• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Do you prefer simple rituals or elaborate ones?

jdfa

Visitor
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
I’m curious what people here have found works better for them over time. Do you tend to get better results from simple workings with only a few elements, or from more elaborate rituals with specific tools, correspondences, timing, etc.? I’ve been leaning toward keeping things fairly simple lately.
 

dzb10035

Zealot
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Messages
106
Reaction score
201
Awards
1
There isn't really a one size fits all to this. There are people who have amazing results with simple visualisation or sigils and then there are those who have powerful experiences with the most complex grimoire / traditional rituals. I don't think anyone can really reduce effectiveness to simplicity or complexity in magick because in the end, it is about how the individual vibes with what they are doing. There are people who thrive in simplicity and will be better suited to get results with those types of practices. Then there are people who require 100 steps in a ritual, with every correspondence accounted for, every word memorised and every piece of theory absorbed.

For me, I tend more to the complex side of things, but recently I have learned to embrace simplicity in magical practice more, especially as my mundane life has become more intense. I always enjoyed having a framework to bend something around and I always preferred having a "theory" as to why something works in magick. So things like evocation and spirit based magick work nicely for me because there are entire systems built around such things, with all the theory and framework I could ever need in order to tweak my magick. But as I said, I learned that powerful results can be achieved with simpler practices than evocation such as mantric magick or verbal spells, mixed with powerful intention and focus. These forms of magick have recently produced great effects for me and, being perfectly honest, I know very little about those spells in terms of theory and background. They are like black boxes to me and I have to force myself to accept that fact, but yet they work without all the complexity. So in this sense, I see both sides of the equation now.

But I think the key lies in the individual and how capable they are of bringing focus, clarity, energy, and intention into the ritual. Something done with powerful concentration, clear intention, and a strong desire will be more effective than the opposite in any ritual, simple or complex. Things like meditation, energy training, and internal work are always going to help the inner dimension of magick, which powers the outer dimension of it. If anything, one could argue that complex ritual is partly a way to bring focus, clarity, and energy into intention in order to produce a magical effect. If you look at it like that, then simple rituals are actually the harder ones to carry out effectively than complex.

But I digress. Both have their uses and I use both in my eclectic way of working. I tend to use simpler rituals for simple intentions and complex rituals for more complex results. I think this sort of analogous way of doing things is quite effective (though people feel free to disagree). A simple practice, such as mantric magick or visusalisation, would require an immense amount of focus in order to be used with a complex intention. A complex ritual, such an evocation based one, gives you a lot more surface and layers to express a complex intention (e.g. think a pact). But a complex ritual with a simple intention seems almost like waste of energy in some cases. But again, people can vary on this.

For me, taking an engineering perspective is a nice way to look at this. There isn't a point in debating simple vs complex, unless you want to debate it. For real results and effectiveness, use the tool that works for your situation. Test and experiment to see which ones work for you and refine your approach.
 

Nembra

Acolyte
Joined
Jul 28, 2026
Messages
429
Reaction score
381
Awards
5
The complexity is a factor by itself, an "energy" as some would perhaps call it. Some acts can be fueled by simplicity, some others by convolution.
 

NorthLondonFox

Visitor
Joined
Aug 18, 2024
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Complex rituals with a group can help access the group mind/shared trance state, but in general simple is just as good, especially when working alone
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
280
Reaction score
321
Awards
5
I think if a more complex ritual can add more symbolic meaning, simplicity can assist focus the goal.
As I see it, it's more important to look at if each element truly offers something than how much you include. //
 

Janus

Zealot
Joined
May 13, 2023
Messages
222
Reaction score
168
Awards
2
I personally believe in simple rituals that are direct and straight to the point. The problem people have is the belief that if it's too simple it will not work, and end up opting for more long winded type rituals.
 

VacantOverlay

Visitor
Joined
Jul 30, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
I've always found it to be a bit of a balancing act. Complex enough to be meaningful and feel like something was accomplished, but simple enough where it doesn't feel like a chore.
 

Splay31

Neophyte
Joined
Jul 20, 2022
Messages
7
Reaction score
8
I like them to be more simple most of the time. It seems to work better that way.
 

haplo

Neophyte
Joined
Sep 8, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
6
For me it depends on a lot of factors;
Who am I working with (alone/group/spirits/deities/etc)
What is the goal of the working
What kind of ritual/magic do I want to do
What is my own energy level/what is my current mode, what would fit my brain best at this moment
The moment/location (and how much time I have to prepare)
Supplies at hand or time/money available to get them

Tldr; it depends
 

Denise13

Apprentice
Joined
Feb 17, 2026
Messages
86
Reaction score
103
I like them fairly simple. Opening/body/closing.

I've participated in groups where the opening took stupid amounts of time to get through to the point of boredom. In my own practice, it's very short and simple.
 

r4zorenigma

Zealot
Joined
Sep 10, 2026
Messages
132
Reaction score
119
Awards
1
Depends on what i'm trying to accomplish. You'll realize and understand the stronger your understanding of magickal aspects and elements and the stronger your magickal ability becomes, you can accomplish alot with little effort.. Read my signature.. that's why I mention all you need is your mind and spirit... Ofc, depending on the individual, some of us have better abilities/faculties for certain things over others. ie: in football, some are better at throwing/passing the ball, some are better at running with it and some are better at catching it.. Regardless, magickal power has alot to do with creative imagination and belief mixed with great understanding of corresponding principles and elements.
 

snoxsnox

Visitor
Joined
Dec 4, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I usually like keeping it formal, rather than complicated. I assume it's mostly because it helps me keep my mind focused on what I'm doing.
 

levi777

Apprentice
Joined
Sep 23, 2026
Messages
52
Reaction score
18
Simple rituals, in the old traditional way, no changes at all!
 

Angelkesfarl

Disciple
Joined
Nov 18, 2025
Messages
603
Reaction score
635
Awards
9
Rituals: Simple rituals are only effective in straightforward practices, such as observing a planetary hour to write an amulet, talisman, or magic square, then fumigating it and placing it in its active state.

Or a ritual like connecting with local spirits—“we call them the guardians of places”—which is continuous and straightforward.

However, when it comes to summoning jinn kings or demons, or subduing a rebellious demon or a powerful jinn, they will be of no use...

I respect intellectual rituals, but they are merely internal discourse and attempts to strengthen your aura or charge you with a specific type of energy—whatever it may be. While this is important, it is still a ritual; your recitation and mastery of it enable you to perform the work in a lawful manner that the spirits understand and agree with. Here, you are carrying out the work correctly. Therefore, complex rituals and simple rituals are two sides of the same coin called “I performed the ritual and succeeded.”
 
Top