• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Celtic Qabalah

Reaction score
Awards
Trying to map it out. Anyone know spirits or deities that correspond to zodiac signs within only the Celtic pantheon?

Irish Bard

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hi

I'm a native of the motherland! This is an interesting idea - The Celtic pantheon is very fluid though and is a mismash of different cycles and subcultures, what's worse is that most of our recorded understanding is actually based on Roman documentation. However I personally think you can get away with these things as symbols are supposed to be individually interpreted :)

Here is my run down of the twelve (IMHO)

Balor - Aries. Now you could make a case for Leo as the Balor's eye is most often seen as a solar symbol BUT he is so rooted in the classic warrior archetype and the impatient, forceful energy that is the essence of Aries energy - I think this is the best fit.

Aine - Taurus - She is basically the Celtic Venus/Aphrodite. Now while Taurus and Libra are both ruled by Venus, Libra is more about balance and intellectualism than voluptuous passionate love energy. Also Libra is a masculine sign - Taurus is about beauty and sensuality, so she seems the best fit.

Aengus - Gemini - Now there aren't any prominent Castor and Pollux twin figures in the Celtic cycles to my amateur knowledge BUT this God is the best candidate for a Hermes equivalent. A God of art, youth, speech and poetry (key word cleverness). Yes I know Mercury also rules Virgo but I'm very much of the Linda Goodman school of though that this is a temporary situation pending the discovery of Virgo's true ruler.

Brigid - Cancer - The sign of yours truly :). Triple Goddess - tick, Moon Goddess - tick, moods and dreams tick, tick.

Lugh - Leo -The key solar God and shining warrior- regal, just and majestic

Virgo... I will come back to this.

Bres - Libra. This God has a real dualistic nature often being spoken about as demonic and beautiful in the same breath. Born a Fomorian (yet beautiful) and he also became a king of the Tuatha Dé Danann, so the dualism, balance and the intellectual nature (his story involves intricate scheming and planning) of the Libra archetype is very much there.

I will come back to this. Very interested in your project!

Irish Bard

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Trying to map it out. Anyone know spirits or deities that correspond to zodiac signs within only the Celtic pantheon?

OK So yes meant to finish up on this one - here is my interpretation of all twelve zodiac signs in Celtic Myth:

Balor - Aries. Now you could make a case for Leo as the Balor's eye is most often seen as a solar symbol BUT he is so rooted in the classic warrior archetype and the impatient, forceful energy that is the essence of Aries energy - I think this is the best fit.

Aine - Taurus - She is basically the Celtic Venus/Aphrodite. Now while Taurus and Libra are both ruled by Venus, Libra is more about balance and intellectualism than voluptuous passionate love energy. Also Libra is a masculine sign - Taurus is about beauty and sensuality, so she seems the best fit.

Aengus - Gemini - Now there aren't any prominent Castor and Pollux twin figures in the Celtic cycles to my amateur knowledge BUT this God is the best candidate for a Hermes equivalent. A God of art, youth, speech and poetry (key word cleverness). Yes I know Mercury also rules Virgo but I'm very much of the Linda Goodman school of though that this is a temporary situation pending the discovery of Virgo's true ruler.

Brigid - Cancer - The sign of yours truly :). Triple Goddess - tick, Moon Goddess - tick, moods and dreams tick, tick.

Lugh - Leo -The key solar God and shining warrior- regal, just and majestic

Danu -Virgo - Now there is a lot of close association between Danu, Brigid and Morrigan BUT the Brigid aspect of this possibly merged deity (but I think there is enough evidence that they existed independently, even if it was over different time periods) is mostly connected with dreams and illusions, while Morrigan is clearly connected with the underworld. Danu is often aligned with the harvest and wisdom, so an excellent fit for Virgo.

Bres - Libra. This God has a real dualistic nature often being spoken about as demonic and beautiful in the same breath. Born a Fomorian (yet beautiful) and he also became a king of the Tuatha Dé Danann, so the dualism, balance and the intellectual nature (his story involves intricate scheming and planning) of the Libra archetype is very much there.

Morrigan- Scorpio. The Goddess of death and the underworld but also of valour and sacrifice. The archetypal Scorpio symbol.

Nuada/Airgetlám - Sagittarius. The first king of the Tuatha Dé Danann, the symbolic link between Zeus/Saturn and Odin is clear. Like Odin he sacrificed part of himself for knowledge (in his case his hand as opposed to an eye). Again a symbolic link to Chiron the wounded healer centaur who is the chief Sagittarius symbol.

Cernunnos-Capricorn. The closest equivalent of Pan. Like Pan he is a horned God of the wild places, who stands apart from the Royal courts of the main pantheon.

Dagda - Aquarius. Not an easy one this, here is my reasoning - The Dagda is the oldest of the Celtic gods which corresponds to Uranus (the first titan). He also possessed the cauldron of life and knowledge which is a further correspondence to the classic water bearer symbol of Aquarius - Ganymede who carries the magical waters of life for Zeus.

Lir- Pisces The God of the sea like Poseidon and Neptune interestingly enough he is often seen as THE SEA as opposed to a superhuman deity who rules the ocean. This aspect is a key tie in to Pisces which is often said to be the most unknowable of the Zodiac signs and a combination of the other eleven as it stands at the completion of the cycle. If the zodiac is seen as a life cycle from birth (Aries) to adolescence (Cancer) then Pisces is the death and rebirth (again I found this model in Linda Goodman's excellent writings) and what better representation than the primordial sea that birthed the first life?

That's my take. Love to hear others, please feel free to disagree! Keep us posted on this project [I]Diluculo_DelFuego[/I] it is a fascinating concept!

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
When I lived in the Moray Firth sometimes I would "see" in the sea mist, tiny points of pink-red light. It seemed to be the light of the Mysteries held by the sea gods.

Many years later in Australia the meditation group was on a small hill, shaped like Glastonbury Tor, on the part above the initiation chamber. One of the local sea gods was interested and had come to a couple of miles off shore, standing thigh-deep in the water. I could see him inwardly.

So I pointed him out to the group and one of the women burst into tears. She said: He is a cyclops!

I could not see that detail but later Google told me that many of the sea gods were/are cyclops.

The local sea gods hold the Mysteries and I have seen them on occasion using the Triple Grip that may be the oldest ritual aspect of Freemasonry.

Irish Bard

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
When I lived in the Moray Firth sometimes I would "see" in the sea mist, tiny points of pink-red light. It seemed to be the light of the Mysteries held by the sea gods.

Many years later in Australia the meditation group was on a small hill, shaped like Glastonbury Tor, on the part above the initiation chamber. One of the local sea gods was interested and had come to a couple of miles off shore, standing thigh-deep in the water. I could see him inwardly.

So I pointed him out to the group and one of the women burst into tears. She said: He is a cyclops!

I could not see that detail but later Google told me that many of the sea gods were/are cyclops.

The local sea gods hold the Mysteries and I have seen them on occasion using the Triple Grip that may be the oldest ritual aspect of Freemasonry.
The most famous Celtic Cyclops is the Balor who led his people the Formors in battle against the Tuatha Dé Danann (the people of the hollow hills)