• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Can you share with us your experiences working with hekate?

Dona

Neophyte
Reaction score
Could you recommend some reputable books on Hekate?Which books should I avoid? What does Hekate represent to you? Are there any common misrepresentations of Hekate that I should disregard to establish a genuine connection with her?

Tryp

Neophyte
Reaction score
Most books written or edited by Sorita d'Este (published by Avalonia Books) are interesting to learn the basics and about other people's approaches, principally
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
by d'Este and David Rankine. The Temple of Hekate by Tara Sanchez is interesting too from a practical standpoint.

Jack Grayle gives a solid practice structure in The Hekataeon, if you prefer to adopt a by-the-book approach.

To dive a bit deeper into the classical figure, in a more academic fashion, you can look into essays by Sarah Iles Johnston. Hekate Soteira about the chaldean/neoplatonic take on the figure, and also Restless Dead.

Imho avoid books that mostly use Hekate workings as an outlet for edgy fluff, or awkward feminist takes like Cyndi Brannen's.

Romolo

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Try “Love in the Darkness”, an essay by Mark Smith. It is a beautiful and personal account of a magician and their connection to Hekate. The text is part of “Devoted“, published by Scarlet Imprint. You will find it here in the book shares section.

Jackson

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not advanced, but I can say I was only able to make contact with a... cooperative spirit again with the assistance of another magician.

I would not be able to assuredly verify if it was Hekate related, I simply wish to suggest that these adventures are not necessarily succesful if you yourself are not advanced, let alone if the method is... of yourself, highly informal. If I was going to try it again, I would certainly look at The Temple of Hekate. The Hekataeon looks more advanced.