• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Elective Curses

Everyone's got one.

belowkeys

Visitor
Reaction score
I seldom see people talk about elective curses and feel like they’re extremely underutilized in general practice.

An elective curse is a curse that someone electively places on themselves, it may have potentially negative drawbacks but also has a window of activation to attain the practitioners desires of overall empowerment to the user. I.e. the curse may come with social consequences or ridicule but draws nearer the practitioners larger goals. I feel like it’s an understandable sacrifice that some might be interested in or willing to take.

Magically affected lycanthropy (such as taking the form of or embodying the spirit of a wolf with the use of magical objects) could be considered an example of an elective curse, someone who chooses to take the form of a wolf understanding the stigma and drawbacks associated, but with empowerment to themselves derived from it, especially when we look at historical magical theriomorphs as a form of venerated ancestor work.

I feel like there are many historical instances of the use of elective curses but not a lot of conversations generated around them. Generally when I have seen people ask about cursing themselves people will say it’s impossible or ill-advised and no one talks about the potential applications of elective curses. I tend to think this is a bit unimaginative personally.

BloodOfBakula

Neophyte
Reaction score
Unless you're working towards being a Skinwalker, I don't see the appeal.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Even those that do not believe in karma or gravity, may know the expression:

What goes around comes around.

Personally I try to avoid creating circular problems

And I have discovered that my beliefs do not change Reality

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I seldom see people talk about elective curses and feel like they’re extremely underutilized in general practice.

An elective curse is a curse that someone electively places on themselves, it may have potentially negative drawbacks but also has a window of activation to attain the practitioners desires of overall empowerment to the user. I.e. the curse may come with social consequences or ridicule but draws nearer the practitioners larger goals. I feel like it’s an understandable sacrifice that some might be interested in or willing to take.

Magically affected lycanthropy (such as taking the form of or embodying the spirit of a wolf with the use of magical objects) could be considered an example of an elective curse, someone who chooses to take the form of a wolf understanding the stigma and drawbacks associated, but with empowerment to themselves derived from it, especially when we look at historical magical theriomorphs as a form of venerated ancestor work.

I feel like there are many historical instances of the use of elective curses but not a lot of conversations generated around them. Generally when I have seen people ask about cursing themselves people will say it’s impossible or ill-advised and no one talks about the potential applications of elective curses. I tend to think this is a bit unimaginative personally.

So what do you want to share about these curses then?