• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Recommendation Best book for beginners in high magick?

Seeking or giving recommendations for books.

Konvent

Neophyte
Reaction score
Warned: Belongs in book discussions section.
Say you have capacity to read only 1 book to kickstart your senses and start working on your higher self's goals, which book would you suggest?

I have treated magick from highly chaotic perspective in the past and feel like this has really ruined me by disregarding and being too lazy to care about traditions and collective wisdom therein.

What's the single book you suggest I can start practicing properly with?

Ilúvatar

Neophyte
Reaction score
The Arbatel... it's short, simple, charming in its way, not dangerous and teaches some good wisdom. Maybe an oddball recommendation, but I started with it (on the recommendation of someone else).

I think it's better to dip in and try before fishing out the various "how to's" written by more experiences magicians. My two cents anyway...

Wintruz

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
All a book can do, at best, is help you to hone certain skills and modes of consciousness so that you can hear from yourself. In ye olde language, they help you get your head into Tiphareth so that the Crown (Kether) can be placed on your head. What helps you get into this place is entirely individual and so a good place to begin would be by looking at your deepest interests. If in doubt, go to the first image of magic which really "spoke" to you and made this seem like a viable thing to spend your life on. This may range from Mickey Mouse in Fantasia to Harry Potter, to vampires to Japanese river witches.

In other words, tell us more about you and then I'll be better placed to recommend a book/curriculum.

Sabbatius

Apprentice
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Probably Damien Echol's book (Kraig's "Eleven/Twelve Lessons" is thought by many people to be a bit dated).
I'll recommend Donald Michael Kraig's Modern Magick 3rd Edition, however we only have the 2nd Edition here which is still useful. Dated? Yes. Still useful? Very. Only issue I have with it is that it is basically the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn in Kraig's revision. But, to this defense, much of modern magical practice is rooted or has evolved from HOGD so this is a good start.

MofoMojo

Neophyte
Reaction score
I'll recommend Donald Michael Kraig's Modern Magick 3rd Edition, however we only have the 2nd Edition here which is still useful. Dated? Yes. Still useful? Very. Only issue I have with it is that it is basically the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn in Kraig's revision. But, to this defense, much of modern magical practice is rooted or has evolved from HOGD so this is a good start.
If we need the 3rd edition I have a copy of it I can post...
Post automatically merged:

Modern Magick - 3rd Edition PDF

Last edited: