• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

goetia circle on altar ?

vbBarney88

Visitor
Reaction score
I've been looking for a "simple" way of doing a goetia ritual . Would it not make sense to put some form of goetia circle on top of my altar with a triangle in the middle and skrying stone or goetia amulet in the center . Is this dangerous ? I know some would frown upon this but it seems to make sense to me ... what do you think ? Have not done goetia or traditional grimoire before but looking for more power and precision in the results I have seen up to now . Thanks for any thoughts or experiences .

Reaction score
Awards
It really depends first of all if you are a demon worshipper, or LHP.

Some LHP would beat you upside the head the same as Solomonic practitioners for not following the program.
It is an interesting idea, but again it depends on your approach.

I cannot speak for the LHP, but Im sure some would approve of your idea.
Some modern magicians, mostly LHP, from on Solomonic methods, as the demons are tormented by the approach.
This is where the demon worshippers would chime in that you dont need a circle, that they find it offensive.
I take it you are talking about Goetia here, right?

Most modern methods, in fact, three great tutorials on Koettings site are a Pentetion Ritual Tutorial, Kindrathes Bulletproof Immersion Guide, and Mike_Bees Evocation Guide. Thats how I started to get involved last time with Bime and Ipos on my teachers idea. I had different folks in mind more suited to help me rebuild my life. The modern methods will basically start you off with a petition ritual. You then fully immerse for two weeks, the strongest the latter week before the evocation. At this point you should be listening to enn chants nonstop, meditating on the sigil, etc. Basically building a portal into your consciousness or your building a psychic bridge with them. Your head will swoosh and you might hear the thunder and ripping of the veil. You might see shadows leaping in your dwelling out of the corner of your eye.

Then there is the Demons of Magic approach, a hybrid approach by calling the Shem Angel ruling over them, and three angel emissaries then you call forth the demon and it will have to comply.

Then there is Hargrove and others that have guided meditations or path workings.

All sorts of approaches. Im not sure what you're trying to accomplish by hosting it on your altar, as the altar is your universe. However, I can see it making sense in a way with talismata.

Hope I made sense and it helps. Other more experienced Solomonic type practitioners might want to chime in, as the circle and triangle is kinda crucial to their art.

vbBarney88

Visitor
Reaction score
Most modern methods, in fact, three great tutorials on Koettings site are a Pentetion Ritual Tutorial, Kindrathes Bulletproof Immersion Guide, and Mike_Bees Evocation Guide. Thats how I started to get involved last time with Bime and Ipos on my teachers idea. I had different folks in mind more suited to help me rebuild my life. The modern methods will basically start you off with a petition ritual. You then fully immerse for two weeks, the strongest the latter week before the evocation. At this point you should be listening to enn chants nonstop, meditating on the sigil, etc. Basically building a portal into your consciousness or your building a psychic bridge with them. Your head will swoosh and you might hear the thunder and ripping of the veil. You might see shadows leaping in your dwelling out of the corner of your eye.

Then there is the Demons of Magic approach, a hybrid approach by calling the Shem Angel ruling over them, and three angel emissaries then you call forth the demon and it will have to comply.

Then there is Hargrove and others that have guided meditations or path workings.
Goetia yes . Thanks for your insights . I have looked into the Demons of Magic and Hargrove both . Kind of doesn't appeal to me but I might still go back to try it . I like those old grimoires but it is a little impractical , creating a circle on the floor and the space needed . So I am looking for something simpler but still closer to the grimoires . I will checkout some of your other suggestions .

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I have designed a Goetia circle based on my idea that there are 9 Kingdoms in the Goetia (concealing, friendship, love, war, divination, strength, alchemy, science and exposing)

Reaction score
Awards
I believe the best idea I came across is either a rug painted and rolled up to be put away when not in use, or, use a large piece of plywood or particle board, drill holes for candles, and measurer and paint. Obviously if it gets warped its done with.

Reaction score
Awards
A difference or two Ive noted between ceremonial; magic circles of LHP and RHP:
LHP:
Language - Draconian script, Theban, Passing the River, generally Middle East ancient tribal languages.
Quarter Names: Generally those of standard Theistic Satanism or Luciferian, will generally be Lucifer/Flurous/Leviatan/Belial, or the gatekeepers.
Candle colors: Typically black or white unless the practitioner is doing specialized work or colors for spirits involved. Typically dressed and bloodied.

RHP:
Language -- Usually Celestial, Malachim, Hebrew, Greek.
Quarter Names: Generally the elemental names of Jah, YHVH, Adonai, Ehieh, Agla; or archangel names may be in th circle. Sometimes it may strictly be Hebrew and symbols.
Candle colors: Usually white, or four standard colors at quarters; unless doing specialized work. Dressed but typically not bloodied.

Let me know if Im wooing here.

Barnabas

Neophyte
Reaction score
I'm not a practitioner, I just read and listen at this stage.
I came across Solomonic Magic and these people are concerned with keeping the demon at a distance for good reasons.
Who want's to become posessed by demon? Being infused by certain cosmic energies is a different approach, but not a posession.
The impression I got was: there is no quick way. It takes effort and time. Otherwise it's gambling with uncertain outcome.
The magician must be inside an un-interrupted circle and stay there during the whole procedure. The triangle is outside the
circle to entangle the spirit. Maybe
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
will help you. A Goetia is mentioned / referenced many times in the book.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I've been looking for a "simple" way of doing a goetia ritual . Would it not make sense to put some form of goetia circle on top of my altar with a triangle in the middle and skrying stone or goetia amulet in the center . Is this dangerous ? I know some would frown upon this but it seems to make sense to me ... what do you think ? Have not done goetia or traditional grimoire before but looking for more power and precision in the results I have seen up to now . Thanks for any thoughts or experiences .

Funny you ask that because guess what........that's exactly what I do. My Goetia circle fits right on my altar. So does the Triangle. Why? Because I don't use them separately, I use them as Trithemius instructed us with his Table of Practice. He combined the circle and triangle into one device that still follows all the rules of the Tradition. While I still do have my 12 foot Goetia circle I haven't used in almost 10 years. I strictly use the Table of Practice.

If you're interested check out Trithemius's Art of Drawing Spirits Into Crystals or for a more modern take check out Rufus Opus's Modern Goetic/Angelic Grimoires and his updated version known as Goetic Grimoire.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not a practitioner, I just read and listen at this stage.
I came across Solomonic Magic and these people are concerned with keeping the demon at a distance for good reasons.
Who want's to become posessed by demon? Being infused by certain cosmic energies is a different approach, but not a posession.
The impression I got was: there is no quick way. It takes effort and time. Otherwise it's gambling with uncertain outcome.
The magician must be inside an un-interrupted circle and stay there during the whole procedure. The triangle is outside the
circle to entangle the spirit. Maybe
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
will help you. A Goetia is mentioned / referenced many times in the book.

I promise you that you won't get possessed by a Goetic demon, at least not without formally inviting it to do so but even so, that's not really their thing. I know Hollywood and the paranormal communities makes it seem like demonic possession is super common and happens all over but it does not. Possession is generally a trait of initiatic groups in which the person and spirit(s) have developed a relationship and it isn't even called possession in most cases, but being "ridden" or "mounted" or "receiving a spirit into your head". Possession is usually done for purposes of initiation, oracles, prophecies, and healing.

Barnabas

Neophyte
Reaction score
I promise you that you won't get possessed by a Goetic demon, at least not without formally inviting it to do so but even so, that's not really their thing. I know Hollywood and the paranormal communities makes it seem like demonic possession is super common and happens all over but it does not.
With posession I referred more to demon worshipping than to leaving/skipping the circle. Dr. Skinner just gave the impression that not having a protective circle, can get the magician somehow kicked around by the demon. He wasn't quite specific on that point. The only example I recall was a bit extreme: Somebody got his neck broken ('like a hen') when he followed an attractive woman, which of course was only an illusion. Maybe this example was from literature. He didn't seem to have ever tried to leave the circle or even do without.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
With posession I referred more to demon worshipping than to leaving/skipping the circle. Dr. Skinner just gave the impression that not having a protective circle, can get the magician somehow kicked around by the demon. He wasn't quite specific on that point. The only example I recall was a bit extreme: Somebody got his neck broken ('like a hen') when he followed an attractive woman, which of course was only an illusion. Maybe this example was from literature. He didn't seem to have ever tried to leave the circle or even do without.
While I too agree one should never leave the circle until the rite is finished and the spirit has been properly banished/sent away I have never heard of a Goetic possessing someone. Sure you'll be open to their influence and heavy energy which could definitely cause problems. But possession, idk.