• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Animal afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slytherin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Awards
Guessing LHP and Grey magic dudes go to astral plane, RHP to which ever holiness they worked with, atheists terminate and get no afterlife and the sheep go to the afterlife of their religion they bleated most of their life, where do animals go?

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, Zoroastrians... Come to think of it, good animals that died in a pure state return to the primordial beast prototype. Bad ones like wolves and reptiles and scorpions go back to the Hostile Spirit and must be dispatched as cruelly as possible. I've only gotten as far as the pre-Achaemenid in terms of these details.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
In some beliefs, animals might end up becoming human or achieving human-levels of consciousness, specially if they live long enough.
atheists terminate and get no afterlife
I think it depend on the type of atheist one is.Some believe in reincarnation, others in a spiritual world of sorts that isn't heaven not hell, just another dimension of existence.And of course, there's the ones that think that once you're dead, that's it, no more existence.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, Zoroastrians... Come to think of it, good animals that died in a pure state return to the primordial beast prototype. Bad ones like wolves and reptiles and scorpions go back to the Hostile Spirit and must be dispatched as cruelly as possible. I've only gotten as far as the pre-Achaemenid in terms of these details.
Bad? Wolves were revered by several early Slavic peoples. And, across the woods, Odin was never (OK, rarely) without his lupine twins.

Wintruz

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Not Zoroastrians per se.

The Vendidad, which is where these insane ideas about animals are found, is largely a codification of pre-Zoroastrian, native Persian superstitions refracted through the lens of Zoroaster's theology. Most scholars maintain that it's exactly against these superstitions that Zoroaster struggled and surviving Zoroastrian groups in Iran and India (as well as the "Universalist" Zoroastrians) do not hold these attitudes towards animals.
Guessing LHP and Grey magic dudes go to astral plane, RHP to which ever holiness they worked with, atheists terminate and get no afterlife and the sheep go to the afterlife of their religion they bleated most of their life, where do animals go?
There is a presumption of wish fulfilment here. If a person wishes to experience their afterlife of choice I'd recommend creating a "total environment" in the here and now because it's as close as they're likely to come to it.

The only beings likely to survive death are those with a consciousness strong enough to withstand death. In the case of some animals I think this strength of consciousness could be the case. There are manifold stories around the world of cats, foxes, bears, etc. acting as masters and being revered by humans with the ability to perceive the quality of consciousness. I think one indication of that strength of consciousness could be the capacity to love.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
In some beliefs, animals might end up becoming human or achieving human-levels of consciousness, specially if they live long enough.
I recall a story about a dog with very human eyes who was able to perform feats of intelligence which drew crowds - I have browsed to find that story but it slipped away. Still, I have come across various notions of metempsychosis where the reverse is also true in that humans can also reincarnate as animals resembling the traits of their transgressions in a prior life.

I have often looked at the Zodiac from a "shamanistic" angle - the bestial archetypes sort of representing deeper layers of the human mind.

Bad? Wolves were revered by several early Slavic peoples. And, across the woods, Odin was never (OK, rarely) without his lupine twins.
"Bad" from the perspective of pastoralists who woke up one day (or over an evolving period) to find themselves in a "cosmic war".
For others, like you cited, or like Romans and Mongols, a different perspective.

I have sometimes wondered if the myth of Lycaon had ever been interpreted as a metempsychotic figure.

Not Zoroastrians per se.

The Vendidad, which is where these insane ideas about animals are found, is largely a codification of pre-Zoroastrian, native Persian superstitions refracted through the lens of Zoroaster's theology. Most scholars maintain that it's exactly against these superstitions that Zoroaster struggled and surviving Zoroastrian groups in Iran and India (as well as the "Universalist" Zoroastrians) do not hold these attitudes towards animals.
It was an example that came to mind at the moment.
The best detailed source so far I could find was Mary Boyce's admittedly dated History of Zoroastrianism Vol I - I have yet to find the second volume. It covers the broad and complex evolution much as you say, though she does dive somewhat into the animal cruelty aspects which sounded more like a type of ritualized pest control mixed with penitential practices against the backdrop of the cosmic war. No other source I have found even mentions such practices such as carrying a thorn in one's pocket to stab bugs, which must then be affixed to a wall or something so its death does not pollute the earth. She did state that this covered only a certain period in the evolution of the faith.

I thought it was interesting how Boyce relates a late "nativity story" about baby Zoroaster being protected by a wolf in fear of the Ahura which she cites as an example of the notion of turning "evil into good." It might have also been a kind of "sticking it to the Romans" type myth.
Post automatically merged:

My cat died on the 4th. Reincarnate in peace. ❤️
Poor kitty! Sorry for your loss. Pour some milk out to the Cats of Ulthar for a good transmigration.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Everything either reincarnates or re-unites with the Source.

The complete ceasing of existence is probably the rarest of outcomes.

Ziran

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
sheep go to the afterlife of their religion they bleated most of their life

I love this.

where do animals go?

re-assimilated back into the source

she was a cat-lady's cat-lady,

Enjoys the scritches, until she doesn't? You'll know because there's teeth and claws? But there is no way to predict when that will occur?

She's fun and a little scary?

My cat died on the 4th. Reincarnate in peace. ❤️

RIP annadroia's cat. Blessings on your journeys.

@annandrola, I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I love this.

re-assimilated back into the source

Enjoys the scritches, until she doesn't? You'll know because there's teeth and claws? But there is no way to predict when that will occur?

She's fun and a little scary?

RIP annadroia's cat. Blessings on your journeys.

@annandrola, I'm sorry for your loss.
Actually I recommended her because she writes feelingly of feline reincarnation.

annandrola

Neophyte
Reaction score
Thank you all for your condolences. And thanks to Xenophon for the interesting Devi recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.