• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Cramps/arms seized during meditation

Hypnos

Visitor
Reaction score
Tried deep concentrated breathing meditation for the first time. Was overly enthusiastic about it, whatever thought came into my head was washed away by my focus on the next breath. I was attempting to record how many times in 15 minutes I'd get distracted while meditating. I was breathing really intensely and breathes became quicker as to enhance focus, most of my body was tingling. Around the 11 minute mark my arms were raised in awkward positions and curled up like I had received brain damage and I stopped early since I dropped my lantern. My arms could move after a few minutes, but I'm still a little shaky. Did you guys ever have anything similar happen? Could this be attributed to some sort of cardiovascular issue?

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
All I can say for sure is that you hyperventilated. Spasms in the hands and feet are one symptom, the tingling is another. Try slowing your breath. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be something like breathe in for a count of 10, hold it for a count of 10, breathe out again for a count of 10.
Obviously there are going to be people here with waaaaay more experience than me who can give more advice :)

Hypnos

Visitor
Reaction score
All I can say for sure is that you hyperventilated. Spasms in the hands and feet are one symptom, the tingling is another. Try slowing your breath. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be something like breathe in for a count of 10, hold it for a count of 10, breathe out again for a count of 10.
Obviously there are going to be people here with waaaaay more experience than me who can give more advice :)
Aw man that takes all the fun out of it. I thought I was speshul.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Definitely hyperventilation. It happened to me once during a partner exercise. My hands were curled up in a cramp so badly that I couldn't even hold a mug which is supposed to be a typical sign of hyperventilation. That's why I avoid breathing exercises when meditating (other than trying to fill/empty my lungs completely instead of breathing superficially) for now and focus on keeping my mind free from intruding thoughts instead.

Many recommend the Fourfold Breath/Box Breathing but I don't have any practical experience with that method myself.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Tried deep concentrated breathing meditation for the first time. Was overly enthusiastic about it, whatever thought came into my head was washed away by my focus on the next breath. I was attempting to record how many times in 15 minutes I'd get distracted while meditating. I was breathing really intensely and breathes became quicker as to enhance focus, most of my body was tingling. Around the 11 minute mark my arms were raised in awkward positions and curled up like I had received brain damage and I stopped early since I dropped my lantern. My arms could move after a few minutes, but I'm still a little shaky. Did you guys ever have anything similar happen? Could this be attributed to some sort of cardiovascular issue?
Dropped your lantern? Holding anything aloft is going to cause problems till you're accustomed to it. (Stand 'mongst a battalion called to attention on an August Ft. Benning parade-ground---you'll like at not get a half-dozen numbntuz who lock knees and drop as if poleaxed inside 10 minutes.) Get in a comfortable position with hands on knees or folded in lap.

Aeternus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Your systems indicate a hyperventilation.

Its effects mostly cease in effect after several minutes or in extreme cases only, after an hour. But I don't think it is an extreme case here.

You should be more careful when doing breathing meditation and you will see it will all go along fine within the practice.

Try with slow breaths (especially for beginners) and, according to the training you have to do, do ONLY the indicated number of breathing that is required by the meditation program you follow