust yourself to your environment and learn to recognize your own self is probably key. The next most important step is to learn who you are, either through the study of various astrological methods, mindful meditation, or even simply reflecting upon what sort of person you are/want to be.

Honestly, it's hard to narrow down the "most important" things in a practice, as every person is different, and their needs vary widely.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I think that when you're first starting out in anything, it's best to follow what lit you up about it

Rather than the "eat your vegetables" (meditation first) modality.

If you love something, then you'll be motivated to do what it takes to get better at it (ie, meditation)

But if you're told you must do the eat-your-vegetables part before you've earned the right to do anything fun [no one's saying that here, but I've heard it said], then you're killing your spark of passion before it's had time to properly catch fire

Similarly i think the beginner phase (hopping from method to method, etc) is something people probably need to go through, and does no real harm, so I wouldn't say "stick to a path and finish it" because I think that's advice for intermediates, not beginners.
(Parents always want their teenagers not to make the same mistakes they did - but making teenage mistakes is part of the path, you can't skip it)

But i would say: put a reminder in your phone/calendar for 6 months from now, and take a real stocktake of what you've learnt, what you've liked and disliked, how your learning vs practice balance has been etc (do you, in fact, need to start meditating now), and then proceed in a more strategic way for the next 6 months.

thehornedone

Neophyte
Reaction score
1) Know your place. There is always a bigger fish out there. Be weary for arrogance and power drunkeness.
2)Stay aware and mindfull of how you are changing. Occult thinking is a whole new lifestyle and ethics change once you actually have power. If you become uncomfortable with the changes, address that early.
3)Never write off the advice or instructions of a powerful spirit. You can decline but don't tell Them you will do something and then not do it.
4) Respect the free will of others. Their life is their own. You do not 'know what's best' just because they're muggles. Fairness is the main principal for my morality. Fairness can be both light and dark but don't get selfish.
5) Be weary of enjoying the darkness too much. When doing banefull workings, I have noticed that it can feel good in an odd sort of way and somewhat intoxicating. Think of in star wars when the emperor was instructing anakin, saying "let the hate run through you". In the moment you use whatever fuel is available. Passionate anger is potent. As stated before, remain aware of who you are becoming and maintain a healthy balance.
6) I can't remember where this comes from but, "to know, to dare, to remain silent."
REMAIN SILENT. Remember the tenants of Sun Tzu's Art of War. Accept and embrace that this path is inevitably a lonely and isolating one. You should strive to be above the need for other's validation. Yes, it may be the most fascinating thing to ever happen to you but remember the words of Odin;"The truths we know alone are the strongest truths we can know." Accept it, own it. Step up to the plate and accept the solitude that comes with power and wisdom.
7) Don't tell your girlfriend that every time she questions your honesty if she insists that you swear it's the truth on Hecate's name that you are spiritually bound by the queen of hell to be truthfull. It's a real pain in the ass.

That's what I got right now. I might think of more later.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
1) Know your place. There is always a bigger fish out there. Be weary for arrogance and power drunkeness.
2)Stay aware and mindfull of how you are changing. Occult thinking is a whole new lifestyle and ethics change once you actually have power. If you become uncomfortable with the changes, address that early.
3)Never write off the advice or instructions of a powerful spirit. You can decline but don't tell Them you will do something and then not do it.
4) Respect the free will of others. Their life is their own. You do not 'know what's best' just because they're muggles. Fairness is the main principal for my morality. Fairness can be both light and dark but don't get selfish.
5) Be weary of enjoying the darkness too much. When doing banefull workings, I have noticed that it can feel good in an odd sort of way and somewhat intoxicating. Think of in star wars when the emperor was instructing anakin, saying "let the hate run through you". In the moment you use whatever fuel is available. Passionate anger is potent. As stated before, remain aware of who you are becoming and maintain a healthy balance.
6) I can't remember where this comes from but, "to know, to dare, to remain silent."
REMAIN SILENT. Remember the tenants of Sun Tzu's Art of War. Accept and embrace that this path is inevitably a lonely and isolating one. You should strive to be above the need for other's validation. Yes, it may be the most fascinating thing to ever happen to you but remember the words of Odin;"The truths we know alone are the strongest truths we can know." Accept it, own it. Step up to the plate and accept the solitude that comes with power and wisdom.
7) Don't tell your girlfriend that every time she questions your honesty if she insists that you swear it's the truth on Hecate's name that you are spiritually bound by the queen of hell to be truthfull. It's a real pain in the ass.

#1 and #6 deserve exclamation points. To quote Odin's Runesong, "...safest are secrets known to one, and now my songs are sung."

thehornedone

Neophyte
Reaction score

8) carry ziplock bags and/or small glass vials with you and collect fetish links whenever you can. You may not need to do anything with them but it's so much more convenient to have it ready to go if you suddenly need to heal or control or curse. And label them.