• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

First ritual

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Ive been reeading about occult stuff a bit and want to try a simple ritual nothing big/dangerous/complicated
Note: I am christian and dont intend on interacting with any other deities

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Any good guides for it i saw the wikipedia instructions seems easy but does the dagger need to be specific?
Sorry, what do you mean "specific." Do mean a dagger set apart for ritual use? That's often reccomended, but I doubt it's 100% essential. A knife that you have a strong bond with should work fine. One you have carried when outdoors, say.

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry, what do you mean "specific." Do mean a dagger set apart for ritual use? That's often reccomended, but I doubt it's 100% essential. A knife that you have a strong bond with should work fine. One you have carried when outdoors, say.
I have one that would fit that discription but its second hand so im worried it has any attachments

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Sentinel
Reaction score
Awards
LBRP and the Qabalistic Cross will be fine. You do not need a dagger to begin with. You can add one later. The descriptions on how to perform these rituals are many and varied. I saw a fellow on YouTube demonstrate what to say and do in detail.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Any good guides for it i saw the wikipedia instructions seems easy but does the dagger need to be specific?
A dagger just gets in the way in my opinion. If you are a Christian, you're used to making the Sign of the Cross with your fingers, so you'll be fine.

Ziran

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Ive been reeading about occult stuff a bit and want to try a simple ritual nothing big/dangerous/complicated
Note: I am christian and dont intend on interacting with any other deities

Christian? I suggest: Bread and wine. Invocation before, gratitude after. Repeat it weekly for a month. Journal your experiences.

Simple. Wholesome. Healthy. Good.
Post automatically merged:

the dagger need to be specific

It needs an edge and a point. But that doesn't mean the edge is sharp. The material matters, if I recall. Metal. Not a wooden practice blade.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I have one that would fit that discription but its second hand so im worried it has any attachments
I was told to purify any implement before use. But then that'd make purification your first ritual. I think Regardie's instruction on the LBRP says to use the incense itself. That's fine, but incense sticks tend to be fragile and snap off. Like HoldAll suggests, a finger should work fine to start out with.

If you do decide to purify the dagger first, I sent you a link by PM for an easily adapted ceremony.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The Sword Banishing Ritual in Damon Brand's "Protection Magick" is very simple and yet very empowering. It takes a minute tops if you are really thorough. I do it first thing in the morning and last thing at night, it's a good visualisation exercise and gets you accustomed to contacting (Kabbalistic) angels protecting you. Another idea would be the Master Ritual in Brand's "The 72 Angels of Magic" which is more ambitious than the LBRP and also contains some nice imagery for visualisation.

Another idea would be praying but praying like you perhaps have never prayed before: Not as a poor sinner debasing himself before an almighty god but as a self-assured and empowered being, taking full responsibility for his actions and his life, making no excuses for anything, without any pleading for gracious intercession and that (in my opinion) disgusting habit of heaping fulsome praise on a omnipotent being who doesn't need it anyway. A magician first and foremost has agency. Talk to God (or even better: with God) bearing all, without shame or guilt or phony promises of future virtuous conduct. "Here I stand, and I can do no other", as Martin Luther famously said. You don't need to appease a capricous Old Testament deity; you're in charge of your life, and no one can take that away from you.

What I am personally still struggling with is the ancient adage of "Enflame Thyself With Prayer", pouring abundant emotions into my prayers to various spirits; it continues to feel embarassing to me but then I'm not a believer anymore so you probably have less difficulties in the enflaming department than me.

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
The Sword Banishing Ritual in Damon Brand's "Protection Magick" is very simple and yet very empowering. It takes a minute tops if you are really thorough. I do it first thing in the morning and last thing at night, it's a good visualisation exercise and gets you accustomed to contacting (Kabbalistic) angels protecting you. Another idea would be the Master Ritual in Brand's "The 72 Angels of Magic" which is more ambitious than the LBRP and also contains some nice imagery for visualisation.

Another idea would be praying but praying like you perhaps have never prayed before: Not as a poor sinner debasing himself before an almighty god but as a self-assured and empowered being, taking full responsibility for his actions and his life, making no excuses for anything, without any pleading for gracious intercession and that (in my opinion) disgusting habit of heaping fulsome praise on a omnipotent being who doesn't need it anyway. A magician first and foremost has agency. Talk to God (or even better: with God) bearing all, without shame or guilt or phony promises of future virtuous conduct. "Here I stand, and I can do no other", as Martin Luther famously said. You don't need to appease a capricous Old Testament deity; you're in charge of your life, and no one can take that away from you.

What I am personally still struggling with is the ancient adage of "Enflame Thyself With Prayer", pouring abundant emotions into my prayers to various spirits; it continues to feel embarassing to me but then I'm not a believer anymore so you probably have less difficulties in the enflaming department than me.
Thanks for the advice again
First i dont see a point in the Sword Banishing Ritual since from what i have heard ity is an actual banishing ritual and im not really trying that
Second Master Ritual seems very advanced bvut i will read more into it
I should have been more specific with what kind of magick i want to learn/get into because i have been interested in HGA stuff(i know way to complicated for a beginner) and Solomonic stuff especially the enslaving demons

Pyrokar

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
don't pass on Holdall's advice easily.
banishing means (and does) more than just the obvious.
secondly you will apsolutely need a good banish for the rest of your plans.
though i'd argue against Damon Brand but that's neither here nor there, you need a banish is the point.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I just like the Sword Banishing Ritual, it feels empowering somehow.

In the "Holy Guardian Angel" anthology, Jason Miller thinks that trying to contact one's HGA should be at the beginning of one's magical career. This may sound like heresy to sworn traditionalists but in a way he may be right because it could be claimed that the HGA is the spirit closest to one, so why not start there? "Magical Destiny" offers a more 'humane' alternative to the gruelling Abramelin procedure but may look too easy to some.

The main thing is holding pin-point concentration and focus during rituals which is why many recommend a daily practice of meditation (+ the LBRP to see how far you have progressed with your ritual focus).
Post automatically merged:

banishing means (and does) more than just the obvious.
In that ritual, you get two knights on your right and and on your left beside of you, just like bodyguards. They are holding shining swords. Plus they're angels. And then you conjure two more of these powerful beings to watch over you. Great way to start the day.

Last edited: