• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Dying In Dreams

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Hello all,

lately I have had a lot of my unconscious dreams revolving around my mortality.

Last night I dreamt about being shot in the head, and somehow did not wake up once I had died but became a spectator in the dream, looked at my dead body, looked at my family, and then went outside and looked at the world,

noticing that despite my death life goes on as normal, it was a very humbling experience.

has anyone else experienced death in their dreams?

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I usually have woken up before the process was complete though. A number of years back I had one that really stuck with me. I was in a fight with someone in the front seat of a car and my assailant stabbed me through the temple with a knife. I was upset - it was my own knife! The blade slid deeper and the man acted reassuringly towards me. I felt more calm than distressed, as there was no pain in the dream. My vision began to darken, and there was a very peculiar sensation of all the cells in my body flying apart in different directions, reminiscent of velcro being violently undone. This caused some distress. It felt real, but I could not reverse the process. I lost awareness, and I have trouble finding words to describe the profundity of the whole thing.

Upon waking I was unsettled and slightly disoriented. Not only was it a disturbing experience, but I didn't wake up immediately after like usual. How much time had passed? Was this waking life real?

I haven't yet found (or really looked) for any answers about what it means. It made me a little more cautious, however, about exploring the line between life and death.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I usually have woken up before the process was complete though. A number of years back I had one that really stuck with me. I was in a fight with someone in the front seat of a car and my assailant stabbed me through the temple with a knife. I was upset - it was my own knife! The blade slid deeper and the man acted reassuringly towards me. I felt more calm than distressed, as there was no pain in the dream. My vision began to darken, and there was a very peculiar sensation of all the cells in my body flying apart in different directions, reminiscent of velcro being violently undone. This caused some distress. It felt real, but I could not reverse the process. I lost awareness, and I have trouble finding words to describe the profundity of the whole thing.

Upon waking I was unsettled and slightly disoriented. Not only was it a disturbing experience, but I didn't wake up immediately after like usual. How much time had passed? Was this waking life real?

I haven't yet found (or really looked) for any answers about what it means. It made me a little more cautious, however, about exploring the line between life and death.
Very interesting, there’s definitely something symbolic to be said about being slain with your own weapon…

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Hello all,

Last night I dreamt about being shot in the head, and somehow did not wake up once I had died but became a spectator in the dream, looked at my dead body, looked at my family, and then went outside and looked at the world,

noticing that despite my death life goes on as normal, it was a very humbling experience.

In a manner of speaking.

Most times it was the classic "falling from a sudden height", which also meant that when I "hit the ground" was when I would wake up.
It made me a little more cautious, however, about exploring the line between life and death.
I remember reading about certain practices(mostly eastern ones) that can make you feel the experience of dying without actually dying, and while the idea of doing so seems interesting from a phenomenological standpoint, I must confess that I myself don't feel like I would ever be in a good enough mindset to ever try something that dangerous.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I remember one dream, where I was on a store and this guy wanted to kill me. So I began to fight and try to stop this guy who happened to be black. Anyway, I couldn't seem to force him out of my way. All of a sudden, he placed my face on this machine. And as he hold my face in front of the machine. This electric knife pops out of the machine and goes straight to my face. I felt a slight pain like a pinch but it was fine. Everything went black and I woke up from that. I was mad that I let some dude kill me.

It was one heck of a dream. I thought I actually died.

heavysm

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I have dealt with morbid death, and direct dying in dreams - where it even feels as if I accidentally went beyond dying, but possibly I was just a floating spirit just settled there, or something like that.

For maybe 3 years I have directly dealt with heavy dreams of death, and morbid themes and horrific ideas that were vivid and deep enough for me to remember. This directly has to happen when I evolve or push my magick a bit hardcore, or deeper, and I get deathly or extreme thoughts or ideas, and deeper than life dreams, of deathly situations and fighting and deep dream deathly plots that I have to figure out...or else things will not turn out so right, whatsoever.

I know you did not ask for a way to fix, or resolve this but it can be helped to focus on astral mind, and other forms of meditation or even greater thinking control, because that can directly help with the death ideas in the dream state. But yes...I have dealt with many gory or hardcore death, and dying themes, in my dreams - including deeply implied infinite falling to my death, from a high cliff mountain side, getting attacked by a very bad person in public...implied to death dealing conclusions, and I have dealt with firing squads aiming at me in different ways.

These dreams might genuinely suck, but at least we live onwards. I was deeply curious why this was happening years ago, and these sorts of death dreams still get to me...on a common basis. The trick though, at least for myself - is to deal with it through my meditations and to keep my head cleared up, and sorted out for long term.

Boswellia

Neophyte
Reaction score
I'm not sure if mine was a dream or a memory (past life). In my dream, I did not walk around like you did (which is very cool) but I did notice that the pain and fear stopped once I was dead.

I remember you saying that you wanted to have an OBE. Maybe your psyche was trying to help you experience that? That's the ultimate OBE, isn't it? I'm also a fan of Jung and believe dreams can have a symbolic meaning as well. So, I spend a lot of time with dreams I find significant and often end up discovering layers of interpretation that are meaningful.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
did not wake up once I had died but became a spectator in the dream,

Many years ago I dreamed I was in a room taking up the top of a 6 sided tower in northern Italy. The room had a timber floor heavily worn.

There was a bed in the room and three people standing looking at the dead man in the room. I recognized them from this life: my father, mother and sister. One said: He so loved this room.

And the room had a beautiful view in all directions over the valley to the surrounding hills

I was the one in the bed but my view point was from behind what were my wife and two children at that time.

That dream/experience was important for me as it enabled my later recognition of the group soul to which I belonged - and thereby gave me a sense of belonging that I had not had up to that point in this incarnation

Reaction score
Awards
I've had two OOBEs and a strange dream.
One was in Chicago, working through Drawing Down the Moon and other witchcraft books at the time. I laid down to go to sleep and felt someone sit on the futon I laid down on. I proceeded to observe and felt my chest start rocking. I was concerned it was a seizure for a split second and it stopped.
Decades later.
I foolishly tried to summon Lilith for riches and to set a fear at rest or reverse it.
One night I have a dream where I'm walking for wanna dungeon like hallway. Very old walls. Well worn. But stable. A hooded figure sits in front of a door on a stone. Does not look at me and I'm a good ten feet away. In front is an arch with a steel bolted door. Earthen or gray colored robe. I hack off and start to wake feeling my chest cease rocking.
The only flight dream I've ever had, was where I was driving a hovercraft, two figures in back I can't see. A spaceman is riding shotgun, staring ahead. It's a 1950s type suit. I say "where to chief?" The space cat looks at me, galaxies in its blue eyes. Greyish white cat in the spacesuit.
I've had a dream paralysis where a hideous night hag sat on my chest. Out of nowhere with that one. Left me shaking for hours though after waking.
Post automatically merged:

Not once in those dreams did I die, but I had death nightmares sent to me by somebody at a difficult time.

Amadan

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Hello all,

Oh man, I've been dying in my dreams for as far back as I can remember. Even by suicide a few times. It's always weird too, no matter how often it happens.

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: Dying In Dreams
SUBTOPICS: A question of Understanding.
※→ et al,

𓅂 Dreams - and what they seem to be, are theoretically about soft-science questions; even metaphysical questions. Yes, a vast majority of people have had dreams. And a vast majority of people know that most dream activities are detectable through electronic radiological and magnetic resonance means. (ie dreams are real) But science cannot explain how dreams are created neurologically. Dreams cannot be captured and then reconstructed. And it is very rare that two people have the "exact" same dream.
Oh man, I've been dying in my dreams for as far back as I can remember. Even by suicide a few times. It's always weird too, no matter how often it happens.
Hello all,

(COMMENT)

Dreams are just as easily about a real event as they can be about fantasy. I have observed my cat sleeping. And I have observed REM in my cat. A dream, much like a supernatural entity or event, is really among the unexplained.

Wives' Tales (superstitious notions) like the claim that if you die in your dream, you will not wake (actual death will follow) is about faith in the source of that false knowledge.

Below are six tidbits (about dreams) that I thought some of you might find interesting. They all come from reputable sources.

(QUICK REFERENCES - EXTRACTS)

◈ Absent State:
A vacant, dreamlike state of detachment that may occur in complex partial seizures.
SOURCE: APA Dictionary of Psychology, p 3

◈ AIM Model: a model proposing that various states of consciousness may be defined and differentiated according to their position on three axes of brain activity: (a) Activation—how active is the brain when one is awake, in NREM sleep, or in rem sleep, as measured by electroencephalography?; (b) Input–Output gating—how is information that is processed by the brain during each phase in the sleep–wake cycle generated, via external sensory input (as in external stimuli during waking) or internally (as in dreams)?; and (c) Modulation—which neurochemical modulatory system is predominant during each phase, the aminergic or the cholinergic?
SOURCE: APA Dictionary of Psychology, p 34

◈ Altered State of Consciousness (ASC): A state of psychological functioning that is significantly different from that experienced in ordinary states of consciousness. Reports of the experience of ASCs are highly subjective, but the phenomenon is susceptible to some degree of empirical study. It tends to be characterized by altered levels of self-awareness, affect, reality testing, orientation to time and place, wakefulness, responsiveness to external stimuli, or memorability, or by a sense of ecstasy, boundlessness, or unity with the universe. ASCs may result from changes in neurobiological functioning due to oxygen depletion or psychoactive drug use;
SOURCE: APA Dictionary of Psychology, p 42

◈ Anomalous Experience: Any of a variety of experiences that appear to be inconsistent with the usually accepted explanations of reality. Examples include out-of-body experiences (OBE), mystical experiences, lucid dreaming synesthesia. See also Altered State of Consciousness (ASC)(supra)
SOURCE
: APA Dictionary of Psychology, p 59

◈ Autism: (1) Thought and fantasy determined entirely by the person’s needs and wishes and not constrained by reality in any way. Daydreams are autistic,
SOURCE: Dictionary of Psychology and Applied Science, Copyright © 2009, New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers, Published by New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers, p 38

◈ Dream: Mental activity during sleep in which thoughts, emotions, and images are experienced as though real. It is associated with rapid eye movement (REM) sleep.
SOURCE: Dictionary of Psychology and Applied Science, Copyright © 2009, New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers, Published by New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers, p 123

◈ Dreamy State: An altered state of consciousness, likened to a dream situation, that develops suddenly and from which the patient usually recovers within a few minutes.
SOURCE: Dictionary of Psychology and Applied Science, Copyright © 2009, New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers, Published by New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers, p 124

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Most Respectfully,
R

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Hello all,

Yes, several times. Or rather, I dreamt I experienced death. Like you, I noted that life went one without too great a hitch. I did not really find that humbling. I've been on jobs where people were killed. (Legal jobs, don't worry.) Generally, folks coped pretty well in no more than 72 hours. Actually that's good news. According to some traditions, excessive mourning by others can trap one's spirit.