• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Decoding alchemical manuscripts

WisdomAddict

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
How can i do this?
I was meditating on them to try to understand their meaning but,after a while
I thought these need keys to understand their real and true meaning behind them.
Any thoughts? On this matter ...

Noth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
There are several different types of ciphers. I'd suggest the Three Books on Occult Philosophy or the Picatrix to start.

These have some of the oldest, and easily recognizable symbols and clues.

However, you'd have to do a deep dive into the history of the manuscript, see what keys were (or more accurately, the ones you can best guess at) used. Lots of people hid little traps in their alchemical texts to foil or harm those who should not be reading the text.

WisdomAddict

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
There are several different types of ciphers. I'd suggest the Three Books on Occult Philosophy or the Picatrix to start.

However, you'd have to do a deep dive into the history of the manuscript, see what keys were (or more accurately, the ones you can best guess at) used. Lots of people hid little traps in their alchemical texts to foil or harm those who should not be reading the text.
Wow three books of occult philosophy is a book that i wanted to read in a long time because ts too good !!
Same as pictarix
I will try them , anyway, its sounds like an essential book in many aspects
Thank you a lot...

WisdomAddict

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards

Thats the same problematic matter
The traps and keys...
I want to figure it out

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
How can i do this?
I was meditating on them to try to understand their meaning but,after a while
I thought these need keys to understand their real and true meaning behind them.
Any thoughts? On this matter ...
There are of course different types of Alchemy texts. Ones that give "practical" recipes, others that are allegories and (lots) that most likely are written to keep people entertained / puzzled. Like how some people deliberately are as vague as they can be in the hope that someone interprets their words (whether it is with the intended meaning or something that boosts their ego..)

I currently am translating some "practical" recipes from an old book.

WisdomAddict

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
There are of course different types of Alchemy texts. Ones that give "practical" recipes, others that are allegories and (lots) that most likely are written to keep people entertained / puzzled. Like how some people deliberately are as vague as they can be in the hope that someone interprets their words (whether it is with the intended meaning or something that boosts their ego..)

I currently am translating some "practical" recipes from an old book.
Can you help me ?
How to tell the difference or doing the same as these "practical" recipes you mentioned,
Or were to begin,
I read that book called alchemy and mysticism few years ago
All alchemy material i have is just forum torrent alchemy folder and i dont think i have future material...

Noth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Thats the same problematic matter
The traps and keys...
I want to figure it out
Luckily the traps are bit easier for us to sus out in our day and age. For example, I wouldn't ingest, or even apply to my skin, anything from any manuscript until I understood the basic chemical components.

I would need to know if something is dangerous, or even just an irritating chemical. I wouldn't want to suffer burns on my skin while using an ancient "beauty cream" because I didn't know enough to be suspicious about the amount of lye I was instructed to add.

For our purposes here, the internet is a good starting tool for discerning what is a dangerous trap.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Can you help me ?
How to tell the difference or doing the same as these "practical" recipes you mentioned,
Or were to begin,
I read that book called alchemy and mysticism few years ago
All alchemy material i have is just forum torrent alchemy folder and i dont think i have future material...
The practical recipes I meant are olde recipes to make silver and gold etc. (Today's science would debunk most of them 😅) More physical rather than spiritual alchemy. For the latter I think your own judgement is the best key.

WisdomAddict

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
The practical recipes I meant are olde recipes to make silver and gold etc. (Today's science would debunk most of them 😅) More physical rather than spiritual alchemy. For the latter I think your own judgement is the best key.
Interesting , thats the same material i have try before,
But my point of view was on spiritual and mental side of it,
I asked an alchemical friend of mine about alchemical keys :
She said , the key is you...
its kinda the same metaphor , you mentioned too

Reaction score
Awards
Luckily the traps are bit easier for us to sus out in our day and age. For example, I wouldn't ingest, or even apply to my skin, anything from any manuscript until I understood the basic chemical components.

I would need to know if something is dangerous, or even just an irritating chemical. I wouldn't want to suffer burns on my skin while using an ancient "beauty cream" because I didn't know enough to be suspicious about the amount of lye I was instructed to add.

For our purposes here, the internet is a good starting tool for discerning what is a dangerous trap.
Ive found a couple recent Botany and Inorganic Chemistry textbooks on ZLibrary, in addition to the astronomy and geology.mineralology books.

Reaction score
Awards

Why not just advise him to take of Pharmacy certification course? That is modern alchemy in action.

Noth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Why not just advise him to take of Pharmacy certification course? That is modern alchemy in action.
That would definitely help OP with recognizing chemicals.

However, I don't know if they have the time or inclination to take a full on certification. For my part it has been far less time consuming to research the chemicals, toxicity, and herblore by itself.

Reaction score
Awards
I have thought of getting one of the Chemistry Kits mades for kids/teens, and doing the experiments diligently and in full comprehension as to what is going on with the experiment at hand and dutifully logging a diary.
Then expanding this to an alchemy experiment.
Hobby shops sometimes carry this as well as basic chem equipment.

Reaction score
Awards
With a diy herb growing kit from a pharmacy, you could harvest and dry after getting accustomed to the plant kingdom hopefully at a level where you are into watching it grow and see whats going on; then after harvest and drying, use those for an alchemy tincture.
Say, lavender or lemongrass.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Buy and read the books of C.G. Jung on Alchemy. That will give you a precious key of fundamental understanding.
Chemical experiments are frustrating without the above knowledge. But do whatever you like.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
A couple of years ago the father of an old German lady i know died and I helped a bit with cleaning out the apartment. I got a lot of his cabinets / closets and a couple of neat books. K.C. Schmieder's "die Geschichte der Alchemie" which is a history of alchemy that gives a lot of info about (in their time) well known alchemists and various accounts that hint at the existence of true transmutations.
Another book is Alchemie & Mystik which is (pretty much) all art from the Hermetic Museum in Amsterdam.
Also a very cool brass candlestick in the shape of a sort of turtle/dragon "alchemical" creature. And a couple of books on Hitler as well 😂
The brother of the old lady was constantly walking in and out with bags full of books that he was taking to his own home. Only got the Hitler books because my ex saw that name and said "those are coming with us!" Lol.
Haven't found any secret compartments in the cabinets. Yet.

Reaction score
Awards
Manly P Hall had a figure or two in Secret Wisdom of all Ages, which can be found fro free download at cia's website.