• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Exploding Head Syndrome

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Presumably most members here are magic practitioners or at least are otherwise students of the occult, I’m curious how many of you might suffer from this condition:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I’ve suffered from it my entire life and I have some metaphysical theories related to it, the only way to substantiate these theories is data from other people.

Anyway, I’d love to read your input and experiences.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
When asleep it is normal to be out of the physical body and therefore operating in astral or mental bodies and sometimes etheric.

The process of waking involves the etheric body re-immersing in the physical. There is opportunity for etheric and astral sounds to be recorded by the brain consciousness. Hence a sound may be heard that does not relate to the physical context.

I recall one dream where I was in a church pew and there was a female behind me wrestling me in a headlock. I heard her saying to her friend: It is no good - I can't wake him.

So in the dream I decided I should wake up and did immediately. There were no females in my room. I recall the scene well, indicating that I have a brain record of it.

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
The only time I've encountered this is as a side-effect of significant long-term use of psychedelics.
It's one of a group of things we used to call it 'mushroom madness', and took it as a sign that you needed to take a break, or quit completely.

Having had a look at that wiki, I'm frankly surprised that no-one has proposed some kind of tryptamine imbalance as a potential cause - with auditory & visual hallucinations coupled with emotional disturbance & phantom physical sensations, that would seem to me to be a more obvious underlying neurochemical cause than some of the other proposed mechanisms.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Presumably most members here are magic practitioners or at least are otherwise students of the occult, I’m curious how many of you might suffer from this condition:

I’ve suffered from it my entire life and I have some metaphysical theories related to it, the only way to substantiate these theories is data from other people.

I’ve never heard of this it was an interesting read. I experience auditory hallucinations when falling asleep especially in the hypnagogic stage, I thought everybody did though…

Reaction score
Awards

Personally I've experienced this, absent seizures, petit and grand mal seizures.
Most of my seizures occur when I'm awake, though I have had some near falling asleep or waking up. Interesting.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I've also experienced things sort of like this but I'm not sure if it's exactly the condition you are talking about.

I've heard something like a Loud 'woosh' sound before when I had gone without sleep for a long time and/or used some Hallucinatory Party Favors that kept me up and then when I finally crashed I would kind of be between being awake or falling asleep and hear a jolting loud sound that kind of startled me for a bit and then I fell asleep.

The best way I can describe it is it was like the Auditory equivalent of when you feel like you are falling from a height and it startles you awake briefly.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Not sure if this is similar. At times when I try to get into sleep paralysis I will get these "shocks". Not the leg that suddenly decides to kick, but more like a feeling, a "rush" through my head, that snaps me out it. This never happens only once, but keeps going every time I slip into it untill I give up. It's almost like it wants to scare you of falling asleep. Definitely not every night.
The auditory and visual hallucinations that @Lemongrass00 mentions are common (to me) and always fun.

Challis

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Very interesting. Seems like science trying to keep up with what many people found quite normal after practicing the occult. Quite used to what I feel is my HGA. An upper realm, celestial voice that is lovely to hear, and always has advice for me.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
typically only an imaginary radio playing very quietly
Many years ago I used to wake up hearing music - sometimes symphonic - but I could never recognize the composer.

Then when I stood very quietly sometimes I would hear music in the background.

It looks now as if it were astral clairaudience.

Currently I often hear a whistle in one ear but not the other - for example while walking through automatic doors or out in nature. That might be etheric clairaudience

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I am familiar with tinnitus but when I reduced my EMR exposure the tinnitus became slight.

Still, I often hear a sharp 1 second whistle in one ear and not in another. That can happen anywhere.

Usually I only have a low level whistle that gets intense in forests but not in civilization

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I am familiar with tinnitus but when I reduced my EMR exposure the tinnitus became slight.

Still, I often hear a sharp 1 second whistle in one ear and not in another. That can happen anywhere.

Usually I only have a low level whistle that gets intense in forests but not in civilization

Is it painful or have you had any medical testing done?

It might be something that needs to be ruled out medically.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
It does not seem to be a medical issue. It may be better to consider that the human is developing etheric senses.

Hence the loud whistling in the forests

Reaction score
Awards
I disagree. Physical causes should always be ruled out.
Example:
I have heart problems in terms of rapid heartbeat or irregular heartbeat. Let's say it happens when I first lie down on my bed. Someone may recommend moving furniture, but I go to the dentist and find out my teeth and roots are jacked. Now we know in this day and age the teeth and gums and roots are somehow linked to heart health.
Conclusion: take physical health seriously.
Another example:
I have tinnitus in my left ear and reduced hearing in my left ear. Whether or not it decreases in a forest has nothing to do with someone blowing an air horn in my left ear in the late 90s.
Conclusion: the airhorn was the most likely cause for my tinnitus.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I've experienced this once in my life. I was laying in bed falling asleep when there was a sudden "CRACK!", like a strongman had snapped a 2x4 over his knee. I sat bolt upright at the same time, then forcefully laid back down the next second. I'm no longer sure if the sit-up was real, hallucinated at the time, or a false part of this old memory.

Not sure if this is similar. At times when I try to get into sleep paralysis I will get these "shocks". Not the leg that suddenly decides to kick, but more like a feeling, a "rush" through my head, that snaps me out it. This never happens only once, but keeps going every time I slip into it untill I give up. It's almost like it wants to scare you of falling asleep. Definitely not every night.
The auditory and visual hallucinations that @Lemongrass00 mentions are common (to me) and always fun.

I've had something similar to this before as well. Not consistent, and not usually while falling asleep, but always while laying down. It's a pleasurable sensation that moves in a wave, and I feel it especially at my eyelids. When it occurs I'm able to control it to some degree, intensifying or relaxing it at will, but it seems to come and go of its own accord. As far as I can tell there's been no purpose or harm to what I experience. Just something that happens now and then.