• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Goetic Demons and Other Prominent Spirits in Pop Culture

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if this is more of a recent trend than something that's been going on for decades, but there are quite a few TV shows, games, movies, cartoons etc. out there where Goetic demons are depicted as characters. Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss are the first two I can think of, with several instances of this. Supernatural had both prominent demons and angels if I remember correctly. Then there's Helltaker, which literally turns them into dating sim waifus, as well as countless ecchi/hentai anime even further sexualizing goetia figures. (Some of which are absolutely hilarious, by the way)

But here's what I wonder. Do they or do they not like this kind of pop culture attention from thousands of humans? Would they possibly find it amusing, even, to know that people are writing gay fanfics about them, or some neckbeard in his basement is currently wanking it to their image as a big tiddy anime girl? Would Goetic spirits even be benefiting from this, in the same way egregores/thoughtforms get energy from normal people directing their attention passively? Perhaps even an influx of people trying to contact them on purpose, as the added publicity gets people thinking and researching the goetia?

I'm not a Goetia person really, so I wouldn't know. But it's something that's interesting to think about. Because while there are a million and one fictional Satans and Lucifers out there due to the names being such common knowledge, it's not every day the scriptwriters toss in a Stolas or Belial. And it's honestly kinda funny, looking at it from an occultist's point of view.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
If I had to guess, they're probably used to it/beyond caring about that stuff at this point. I highly doubt the demons of the Goetia experience emotions/thoughts in the same way humans do, let alone be sulking in the corner because some tween is furiously masturbating to a homoerotic anime illustration of them.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
If I had to guess, they're probably used to it/beyond caring about that stuff at this point. I highly doubt the demons of the Goetia experience emotions/thoughts in the same way humans do, let alone be sulking in the corner because some tween is furiously masturbating to a homoerotic anime illustration of them.
Oh, I'm sure it's not gonna hurt their feelings or whatever. I was thinking it'd be more like amusement at most. Or like I said, directly benefiting from it in a practical sense.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I think for them it's really the "all advertising is good advertising", no matter how cringe we might think it is.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
im sure a few in the movie n tv industry know about magic. I recall watching an episode of the Night Gallery called the flip side of Satan, they started mentioning demon names in the goetia. Hereditary most recently to my memory mentioned King Paimon

id assume they enjoy the attention, they likely feed off attention and worship they get. I’m sure there’s always some young man or woman who will dabble in the occult.

the spirits likely do observe us and watch our goings about...if not why else would they even listen to us.

from my studies many are just like us and others are defiantly not...

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I think the whole thing is interesting and complicated, particularly as a materialist.

The demons of the mind, the things that reside in "the oubliette of abstract evil", get configured in some respects to reflect the ways we imagine them.

In this way, the media constrains and defines them in new and interesting ways.

For instance certain models of demonic relationships can introduce the concept that even creatures of the oubliette of the mind may incorporate principle upon abandoning selfishness and accepting that their job is as an adversarial advisor, not as a true adversary. In that way, the oubliette loses traction on them, and they manifest as a facet of your own personality.

To that end you may grow a new kink or media interest inherited from the demonic aspect you just redeemed.

It all comes down to the belief that everything in yourself can, and should be loved unto redemption.

In some ways the media is instrumental to this in that it hammers such ideas into shapes that CAN be redeemed.

By seeing the dysfunction in the relationships of Helluva Boss, for example, you can directly recommend resolutions involving social exchange rather than suffering in silence, even when the things being presented these lessons live in the oubliette.