• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Baphomet: Symbol or Deity? (Or both?)

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I've seen a lot of people on different forums saying different things about this very well known figure. If you go to TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, etc you will find people worshiping him as if he is an "all loving" and "peaceful" deity and then if you venture deeper into the hidden forums of the internet or books you will find rather dark and sometimes even questionable scriptures or books that people wrote about their experiences with this deity. But then there are also those that say he is just a symbol of the Left Hand Path. Any thoughts or opinions?

Pyrokar

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
narrows eyes
guys i... i think this guy worships Bathomet......Hanz, get ze flammenwerfer

my two cents he isn't THE symbol of the Left Hand just one of many symbols.
if it had to be one, it could only be the big D himself.
he's pretty prominent in Metal culture but i really don't know enough to risk talking shit.

also anything you get off of tiktok etc should automatically be assumed as false and deleted from the cortex.

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
narrows eyes
guys i... i think this guy worships Bathomet......Hanz, get ze flammenwerfer

my two cents he isn't THE symbol of the Left Hand just one of many symbols.
if it had to be one, it could only be the big D himself.
he's pretty prominent in Metal culture but i really don't know enough to risk talking shit.

also anything you get off of tiktok etc should automatically be assumed as false and deleted from the cortex.
What you say about Tiktok is very VERY true. I've seen falsity after falsity coming from there when it comes to the occult even to the point that I got sick of it and ended up deleting the app. (probably for the best anyways)
Post automatically merged:

Although, the idea of Baphomet in general has always confused me. I've never personally tried working with them. (if that's even possible) The idea is still interesting though due to how much controversy surrounds the character.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
The O9A has a lot of writings to the effect that one can go either way with any of the gods/demons. Identity, they aver, is a very slippery thing and doubly so when it comes to such beings. One (maybe) encounters certain forces; how one characterizes these is up to the mage and his weave.

Interestingly, that group characterizes Baphomet as female. I do not know whether this has some ontological footing or whether David Myatt's femdom fetish steps here to the fore. (Seriously: look at O9A's Defeol Quintet novels. A woman who sleeps around is empowered; a man who does so is liable to a death sentence.)

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
The O9A has a lot of writings to the effect that one can go either way with any of the gods/demons. Identity, they aver, is a very slippery thing and doubly so when it comes to such beings. One (maybe) encounters certain forces; how one characterizes these is up to the mage and his weave.

Interestingly, that group characterizes Baphomet as female. I do not know whether this has some ontological footing or whether David Myatt's femdom fetish steps here to the fore. (Seriously: look at O9A's Defeol Quintet novels. A woman who sleeps around is empowered; a man who does so is liable to a death sentence.)
I completely forgot about the O9A for a while if I'm being honest. I've always avoided their writings for very obvious reasons but I do remember a good friend of mine (he is not in any way a practitioner of the O9A's traditions by the way) told me about a book he read about their "sinister" traditions surrounding their worship of Baphomet but I frankly wasn't paying attention to what he said because I didn't want anything to do with O9A. However, I do know that they promote sacrificing humans to them as to other deities they worship.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I completely forgot about the O9A for a while if I'm being honest. I've always avoided their writings for very obvious reasons but I do remember a good friend of mine (he is not in any way a practitioner of the O9A's traditions by the way) told me about a book he read about their "sinister" traditions surrounding their worship of Baphomet but I frankly wasn't paying attention to what he said because I didn't want anything to do with O9A. However, I do know that they promote sacrificing humans to them as to other deities they worship.
I had a seminary professor who noted that one could count highway fatalities as offerings to the gods Convenience and Celerity. Or, again, MS-13 kills more folks in a year than O9A in their seventeen year cycle. And I am assured letting the former ingress north of the Rio Bravo "contributes to cultural diversity." In a word, get a grip there, man. O9A is not going to come snatch you from your bed.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
You can invoke any being - even if it was the fabrication of French writer or the fetish of the Templars. From my (limited) experience Baphomet is very much concerned with sexuality and (in my personal opinion) has been twisted and misused by popmagick as so many other concepts are.
Eliphas Levi wrote that he is a Christian symbol.

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
You can invoke any being - even if it was the fabrication of French writer or the fetish of the Templars. From my (limited) experience Baphomet is very much concerned with sexuality and (in my personal opinion) has been twisted and misused by popmagick as so many other concepts are.
Eliphas Levi wrote that he is a Christian symbol.
That is very useful insight. I suppose if you are a believer in the placebo effect then yes, you CAN invoke any being as long as you believe in them. And honestly, I hate popmagick with a passion just for the inaccuracies it promotes.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
There has already been a Baphomet thread here (plus two books in the Library):

Just saying & not to stifle any discussions here, it's just that you might save yourself the trouble of wading again through the same (dubious?) historical information and the most common popular controversies.

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
There has already been a Baphomet thread here (plus two books in the Library):

Just saying & not to stifle any discussions here, it's just that you might save yourself the trouble of wading again through the same (dubious?) historical information and the most common popular controversies.
Thank you very much. This is actually insanely useful

Rowena

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
You can invoke any being - even if it was the fabrication of French writer...
Absolutely - if Chaos Magicians can work with Lovecraftian entities, there's no reason others can't work with Baphomet, even if they are both the invention of 19th century authors.

Wintruz

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
D7M59S.jpg

The identification of "Baphomet" with a bearded head turns up in a few Templar trials and, crucially, at least two of these are independent of each other (see Barber). Given circumstantial evidence, I would hazard a relic believed by the Templars to be the head of John the Baptist. The allegation of apostasy to Islam (and so Baphomet becomes "Mahomet"/Mohammed) rings hollow: Islam has no honour of severed heads and Clement V and Philippe would have simply identified them as apostates and that would have been the pretext for suppression.

Starting with Eliphas Levi and down to 'The Satanic Temple', the name has been applied to a demonic rendering which has nothing to do with the historical word. The Order of Nine Angles applies the name to a wisdom goddess, perhaps in homage to the Greek "Sophia" (wisdom) which is the word arrived at when "Baphomet" is interpreted through the Atbash Cipher.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I've seen a lot of people on different forums saying different things about this very well known figure. If you go to TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, etc you will find people worshiping him as if he is an "all loving" and "peaceful" deity and then if you venture deeper into the hidden forums of the internet or books you will find rather dark and sometimes even questionable scriptures or books that people wrote about their experiences with this deity. But then there are also those that say he is just a symbol of the
If you go to my previous thread. I share my experience with Baphomet.

Many blessings!!!

Accipeveldare

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
If you go to my previous thread. I share my experience with Baphomet.

Many blessings!!!
I shall take a good look.