• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion Benebel Wen's I Ching: The Oracle

Talk about a book(s)

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Reaction score
Awards
Hey all, I've been around for a few years, but just recently got the wherewithal to actually post.

I've been reading/studying Taoism for a few years, on and off, and ultimately found something that is probably one of the best primers of the I Ching. The title says it all.

Other I Ching books that I've read do give some background on the history, how to cast, etc. but this is the first book I have come across that does more than just provide translations of the hexagrams or individual lines. She not only provides her own insight into the meaning of the hexagrams and the lines, but also provides alternate possible translations for each Hanzi, the historical representations, how they actually interplay with the culture which the hexagrams were written, and even how each line/hexagram may reference Chinese/Asian mythology and how those references interplay with the meaning.
I have taken actual academic courses on Taoism/Tao Te Ching/I Ching and even those weren't anywhere near as comprehensive as this text. She also provides youtube videos on the culture surrounding Taoism/Taoist magic which she interlaces references to her book (probably a means to subtly get you to buy it, but still helpful none-the-less). I'm not sure if anyone else has read this book/primer and/or other's texts and how they compare.
Just looking to ultimately start a discussion on this text or even branch more into taoism magic/divinatory practices discussion.

Moongarm71

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Took your advice and downloaded it. Looks good!

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
James Dekorne has a website featuring 9 side-by-side I Ching translations. That's useful as a way of controlling what's unavoidably read into the text by translators. The ancient Chinese writing style strikes us as highly allusive, due in part by the fact that we approach it without the oral tradition that surrounded it at time of composition. (A matter that affects reading any ancient religious text. The Bible for instance.)

In any event, I'm going to give Wen's efforts a good look.