• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion Damien Echols - High Magick: A Guide to the Spiritual Practices That Saved My Life on Death Row

Talk about a book(s)

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Damien Echols!!! They targeted him for being into the occult from the start, thanks for uploading it here where it belongs.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Many people say that this is one of the best books for beginners.

912Xj+3Db9L._SL1500_.jpg

At age 18, Damien Echols was sentenced to death for a crime he didn’t commit. "I spent my years in prison training to be a true magician," he recalls. "I used magick—the practice of reshaping reality through our intention and will—to stave off incredible pain, despair, and isolation. But the most amazing feat of all that practice and study was to manifest my freedom." With High Magick, this bestselling author shares his first teaching book on the powerful spiritual techniques that helped him survive and transcend his ordeal on death row.

Though our culture has consigned "magic" to fiction, stage illusions, or superstitions about dark practices, the magick Damien learned is an ancient Western tradition equal the Eastern practices of Buddhism, Taoism, and yoga in its wisdom and transformative power. Here he brings you an engaging and highly accessible guide for bringing magick into your own life, including:

• What is High Magick? Damien clears away the stigma and reveals the history and core teachings of this extraordinary art.
• The Four-Fold Breath—a foundational meditation practice to train your mind and body to channel subtle energies.
• The Middle Pillar—how to bring divine energy into the central channel of your body for empowerment and healing.
• The Qabalistic Cross—a centering technique to help you stay balanced and protected regardless of circumstances.
• The Lesser Rituals of the Pentagram—powerful practices for banishing negative energies and invoking energy to manifest your goals.
• Working with angelic beings and other spiritual allies to support your practice.
• Creating thoughtforms to assist you in your ongoing magickal development.
• Guidance for overcoming your doubts, enhancing your visualization skills, creating talismans, practicing magick ethically, and much more.

"Magick is a journey," writes Damien. "It’s a continuously unfolding path that has no end. You can study and practice magick for the rest of your life and you will still never learn everything that it has to teach you." If you’re ready to discover your untapped potential for co-creating your reality with the energy of the divine, then join this extraordinary teacher to begin your training in High Magick.

Buy:

One of my favorite books on magick, a great beginner's book and his story is amazing.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
There are those who think that Echols and company were, in fact, guilty. As one article put it, the real miscarriage of justice was in releasing the trio. (Myself, I haven't settled into any opinion one way or the other. Aside from noting that young Echols has morphed into the consummate showman.) One would have hoped this forum would be some small cut above the tribalism of circling the wagons every time an occultist is accused of an offense. Not every pervert and slasher is an ordained Baptist minister, just saying. Why I knew one Typhonian High Priest who actually failed to put change in a parking meter once. (Scant minutes before the vindictive legal system targeted his hooptie and ticketed it.)

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
There are those who think that Echols and company were, in fact, guilty. As one article put it, the real miscarriage of justice was in releasing the trio.
Kind of curious what the argument for this is because it seems overwhelmingly obvious he was scapegoated.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Sentinel
Reaction score
Awards
An episode of the Netflix series "The Midnight Gospel" was about Damien Echols. I look forward to reading the book and commenting further in this thread as time permits...

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Kind of curious what the argument for this is because it seems overwhelmingly obvious he was scapegoated.
Google around a bit. Thoughtcatalogue.com has a piece, as does crimerocket.com. I seem to recall the Arkansas Supreme Court cleared the way for new DNA tests some few weeks back. If those are available and in Echols' favor, the guilt-sayers' contentions become pretty moot. Still, I've been leery of "overwhelmingly obvious" since at least the Dreyfus case straight on down to St. Floyd of Fentanyl.

I recall a case long ago on "60 Minutes." The show did a very damning portrayal of an Army doctor who claimed his wife and kids were murdered by crazed hippies. Thanks in part to that hatchet piece, he went to prison for life. Twenty years later 60 Minutes had a piece compellingly arguing how the poor doc had been railroaded and how crazed hippies had done the deed. Around then I started to think fekk the muckrakers & crusaders for justice.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I've watched all of the documentaries on The West Memphis 3 case as well as digging through the records and evidence from the Trials.

If you really look at everything with an objective outlook it's easy to see how they scapegoated and railroaded those 3 kids on nothing more than backwoods satanic panic.

They were finally released because the State knew they didn't have a case to win the re-trial and the only physical evidence based on DNA seems to point towards Terry Hobbs and David Jacoby.

As far as Damien Echols goes I think he is an outstanding teacher of Energy Work used in Ritual High and Low Magick. He covers a lot of Visualizations that most other authors leave out completely.

His books are great and especially for beginners but really anyone.

He also has some innovative methods for raising your consciousness and working up through the spheres on the Tree of Life.

I would highly recommend study of his books and if they help you, there is more to find and learn from on his Patreon and Youtube.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
@Xenophon
I did do the research, but i also am shameless in "tribalizing" us. When real crimes and tragedies happen
they were very quick to label us all. When rock and metal took off they were very quick to encircle everyone remotely
different. When someone was talented they just said the devil gave him the skills. And the likes of Paganini or Crowley monetized that
But when it turns out it was a set up, not a peep.
Even today and especially before, your individuality meant nothing you would burn with the rest of them.
There are never too many of us running around and i dunno, i feel like we should watch out for eachother.
But also stand in the way of those of us who go to the other extreme

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
@Xenophon
I did do the research, but i also am shameless in "tribalizing" us. When real crimes and tragedies happen
they were very quick to label us all. When rock and metal took off they were very quick to encircle everyone remotely
different. When someone was talented they just said the devil gave him the skills. And the likes of Paganini or Crowley monetized that
But when it turns out it was a set up, not a peep.
Even today and especially before, your individuality meant nothing you would burn with the rest of them.
There are never too many of us running around and i dunno, i feel like we should watch out for eachother.
But also stand in the way of those of us who go to the other extreme
Literally every group out there paints itself as the persecuted few clinging to their craggy outcrop of Masada. Personally I find the pose mawkish.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Y'all are supposed to discuss the book and not the man, otherwise this posting would be better suited for the Lounge or other subforums... but I guess it's inevitable, not least because of the subtitle of the book.

What I really like about the book is that it's down to earth without dumbing things down. Echols calmly and reasonably explains things without any pseudo-romantic claptrap like "secret ancient knowledge" or wordy apologetics - "This is what it is and that's how you do it." No-nonsense and easy to read, fairly traditional content-wise without being old-fashioned, in a simple writing style without literary frills or pretensions. Ideal for beginners starting out on the Western Path, IMHO.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Y'all are supposed to discuss the book and not the man, otherwise this posting would be better suited for the Lounge or other subforums... but I guess it's inevitable, not least because of the subtitle of the book.

What I really like about the book is that it's down to earth without dumbing things down. Echols calmly and reasonably explains things without any pseudo-romantic claptrap like "secret ancient knowledge" or wordy apologetics - "This is what it is and that's how you do it." No-nonsense and easy to read, fairly traditional content-wise without being old-fashioned, in a simple writing style without literary frills or pretensions. Ideal for beginners starting out on the Western Path, IMHO.
In this case, the two are not separable. There's enough magickal dreck out there, it's a potentially inspiring thing to find someone whose practice carried him through a genuine shite-storm. (Assuming that's what in fact took place)

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
What can i say Xenophon. You got me. I suppose this points out an imbalance in me i should work on
I think i might be so involved because i too had to put up with a lot of crap for being a metalhead in a strictly non metal
environment so you caught me projecting.
as far as discussing the book goes there is not much to say, my boy got it right.
And also if we can't believe that a dude straight out of death row isn't genuine about their magick i don't know who would be.
certainly he would need the money, but my empathy makes me want to believe him more than i usually would others.
and to clarify no it's not just about going to jail, we have his whole life on a plate.