• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Are there any religions which don't hold Love to be a major cornerstone?

Ailius

Visitor
Reaction score
Love seems to be a central concept in the vast majority of religions. But I've come to the conclusion that the concept of Divine Love is a social construct and a lie to trick people into making sacrifices that bring them no benefit.

However, I still want to seek something beyond mere existence, but I literally can't find a religion that doesn't try to say Love is the meaning of existence.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Love seems to be a central concept in the vast majority of religions.
Though I think there is a difference between it's scriptures speaking of love(and some of them tend to speak of hate in equal measure, or more) and it's people actually preaching and practicing it.

I still want to seek something beyond mere existence
Such as?

I literally can't find a religion that doesn't try to say Love is the meaning of existence
One I think of right now is Shintoism.

Although I will say upfront that I'm not neither an adept nor a scholar of it, the few I've seen of it didn't seem to put emphasis on love, at least not as much as emphasis on harmony, nature(due to the spirtis of the land probably), family and of course the worship of the Kami.It feels more like a religion to help you get discipline, focus on your life and try to live an upright life(following their traditions and beliefs of what makes someone upright, but it also doesn't seem to be that strict about that).

Taoism(which can be both a religion and a philosophy) also doesn't put emphasis on love. although compassion does make an appearance here and there.In the end there is only The Path.

If you step out of the Abrahamic religions you will find other ones that might have what you seek.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Buddhism emphasizes compassion instead of love (I've always thought that "Love Thy Neighbour" was a bit of a tall order but 'compassion' as a moral imperative I can live with) though 'compassion' only applies to humans, not all those assorted buddhas & boddhisattvas. I think that's because buddhism mistrusts strong feelings and passions and that's why there is no place for a mystical 'fervor of divine love' in it. A very sober religion as religions go.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Love seems to be a central concept in the vast majority of religions. But I've come to the conclusion that the concept of Divine Love is a social construct and a lie to trick people into making sacrifices that bring them no benefit.

However, I still want to seek something beyond mere existence, but I literally can't find a religion that doesn't try to say Love is the meaning of existence.
Most forms of European "paganism" avoid the love-obsession. This holds true across the Celtic-Germanic-Greco/Roman spectrum. So too Satanism in its various permutations. Therevada Buddhism emphasis awakening, and compassion is---at most---one tool and by no means the chief one. Indeed Mahayana Buddhism represents a reaction against what was seen as the original Dharma's callousness. Shinto has never much been a smarmy creed of love. Dao, as practiced in its homeland, tries to avoid being an aersehole but it's hardly Nazarene nice. (Read China's history from earliest times.) Hinduism practices just about anything and is not necessarily fixated on love. Read Krishna's exhortation to Arjuna to rise and kill his kinsmen. Islam scarcely reduces to a creed of love. Judaism? Read the Old Testament, the Talmud, the headlines coming out of Gaza. Moses was history's first-named agent of genocide.

Roughly speaking, the "world religions" exhorting love are an exception, not the rule. One might opine that they represent indoctrination that makes aphids of most menschen, with an eye to benefitting a few ants.
Post automatically merged:

Personally, I think Kant has the last word here. Even though his roots were deep in protestant "pietism," he argued that one could not be commanded to love anything/one. At most, one could only be ordered to act "as if" one loved others.

Last edited:

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards

It's tricky

There are plenty of religions without love as a tenet but "some sort of service to something bigger than yourself" is a lot of what religion is. So it might be doing it for honour or truth or order rather than love, but it's still a sacrifice that doesn't bring you benefit

Maybe you don't actually want to be religious at all? It doesn't mean you have to be an atheist materialist, you can still believe there's a deeper mystery, but idk, I'm not seeing anything in your post that suggests you'd be a good fit for religion!

I'm not really an atheist anymore, but i was for a long time, and many of my friends still are, and I can tell you that religion is not required for a meaningful and beautiful life, it's just one way of finding meaning

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
AI answered this to that question. Pretty true.

"Here are some examples:

1. Zoroastrianism: In this ancient Iranian religion (circa 1500 BCE),
the primary focus is on Ahura Mazda (the Wise Lord) as a creator deity who
embodies goodness, truth, and justice. While love might not be explicitly
rejected, it's not considered a central virtue either.
2. Taoism (some interpretations): While Taoist philosophy emphasizes
balance, harmony, and the cyclical nature of life, some traditions focus
more on the concept of "wu wei" (non-action) than emotional or social
aspects like love. In these cases, love might be seen as a secondary
consideration.
3. Buddhism (some schools): Certain branches of Buddhism, such as
Theravada and Zen, prioritize mindfulness, detachment, and the cultivation
of wisdom over sentimental emotions like love. While compassion (karuna)
is an essential aspect of Buddhist teachings, it's not necessarily
equivalent to romantic or familial love.
4. Jainism: This ancient Indian philosophy focuses on non-violence
(ahimsa), self-control, and spiritual liberation. Love might not be
explicitly rejected, but it's not considered a central tenet either.

It's essential to note that:

* Many of these faiths still value compassion and kindness, which can
be seen as related to love.
  • Interpretations and emphasis may vary within each tradition.
  • **Cultural influences and historical context might have contributed to
the prioritization of certain values over others**.

These perspectives should not be taken as evidence that any particular
faith is inherently "cold" or uncaring. Rather, they highlight the
diversity of human experiences and the complex ways in which we approach
love, compassion, and other core values."

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
AI answered this to that question. Pretty true.

"Here are some examples:

1. Zoroastrianism: In this ancient Iranian religion (circa 1500 BCE),
the primary focus is on Ahura Mazda (the Wise Lord) as a creator deity who
embodies goodness, truth, and justice. While love might not be explicitly
rejected, it's not considered a central virtue either.
2. Taoism (some interpretations): While Taoist philosophy emphasizes
balance, harmony, and the cyclical nature of life, some traditions focus
more on the concept of "wu wei" (non-action) than emotional or social
aspects like love. In these cases, love might be seen as a secondary
consideration.
3. Buddhism (some schools): Certain branches of Buddhism, such as
Theravada and Zen, prioritize mindfulness, detachment, and the cultivation
of wisdom over sentimental emotions like love. While compassion (karuna)
is an essential aspect of Buddhist teachings, it's not necessarily
equivalent to romantic or familial love.
4. Jainism: This ancient Indian philosophy focuses on non-violence
(ahimsa), self-control, and spiritual liberation. Love might not be
explicitly rejected, but it's not considered a central tenet either.

It's essential to note that:

* Many of these faiths still value compassion and kindness, which can
be seen as related to love.
  • Interpretations and emphasis may vary within each tradition.
  • **Cultural influences and historical context might have contributed to
the prioritization of certain values over others**.

These perspectives should not be taken as evidence that any particular
faith is inherently "cold" or uncaring. Rather, they highlight the
diversity of human experiences and the complex ways in which we approach
love, compassion, and other core values."
Well said. I suppose one could include Confucianism in the mix. In some cultures, philosophy and religion have no hard and fast line separating them. I am told a Confucian rejoinder to the Nazarene creed's "love your enemy" was "Do I therefore hate my friends?" Looking at current eventsand the West's 文化自杀 (cultural suicide) answers that question pretty emphatically, "Of course!" (Modern and post-modern humanitarianism are the Christians' secular whelps, after all.)

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Well what is interesting is that sexuality is nr 9 in qabbalah, and the sefira of the Foundation. So our entire Foundation is Sexual which again enties our beings to Love itself.

Ailius

Visitor
Reaction score
I guess I need to share some context. I used to be a devout Catholic. I turned 18 right around 9/11 and became a true believer in fighting terrorism. I served in Afghanistan and sacrificed many things along the way while witnessing others do the same.

For what? We ended up doing nothing. Some special interests got rich. The only service I provided to my community was supporting the Petrodollar and by extension all of modern hedonism. It feels like everyone else got to party and I got tasked with cleaning up the mess.

My mental health is poor. All the therapists can do is refer me to spiritual help. And all the priest suggests I do is volunteer more. Sacrifice more time for my community.

I've grown tired of sacrificing. I was promised there would be some sort of Divine Love in return but have yet to experience anything other than broken promises.

So, I'm looking around at the other religions for something that isn't "make sacrifices for your community" or "know that humanity is One".

I have read the suggestions here. Shinto is a valid suggestion though that's a Japanese ethnic religion. It's also the religion that inspired kamikaze pilots, which is as "sacrifice for the nation" as you can get.

Taoism is worth considering too. Harmony is a bit too close to "Oneness" but it's not the same.

The other problem is practicing it. I'm located in the Bible Belt so other than Christian churches and one or two tarot readers.

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Everything in balance according to your own dreams and wishes. No idea to sacrifice yourself too much or you become weak. I would look into Satanism if I was you because it's just the opposite of everything else and really builds about making your own ego strong. Which could be a good point if you have sacrificed too much.

Mars

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards

What kind of religions are you talking about? Surely only the abrahamic ones.

Divine Love is a social construct and a lie to trick people into making sacrifices that bring them no benefit.

You come to a good conclusion but this one still lacks refinement.

Read up about what came before the abrahamic religions took over. Get aquainted with metaphysical concepts and so on. You are right, you don't need a religion. Religion is just spirituality for people that lack interest.

Saying "I'm part of this and that religion" is only a ego thing. You dont need to find a religion, but what the original beliefs transmitted.

I guess I need to share some context. I used to be a devout Catholic. I turned 18 right around 9/11 and became a true believer in fighting terrorism. I served in Afghanistan and sacrificed many things along the way while witnessing others do the same.

For what? We ended up doing nothing. Some special interests got rich. The only service I provided to my community was supporting the Petrodollar and by extension all of modern hedonism. It feels like everyone else got to party and I got tasked with cleaning up the mess.

My mental health is poor. All the therapists can do is refer me to spiritual help. And all the priest suggests I do is volunteer more. Sacrifice more time for my community.

I've grown tired of sacrificing. I was promised there would be some sort of Divine Love in return but have yet to experience anything other than broken promises.

So, I'm looking around at the other religions for something that isn't "make sacrifices for your community" or "know that humanity is One".

I have read the suggestions here. Shinto is a valid suggestion though that's a Japanese ethnic religion. It's also the religion that inspired kamikaze pilots, which is as "sacrifice for the nation" as you can get.

Taoism is worth considering too. Harmony is a bit too close to "Oneness" but it's not the same.

The other problem is practicing it. I'm located in the Bible Belt so other than Christian churches and one or two tarot readers.

Ok that explains it. You were a pawn for the jews. You should feel bad about what you did in Afghanistan, but you can never make it right.

At least abandon your dogmas and find out what transcendence really is.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards

I feel that I need to be as Authentic as I can be, when it comes to Love. I feel that I can only Love to a certain extent. For example: I don't like what the Elite are doing when it comes to sacrificing Children. I don't believe in harming anybody even if they do me wrong. However, if you put your hands on me, I am going to destroy you. Other than that, We in good terms.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards

Location matters less when you have Wi-Fi.

Community might be worth sacrificing for. It's hard to say. We have not had any community for a long, long time. Long predating either of our births.

You might look at the Gaia Hypothesis. In some ways it's a science-derived view suggestive of Daoism. It takes the view that the Earth is a single organism. There's nothing wrong with Daoism. But a lot of Westerners can't resist the temptation to play enigmatic pseudo-sage dropping pithy quotes and wu-weing away the while.