• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Tutorial] Active Healing/Protection Artefact

Informative post.

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
You can adapt these steps for any kind of an intended effect, really.

1. Make a clay tablet of the intended recipient. It can be any kind of representation - Sigil, image, name etc.
Dry the tablet in the sun.
2. Collect some rain water and get a white feather, that has been found fallen on the ground.
3. Light some white sage, frankincense, sandalwood, myrrh, palo santo (all or a combination), or any other substance you find works for the intended effect. Speak your spell as you run the feather over the fumes.
4. Gently dip the feather in a cup of rainwater and carefully brush over the clay tablet, while speaking your spell.
5. Charge the clay tablet, then bake it (if you have the option to do so), or leave it to dry out in the sunlight really well (over the course of a month or longer), then wrap it in virgin white linen, cloth or silk and store it in a safe and secure place, preferably inside of something like a chest or a locked box.

Good luck and please share your experience if you try crafting your own.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
This method is great and definitely adaptable to other goals as well! Nice share! Thanks, Mart.

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Forgot to mention that you should let the tablet dry out really well regardless of whether you bake it or not, which seemed obvious to me at the time, but I've realized that people who may have never worked with clay might not find it so. If you don't dry it out well enough and attempt to fire it, it will crack, since moisture will turn to steam. Also, after the first firing (which should start at low temperatures and slowly increase over time) you can glaze it with ash-water paste and fire it again.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Can i ask what are the pro's of doing this with clay instead of a drawing on paper?

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Can i ask what are the pro's of doing this with clay instead of a drawing on paper?
Longevity, it the first one that comes to mind.

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
There's power in crafting your own things from raw materials.
The more time, dedication, care, effort and thought you put in, the more powerful it will turn out.
Sure you can use paper, if that's all you have available. You can make your own paper, or even a parchment if you have the tools and skills.
As far as clay goes, it's the most direct representation of earth, which is the philosophical body (to house your enchantment).
Clay's nature is such that you can mold it into anything and that aspect is utilized here. Unbaked tablet will also absorb the rainwater and incense smoke you brush into it. With baking / drying it in the sun you have the conjunction of the four elements. It's balance.
Can you achieve the same effect on simple storebought paper? Sure. Will it be nearly as cool? I don't think so. :p

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
You can adapt these steps for any kind of an intended effect, really.

1. Make a clay tablet of the intended recipient. It can be any kind of representation - Sigil, image, name etc.
Dry the tablet in the sun.
2. Collect some rain water and get a white feather, that has been found fallen on the ground.
3. Light some white sage, frankincense, sandalwood, myrrh, palo santo (all or a combination), or any other substance you find works for the intended effect. Speak your spell as you run the feather over the fumes.
4. Gently dip the feather in a cup of rainwater and carefully brush over the clay tablet, while speaking your spell.
5. Charge the clay tablet, then bake it (if you have the option to do so), or leave it to dry out in the sunlight really well (over the course of a month or longer), then wrap it in virgin white linen, cloth or silk and store it in a safe and secure place, preferably inside of something like a chest or a locked box.

Good luck and please share your experience if you try crafting your own.
We have a thick clay layer under the topsoil where I live, and I remember digging some up as a kid once to make an ashtray for my dad. Though no way to fire it, so I used I hairdryer on the hottest setting and it lasted till getting rained on. Maybe I could try doing that trick again for extra-special clay.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
We have a thick clay layer under the topsoil where I live, and I remember digging some up as a kid once to make an ashtray for my dad. Though no way to fire it, so I used I hairdryer on the hottest setting and it lasted till getting rained on. Maybe I could try doing that trick again for extra-special clay.
You don't have an oven?

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
You don't have an oven?
Food ovens don't go nearly hot enough to really fire the clay properly, but it's a decent first step in preparation for wood fire (and later - coal), after it dries well on it's own.

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
You can fire it in a fire pit.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Food ovens don't go nearly hot enough to really fire the clay properly, but it's a decent first step in preparation for wood fire (and later - coal), after it dries well on it's own.
Ya we were in an apartment back then, so obviously no access to a fire pit or anything. And my mom would've absolutely killed me if I tried to stick something I dug out of the dirt into our oven. :p

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
There's The Great Outdoors for that, then.
Haha YEP! Fucking hated the city. Not just for lack of wilderness, but also how little there was for child me to do without having money/having to be accompanied.