• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion Donald Tyson - Kinesic Magic: Channeling Energy with Postures & Gestures

Talk about a book(s)

BragR

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I have read this book and I am still trying to add "mudras" into practice. (LBRP, LHRP...). I didn`t go into it any deeper.
The book came out in 2020. It is not very well explained visually.
Has anyone been practicing these forms of rituals for a long time (at least 6 months)?
What is the source? There are no references in the book.
There are no videos and personal reviews around. Recently, FF mentioned something short in his video.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I only just started reading it, so I'll be sure to share any observations I have as I go through it. It would be interesting to know what others have experienced as the concept that the author describes is intriguing. In a way it reminds me of Josephine McCarthy's view of doing magic where and when you need it. Of course, there will be critics of any method which deviates from ancient grimoire magic. The author of The Abramelin had criticism for various forms of magic in his day, so critics have always been among us. I would not expect results to manifest without a great deal of practice over time, just as I wouldn't expect to reap benefits in only a month of learning one of the many Tai Chi forms.

Jackson

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
While I wouldn't personally recognize most of it, I think some of it starts as it says it does. In yogic influences. You can find some very similar gestures at your local / online Sahaja yoga group.
Post automatically merged:

I'm not sure what information anyone would be looking for. The "earth gesture" for instance consists of palmed fists. In my test this makes a circuit in my arm, which then becomes an alternating current, which then begins percolating a cool energy top-down until it hits a block.
Post automatically merged:

Of course, I didn't do it correctly this time.

Last edited:

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I admit that I haven't read the book, but when it came out I saw some of the pages with the illustrations of the positions for the Zodiac signs (if I recall correctly..). To me this is similar to any gesture or stance or assuming of a Godform or whatever. If you accept the idea that it helps you "become" that energy then by all means, incorporate it into your rituals.

Jackson

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Since I am not a magical expert I am puzzled by the combination of purported gestures and visualizations. When I tried the "earth gesture" more correctly this time, it tucks the thumb in between the fingers. It is suggested that one would then imagine a circulation of energy, and I can only assume that the system relies more on... the magician in this case.

Suffice to say, I wouldn't interpret such a gesture by itself to be conducive to channeling energy by more... natural means, such as by someone more marginally familiar with something like Qigong or Robert Bruce's system. Such a gesture is stifling. Imagine trying to channel energy through a closed fist with only your thumb as antenna. I find it nauseous, mostly a good way get a field "stuck".

But I suppose it is supposed to be heavy energy, it might accomplish that, I would prefer not to work with this gesture.

off_the_edge

Neophyte
Reaction score
It is a nice read.
Though, it is an instructional read, therefore, it is better to read it in accordance to your practices.
Unless, you were to read it, and then channel the elements, planetary and zodiac energies in the one shebang, one after the other. Though that is a haughty goal. Even if you get one energy out of any of those 3 categories, you are doing well. Such as channelling Venusian vibes, from the planetary gestures.

It is best to incorporate them within your practice. Which depends on, what exactly is your practice?
A mudra/hand-gesture has as much power as you give it. There is no inherent hand-sign that as an innate correspondence with anything.
It is up to us to provide it that significance.

I am sure we are all aware of different more mundane mudras that have an effect on us.
The middle finger being the classic, or even the thumbs up conveys a certain feeling that is both given out and received by people.
One of the strongest of the mudras would have been the Seig-Hail salute. A true power-gesture.

I have been using the element hand gestures that he shows.
They make sense to me, and were well chosen.

It is good to practice the following with both hands joined and hands apart. For the joining of the hands - the hand gesture touch differently for each of the hand gestures. The higher up you go, the lighter the gesture and with less touching between the hands.

Earth - fist closed - it is a firm gesture. It is a grounding hand-position
Water - two fingers cupped- it has nice correspondence with the two raised fingers that Christ is depicted with ( and you have the auld Ichthys - age of Pieces).
Air - hmmm. I am not too certain to comment on this, yet.
Fire - also not sure, ha. - I do have notions on air & fire gesture - but for the moment, not worth being articulated.
Spirit - it is the index finger pointing up with the thumb - it is of one point ascending upwards

Regardless of these notions of the hand gestures, you really must stick to a hand-gesture when working with a certain type of energy. You provide it with meaning/association.

Another nice part of the book, is his channelling positions.
Personally, if I get to a point where energy manipulation isn't a fragment of imagination and it does have some correlation with either myself or the environment, it would be nice to work out his channelling poses.
They are quite nice. Still, how to integrate them respectively?
If I do a certain pose, can it have an effect on me?
The answer is yes. Prayer/accumulation can be done through the body. The classical Indian yogis perfected this.

All that said, I am still only integrating these gestures only relatively recently (3 months now)
So let me come back to this post in 3-5 years and see what I had just said, holds merit.

All said and done, hats off to Tyson. Another good, easy-read, straightforward book helping us along the way.

What is the source? There are no references in the book.
There are no videos and personal reviews around. Recently, FF mentioned something short in his video.
For the question, where is the source?
Are you enquiring where did Tyson get these gestures from?

I suppose that is for Tyson to know and you to find out.

Djnenas

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I have the book sitting on my bookshelf. I just haven't found the right state of mind for it. But i soon will:giggle:

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I love some of Tyson's stuff. But looking at the scale of his corpus, I begin to nurse suspicions he is more a publishing concern than an occultist seeking to share wisdom. He's scarcely unique that way, still it gives pause.