• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Anyone Interested in Shin Megami Tensei

tarashirama

Neophyte
Reaction score
Has anybody in the Wizard Forum ever played any of the Shin Megami Tensei games? This is honestly how I stumbled upon the concept of occultism and I'm wondering if anyone else was introduced to occultism through this series. I'm currently finishing off SMT: Nocturne and Strange Journey.

KjEno186

Disciple
Staff member
Jr. Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I have a Playstation Portable that I haven't powered up in quite some time, so I kind of wonder if it even works anymore. I have two Shin Megami Tensei Persona games for it. I picked them up used at Gamestop around the same time I got started on Steam over a decade ago. Now that you mention the occult connection, it makes me think I should try playing them again. Of course, the occult is found in a lot of video games, but very few attempt anything resembling the 'reality' of it.

tarashirama

Neophyte
Reaction score
Yea you should definitely pick them back up if you have the time because I know how lengthy Shin Megami Tensei games can get. One of the things that I genuinely admire about SMT is how detailed the demonic compendium is. You can tell ATLUS really did their research on many different demonic compendiums such as the Lesser Key of Solomon with how they design and incorporate certain entities in their games. Amazing stuff.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
i totally dont like gaming, yeah well tetris and solitaire. my grandpa was literally a mason so building is in my blood ;)
i have been asking around why dungeons and dragons cant be occult and now you guys.....
i have kids who are into gaming, they eventually decided its cool to use in that sense, but nah. what im saying is its a very cool way to get acquainted, but id advise on researching developers, betaversions, background etc. id also look into neural networking just for the fun of making the occult more real.

in essensce id kill the game and destruct the joy out of it cause they created it and not me. but yes i homeschooled my kids and some of the gaming damn, greek gods, demons,wizardry. thats all just the game. but then the updates come, the i cant pay for a new game, now what? crashed pc, lets open it. and the best one: oopsy i got a virus and i did that. took a whole day of sitting in front of a pc restoring.

hell yeah gaming is occult.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not a game person, but I am so curious to know what that game is. Can you describe how this game is?

tarashirama

Neophyte
Reaction score
I'm not a game person, but I am so curious to know what that game is. Can you describe how this game is?
It's a role playing series that involves recruiting a number of demons and entities to assist you in completing the story. The stories vary depending on which iteration of Shin Megami Tensei you play, but the power system and the demonic compendium is overall the same. Your level determines the strength of entities that you're able to recruit. As you level up, you're able to recruit stronger demons/entities to assist you in fighting very powerful demons of different races to complete the story. You are also able to gain new and stronger abilities as you level up as well.