• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Fasting, strict diets, ritual

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Okay, since apparently I've seen this in a couple of threads, I feel like a discussion should be had.

I for one have fasted for days previously while meditating, and will not discount the benefit of fasting, dietary restrictions, etc. but am curious as to what other people think - in a general sense - and what actual evidence backs it up.

I've been vegan, keto, organic, and strict dietary, and have seen personal changes in the way I think - and act - and I've seen the evidence for it via changes in the gut biomes.

But how do you include fasting, dietary restrictions, or even short stints of diets in your practice?

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I still have candy in my cupboards and fridge that has been there for over a year. Every time I see it I think "no". It's a small thing but I see it as working on willpower.
Other than that, I just commented on another thread 🤣 Eating fresh food makes me feel better physically and mentally.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I still have candy in my cupboards and fridge that has been there for over a year. Every time I see it I think "no". It's a small thing but I see it as working on willpower.
Other than that, I just commented on another thread 🤣 Eating fresh food makes me feel better physically and mentally.
Also, bringing up the thing you mentioned in the other thread about "not liking cooked veggies", what do you think about mushrooms - cooked or raw

TheMouse

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I've been in a heavy hermit period for about 10 months to do deep shadow work and define and refine my practices etc etc etc . . . i live alone in the woods and dont have to interact in person with other humans except for going to the grocery store every couple of weeks . . . . .

at the beginning of this process i cut out all refined sugar and processed foods . . that's been a general principle in my diet for a few years . . . i went vegetarian for about 7 months and almost fully vegan for a couple months . . . i didnt do any extended fasts but there were certainly stretches of time when food didnt really occur to me . . . . in the final stages of getting to the core of my shadow work, i cut out coffee and all caffeine which was surprisingly easy after a lifetime of coffee with very few breaks . . . it just sort of fell away one day . . . . . .

i just started introducing some meat back into my diet a few days ago . . . . i didnt plan any of these phases, they just sort of happened . . . as i got into intense meditation and shadow work i found that meat was just Too LOUD in my system . . i couldnt fully hear and feel the subtle energies i needed to to do the work i wanted to do . . . for a while even eggs were too loud . . i could Feel the energy of the chicken embryo . . . . . none of this has ever been a moral issue . . . it's just . . . . loud . in my body mind spirit . . . . . reintroducing meat has been wonderfully energizing and Delicious (!!!) but also a bit disruptive to my energetic system . . in a good way . . as i energetically rebuild and recalibrate to new practices and patterns . . . . . so i guess . . . in short . . . . . limited food has helped me with unwinding and purifying . . . . and now more robust food is helping me with gathering and building . . . . . . . . .

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Also, bringing up the thing you mentioned in the other thread about "not liking cooked veggies", what do you think about mushrooms - cooked or raw
As far as I know raw mushrooms are poisonous or at least not super healthy, and cooked I really dislike the texture. Occasionally I take some of those "special" dried ones though 😉

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I like eating things that were alive once, it makes me happy 🦉

I have noticed that the pain from fasting can be a meditative focus, but pain in general can be. I don't imagine outside of basic health-science diet would effect anything. Religiously I understand it as a pretty good way to show higher powers you're serious but... that's really it. Buddha OG fasted like mad and the first thing he did after getting enlightened was having a bowl and telling the other monks to chill.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
As far as I know raw mushrooms are poisonous or at least not super healthy, and cooked I really dislike the texture. Occasionally I take some of those "special" dried ones though 😉
Raw mushrooms (if of course they are the right kind) are absolutely fine. And, IMHO, very tasty. I have scoffed many a raw mushroom.

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Raw mushrooms (if of course they are the right kind) are absolutely fine. And, IMHO, very tasty. I have scoffed many a raw mushroom.
They also last longer if you dehydrate them. Still edible, taste just isn't great.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
what about the ninjas that go inside an iron bell and every morning that they are alive they pull a rope
and when they do that people from outside toss in like a handful of seeds and they repeat until the ninja doesn't pull the rope.

the remains of orthodox saints are said to have a light smell of frankincense etc supposedly because of their diet
and really, most of the religious calendar is all plants,fish and beans (beanzzzzzz) typa thing,
most all our holidays are always a dinner.

make no mistake even shaolin monks rock meat when they train. the ultimate "pacifics" or so the movies say
that is all the length we need to go into that whole if you eat carrots you immortal mp3
there is no right single food because our natures are... all together now -adaptable.
we can eat bark and dirt and ninjas out there chewing bricks. the body is an alchemical factory and if you
headbang to that beat long enough you somehow get to a level when you learn indian dudes drink urine, and you think "gross but i get it"

@TheMouse that was a whole bloody hga progression trip it was a great read,
what im getting as the lesson is "you appreciate it more when it isn't abundant"
-type of ninjutsu, i dig it. ordinary tap water never looked so good after a hard day's work

Aeternus

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Okay, since apparently I've seen this in a couple of threads, I feel like a discussion should be had.

I for one have fasted for days previously while meditating, and will not discount the benefit of fasting, dietary restrictions, etc. but am curious as to what other people think - in a general sense - and what actual evidence backs it up.

I've been vegan, keto, organic, and strict dietary, and have seen personal changes in the way I think - and act - and I've seen the evidence for it via changes in the gut biomes.

But how do you include fasting, dietary restrictions, or even short stints of diets in your practice?
Well, fasting and other dietary practice is not generally bad, if, of course, it is done with measure and not in an exaggerated way.

In some of the Angelic work I have to do, I respect the requirement of fasting for three days, for example.

I can extend that fasting for some longer periods of time, as I also found it beneficial for empowering my energies even easier at that time, clean my chakras and aura, balance elements much quicker and healthier. I can say it has a lot of benefits. Even astral projection worked more fluid for me.

As for the difficulties of maintaining fasting, you need to have strong will power, and reach a state of profound inner and outer visualization, something like: see the essence of what you eat, and how it is going to make an impact for you in the future (positive / negative, based on long-term and short-term findings). Some food will always remain a good source of nutrients for us, like grains, potatoes, other vegetables, fruits, etc. while other foods will be more for our taste buds to be satisfied 😌.

lee smith

Neophyte
Reaction score
Hmm.. I can say I lost about 60 pounds by following a 80% vegetable/grain diet and limiting sweets. I still drink soda and will scarf a Pappa John's if it comes my way. My A1C was 5.4? I believe when it was tested a few weeks ago. I'm kinda simple. I make 6 quarts of home made veggie soup with about 12 different veggies every week and I eat at least one bowl of it almost every day. I fill in the rest with bread, noodles and such with some junk food thrown in. I also make goulash and pots of beans. I also make my own fermented foods like Sauerkraut and pickles.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Inter

Post automatically merged:

Intermittent fasting has done wonders for me personally (16-18hrs) a day typically 16, fruit, vegetables and the protein powder with the least amount of ingredients along with chlorophyll drops+copper is what I typically have. It’s helped me tremendously with self discipline and willpower, and feeling much more energetic. Drinking purified water, or distilled water and re-mineralizing it, are also good alternatives to reduce any heavy metals typically found in “filtered” water and tap water. IMO it really helps balance your hormones to slowly start incorporating those things to find out what feels right to you, it doesn’t need to be done overnight, but there’s nothing wrong with healthy habits. Just make sure your body is getting the nutrients it needs. 🤷‍♂️ my 2 cents from experience,

Last edited:

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Reminder that this post is in the occult section, and all discussions must relate to fasting, dieting, and food relating to your occult practice.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
On regards to my health-fitness fasting post… it helps with meditations. a calm mind is a powerful thing, a disciplined mind is a respected one and a calculated mind shows your patience and dedication to your goal no matter what it takes, this helps in all practices. No matter th oath you pursue.

AlfrunGrima

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Because of high doses of cortisones for longer periods (Crohns Disease with Rheumatic problems) I got severely addicted to eating constantly and that is a terrible thing for your mind. When I was able to stop medication I gradually eased into fasting more and more. I can say the that addiction is healed by now, which gives me a much more calm and clear mind because my mind is not directing me to food all day anymore. And I got free choice of what I want to eat again which gave me the head space to choose for healthier foods, almost no sugars and less meat.

Before ritual practices I don't fast, but eat no meat. After writing and re-reading my diaries I came to the very conclusion that I am more focused and centered when I don't eat meat.

Reaction score
Awards
Fasting from a magick/spiritual standpoint (unless a dietary restriction imposed by an entity you work with) is about denial, self mastery, putting the physical in its place. In a lot of ways similar results can be done with alcohol, nicotine, social media, video games, sex, etc, etc, anything that the body or mind craves. (e.g. Standing in line bored so you want to reach for your phone as an escape from that boredom.) Though food does seem to work faster.

The body makes its request, you tell it no, it throws a fit, you tell it to hush, it goes full tantrum, you explain it isn’t the most important part and that under the best of circumstances it’s existence is fleeting and that soon it’ll pass away. Continue till it submits which brings about an interesting state which is a good foundation for rituals.

I use it when I’m attempting something I’ve never accomplished before or when the results are a necessity/time sensitive. In my experience bonus points if the final ritual includes breaking the fast (e.g. Eucharist).

-Eld