• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Do you know what they say about witches and broomsticks?

Wildchildx11

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Did you know that witches are symbolized as riding on a broomstick, because back during the witch trials then broomsticks were believed to have served as an applicator to insert hallunicigenetic herbs and ointments into the vagina?

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
That one's a myth - the idea of that "flying" was actually the use of hallucinogens is an idea that people much later come up with to try and explain why someone would believe something like that. The people who persecuted witches believed witches really could fly, not that they used drugs to feel like they were flying.

There's a theory that it was to do with pagan fertility festivals where people would jump over a broomstick, and broomsticks are obviously phallic, but they don't need to be literally inserted to have that symbolic meaning (eg maypoles are phallic, but there's no suggestion anyone thought about inserting them. Same with magicians and their wands and daggers.)

It's quite possibly just for no other reason than that they were a stereotypically female tool: bitches be sweeping. The first person to confess to flying on a broomstick was a man, but then he probably only "confessed" to it because his torturer said something like "and you flew around on a broom, didn't you?" rather than because he spontaneously came up with the idea. You'd need to find out whether myths of flying on brooms existed before that confession (I have no idea if they did or not)

historical witchcraft is one of the topics most likely to have urban myths built up around it, i guess because it's an inherently interesting topic, but yeah be really skeptical of ANY fun facts you hear about it, even if they sound reasonable, there's more disinfo than real info out there about it

Wildchildx11

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
That one's a myth - the idea of that "flying" was actually the use of hallucinogens is an idea that people much later come up with to try and explain why someone would believe something like that. The people who persecuted witches believed witches really could fly, not that they used drugs to feel like they were flying.

There's a theory that it was to do with pagan fertility festivals where people would jump over a broomstick, and broomsticks are obviously phallic, but they don't need to be literally inserted to have that symbolic meaning (eg maypoles are phallic, but there's no suggestion anyone thought about inserting them. Same with magicians and their wands and daggers.)

It's quite possibly just for no other reason than that they were a stereotypically female tool: bitches be sweeping. The first person to confess to flying on a broomstick was a man, but then he probably only "confessed" to it because his torturer said something like "and you flew around on a broom, didn't you?" rather than because he spontaneously came up with the idea. You'd need to find out whether myths of flying on brooms existed before that confession (I have no idea if they did or not)

historical witchcraft is one of the topics most likely to have urban myths built up around it, i guess because it's an inherently interesting topic, but yeah be really skeptical of ANY fun facts you hear about it, even if they sound reasonable, there's more disinfo than real info out there about it
It was a fun fact, but there was a reason why I posted it here. I knew it was probably too good to be true.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards

Yep and this is also where the term ‘Fly Ointment’ or ‘Flying Ointment’ comes from.

The making of a Hallucinogenic Salve or Brew of some sort for purposes of having an Astral Vision.

I’ve never been sure though about how the Broom became linked with Flying.

I’ve usually associated it with Cleaning or cleansing away negative energies.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
You gotta remember that's not what witches/pagans/magicians were saying, it's what witchhunters were saying

It's like the Satanic Panic and people thinking Judas Priest albums had subliminal messages in them if you played them backwards - the persecutors/panickers just make stuff up out of nothing

so it doesn't have to have any logical reason or basis in reality

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Personally, I dislike cryptic or misleading thread titles. "Did you know?" doesn't tell you anything about its topic, it could be about every subject under the sun, and you have to open it in order to find out. It's unfair, in my opinion.

Wildchildx11

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Personally, I dislike cryptic or misleading thread titles. "Did you know?" doesn't tell you anything about its topic, it could be about every subject under the sun, and you have to open it in order to find out. It's unfair, in my opinion.
That is fair, I heard on mysterious podcast where they did an episode on Halloween and the symbolism on Halloween and apperently the folklore of witches riding on a broom came from rumors and accusations of them using it as an applicator for hallunicgens.

You expect me to put effort in shitposting and think of a clever title when I had an interesting fact that I wanted to share? Too much work.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
You expect me to put effort in shitposting and think of a clever title when I had an interesting fact that I wanted to share? Too much work.
Are you serious? "Too much work"? If you are, you're overstretching our patience here. You could have described that factoid of yours in a few simple word. "Too much work", my ass.

Wildchildx11

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Are you serious? "Too much work"???
For a shitpost, yeah. I'm exhausted having to scroll to the lounge subforum, all the way down there.

Now I have to think of a creative title and put effort into a shitpost too?
Post automatically merged:

Are you serious? "Too much work"? If you are, you're overstretching our patience here. You could have described that factoid of yours in a few simple word. "Too much work", my ass.
In all honestly, I noted your concerns and the next shitpost I'll put more effort into the title.

At least I placed it in the lounge subforum.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Also, "shitposting"? Are you being ironic? Did you really think we would tolerate any shitposts here, even in the lounge? Unbelievable.

Wildchildx11

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Also, "shitposting"? Are you being ironic? Did you really think we would tolerate any shitposts here, even in the lounge? Unbelievable.
I thought that the lounge was where shitposting went, that is what SkullTraill told me.

I agreed that I would only shitpost in the lounge, talk with the higher ups about it. I was given wrong information.

I just thought it was an interesting fact, nothing more, nothing less. Too bad I can't edit.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
There. Fixed it for ya! Shitpost away! :devilish: 🍩🧹🐐

@HoldAll , it's okay to have some fun now and then, so give @Wildchildx11 a break.
Alright, I've nothing against the thread's content, I just disliked its title (and I just love your new one!). Just so we're not swamped here by headings like "Wow!", "Amazing!", "Can you believe that?!", etc.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Yep and this is also where the term ‘Fly Ointment’ or ‘Flying Ointment’ comes from.

The making of a Hallucinogenic Salve or Brew of some sort for purposes of having an Astral Vision.

I’ve usually associated it with Cleaning or cleansing away negative energies.
Wow, I guess I somehow learned something from this thread.

I actually didn’t know any of this, even though it’s just a witch hunter gossip/rumor, you’d think I’d have come across this story by now.

😱

On a personal note: argh think of the splinters
Oh god, I can’t help but cringe at the thought.

Save your vaginas, ladies, don’t do drugs (at least use a condom)

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards

Did witches believe they could fly? If one uses hallucnogenics, belief in flying scarcely seems unlikely. The belief in flight seems pretty common. Odin's Runesong sings, "A tenth galdr I know when witches I see/ At play up in the air..."

Moongarm71

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Knowing Gi Joe GIF by MOODMAN

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Did witches believe they could fly? If one uses hallucnogenics, belief in flying scarcely seems unlikely. The belief in flight seems pretty common. Odin's Runesong sings, "A tenth galdr I know when witches I see/ At play up in the air..."
I don't think so

Authorities at the time didn't really believe it

There's a whole thing with the witch trials, where, for the most part, the authorities (church and state) were skeptical of the powers attributed to witchcraft and generally tried to apply a moderating hand. Torture of suspected witches was frowned on, for eg, but they couldn't always stop it. (The church was much more concerned with heresy, and too much belief in witchcraft - and witchhunters as saviours - was perceived as more heretical and pagan than the witchcraft itself. A lady turning her neighbour's butter rancid is not really a threat to the power structure of the church.) In England, the vast majority of accused witches were acquitted if they could get before a magistrate, because there needed to be some proof (showing a real chain of cause and effect, if a magical one, between the accused actions and the damage done), and hearsay wasn't enough evidence.

(The witch trial mythos doesn't fit the reality very well)

But the justice system wasn't strongly centralised - lots of places could wait many many months before the assizes (travelling magistrate/courts) came their way. So the places where witch trials got really out of hand tended to be rural and distant from the courts. Church scholars generally didn't believe witches could fly, but villagers out in the sticks might have.