• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Does the material of the seal lamen matter?

Everyone's got one.

Baal

Bigus Dikus
Reaction score
Most of all I want to summon Baal, however according to the lesser key of Solomon his seal must be of gold. That is quite expensive and I can only acquire his seal in steel at this time. I would guess it does but do you think having the lamen in a different metal will interfere with my success? This applies to other spirits aswell, maybe you have some experience.

Reaction score
Awards
Most of all I want to summon Baal, however according to the lesser key of Solomon his seal must be of gold. That is quite expensive and I can only acquire his seal in steel at this time. I would guess it does but do you think having the lamen in a different metal will interfere with my success? This applies to other spirits aswell, maybe you have some experience.
You may want to check out John King’s Imperial Arts. If I remember correctly his take was that the material was more important than even some of the details from the seals. But then again he was a jeweler so yeah…

I know different practitioners who have had various success with replacing the medals with ones who have similar properties or using gold plated seals.

In my experiences it’s usually better to think of conjurations/magic like a scale. You need enough on your side to offset the other side’s inertia of the status quo continuing (nothing happening). And there are different levels of “success” in these operations. So the more you want to happen usually requires more “weights” on your side of the scale. That being said when it comes to safety you probably should error on the side of caution.

Now the interesting (unknown) part is the magician themselves are part of that equation (an experienced practitioner/someone who has done a lot of work on themselves for instance can usually get it done with less). So you could think of yourself as standing on that scale as well, how much weight you add to your side is very practitioner specific.

All that to say, no one can tell you for sure. There are a lot of unknowns in these operations but in general stay as faithful to the text as you can. Put real thought/research into any replacements/changes and error on the side of going over the top in other areas of the operation to make up for any short comings (not having 24 carat gold).

Just some thoughts.

-Eld

Reaction score
Awards
The OP could go with Copper, close to Gold on the tree. At each Sephira the spirits are associated with a particular metal. Karlsson breaks it down in his appendix to Qabalah, Qlippoth and Goetic Magic. DuQuette also refers for each of the 72 with their respective ruling planet and therefore metal.
Or you could fake it til ya make it.
Gold plated steel or whatnot.
Gold leaf/paint.
Post automatically merged:

I also hear he likes coffee scented candles.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
You can make it out of paper and it will work if you think it will.

Baal

Bigus Dikus
Reaction score
I recently read, that if you cannot make a magical ring out of paper, you cannot make one of gold. So I feel this applies here aswell. thanks for everybody answer!