• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Botwinka (chard soup)

WeirdGnome

Apprentice
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Instructions:
preparation time: up to 30 minutes
/proportions for approx. 2 liters of soup/

1 and 1/2 liters of meat or vegetable broth according to any favorite recipe, e.g.
OR water with a homemade vegetable cube, e.g. according to this recipe:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

1 bunch chard
1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
salt - to taste, the amount I will not give, because it depends on how the stock was seasoned)
black pepper - as above, to taste
1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice, but I prefer balsamic vinegar because it gives the soup a deeper, fuller flavor)
1 teaspoon sugar (or more, just to taste)
1-2 teaspoons of flour to take (can be omitted for gluten-free or protein versions)
a small amount of water or milk to spread the flour
a few tablespoons of cream for soups and sauces or natural yoghurt (for whitening, so the amount at your discretion)
2-3 tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs - dill is the best, but you can also make a mixture by adding a tablespoon of dill, parsley and, for example, chives to the soup
I cook the decoction according to any proven recipe or heat it if I already have it ready.

In the meantime, I thoroughly wash the chard (especially in the lower part and at the base of the leaves, because a lot of sand and mud likes to collect there). Then I cut it quite finely - beets into cubes, leaves and stems into strips, i.e. I shred like cabbage;))

I put the chopped chard into the boiling broth, add lemon juice to acidify the beetroots and keep their color, then mix, cover and cook covered over low heat for a few minutes (5-10) until the beetroots are cooked, i.e. softened, but they will still be firm :)

While the botwinka is cooking, I wash, dry and chop fresh herbs, e.g. dill.

When the vegetables have softened, I season the soup to taste - salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and sugar. I like botwinka to be slightly sour and slightly peppery, so I season it in this direction;)

And when the soup tastes good to me, I take a little puff and whiten it. This can be done in at least two ways:
– I spread the flour in the cream, temper the mixture with a small amount of hot soup, then pour it into the soup and boil or
– I infuse the soup with water/milk and flour (in a pot), then add yogurt or sour cream (in a pot or on plates).
I prefer the second variant, because thanks to this I slightly thicken and whiten the soup in the pot, after which everyone, individually, can add yogurt or cream in the amount according to their preferences ;)

In a separate dish, I spread the flour with a small amount of water or milk - so that there are no lumps. Pour this mixture into hot soup, stir and bring to a boil. I cook for a while so that the flour loses its rawness, then turn off the heat and add the cream or yogurt. Pour the cream/yoghurt into a separate container, add a bit of hot soup, mix quickly and thoroughly, and then pour this heated mixture into the beetroot, so it won't curdle in the soup.
Sour cream or yogurt can also be added individually, i.e. I serve them separately and everyone adds them on their own plate in the amount of their own liking.

At the end, add the previously chopped herbs, mix and it's ready.

I serve hot. It also tastes great with additions, e.g. with a hard-boiled egg (as for sorrel soup or sour rye soup), with new potatoes and dill, or with cottage cheese or feta cheese.

Enjoy your meal:)