• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Good stuff alert!

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I've randomly started watching a show called "Evil" with low expectations and im glad to report it's looking really nice so far.

The concept is that of a trio, a priest in training, a psychologist and a tech guy working as a team under the Catholic church to assess things like demonic possessions
hauntings, prophets and so on and so forth.
On the other side of the cast is another psychologist who is committed to spreading hellish influence just....because he wants to i guess.

The show is a slow burn but rightfully so, im only seven episodes in and since ep 1 there has been a definite tension and trepidation as the story evolves.
In example of X-files which tend to turn their supernatural events into plausable resolutions with the final parts leaving room for doubt
Evil tends to bend it the other way, making the events look definitely supernatural until it's revealed to be a trick of some sorts, but leaving the
ending to show that although the event was faked the influence toward it happening in the first place was not.

For example episode one deals with a man who has been driven to murder by actual Demonic forces, but he is advised to pretend to be possessed
or under influence in order to get better chances at court, i LOVE that.

They are using Goetic sigils and names, as well as other general-wise occult data crossed against the skepticism of the team
The plot as i am reading it so far involves the modern age of Evil and the fact that it has now become "Organized" and that is followed in plot by an order of 60 demons that are slowly but surely taking notice of the team's efforts and targeting them.

Don't get me wrong it's not an occult masterpiece, but it is (by my taste) not a third rate bs backround noise to Netflix n Chill to.
There is inspiration to be found, for sure. And it is entertaining, Characters are all good, no one feels like they don't belong, and they each feel like real people
I wouldn't say im super hooked on it, but once i do decide to watch an episode i always note that im invested and have a little lump of air waiting to jolt me into reaching for my kunai. I especially like the sigils and artworks, im not sure if they are all genuine or Goetic, at least i don't expect them to be
if they are...well that would give them another star putting it at a solid 4/5 from the current 3

Some images for flavor:

sddefault.jpg

Evil-_-Investigate-This-Demon-Possessed-Whodunit-_-Paramount-0-17-screenshot-1.png

Evil-_-Investigate-This-Demon-Possessed-Whodunit-_-Paramount-0-6-screenshot.png

EVIL107-8.jpg

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Holy shit, this does look good and well researched... It's so hard to even find half decent/semi-accurate occult shows that this legit looks amazing.

My only question to you is does it have jump scares? I fucking hate that shit. I have no problem with horror/gore/dreadful depictions but I truly hate jump scares.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
One, maybe two. and even then it's not the uhhh..whats the word...
it's not the focus of the scene to scare you, you know it's coming and it's not followed by a chorus of violins scratching.

as i said it's a slow burn in that, "what are those fcks planning now...." type of way.
the guy working for the demons? shivers my timbers, he looks like the type of person i would have bullied in school.

not much real gore, and if there was , like the supposed jump scare ( and i do know what you mean, i consider it cheap and a sign of no talent)
i don't remember any of it to have been more than just a way to convey the danger to the audience.
That demon from pic one bites a character and the result is like, a small patch of red under the clothes not squirting blood and stuff
and that example goes through with all the other events.

it's safe to give it a try, as far as your turn offs are concerned i promise. You might still hate it, but it wont be for that.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
One, maybe two. and even then it's not the uhhh..whats the word...
it's not the focus of the scene to scare you, you know it's coming and it's not followed by a chorus of violins scratching.

as i said it's a slow burn in that, "what are those fcks planning now...." type of way.
the guy working for the demons? shivers my timbers, he looks like the type of person i would have bullied in school.

not much real gore, and if there was , like the supposed jump scare ( and i do know what you mean, i consider it cheap and a sign of no talent)
i don't remember any of it to have been more than just a way to convey the danger to the audience.
That demon from pic one bites a character and the result is like, a small patch of red under the clothes not squirting blood and stuff
and that example goes through with all the other events.

it's safe to give it a try, as far as your turn offs are concerned i promise. You might still hate it, but it wont be for that.
Ok ok ok good to hear. I'm gonna add this to my list. Thank you.

I am a sucker for symbolism and I love to see occult symbology accurately depicted in pop media.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Great show. Some scenes had me LMAO. I like how the team manages to "disprove" supernatural stuff while it keeps going on in the background.

A little lucid dreaming scene here with "George":
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

neilwilkes

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
It gets really tedious really quickly.
Their Goetia seals are all nonsensical - when it first started I even went as far as to look them up & whilst they are kinda similar, they are all made up. Sadly the show rapidly deteriorates intop a 'Demon/Monster of the Week' kind of effort, and becomes very boring.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
we don't need occult use in shows to follow a copy paste of existing works
aka it doesn't matter if the seals and related is made up it's how it's put into place, we make seals out of nothing all the time.
the demons are obviously Goetia inspired i've seen them name at least 3 and Leland is a straight up personification of one with a
little history edit of the demon in the scriptures too.
So i wouldn't agree with that, on the other hand it might very well be boring or repetitive, im only seven episodes deep.
im in it for the experience so far it's been fine, but other than that, they can't film it or write the script any other way than a monster of the week
it's what the characters are hired to do in the first place lmao idk what you expected.

Im rating it at a 3/5 and ill allow a +1 if they did occult stuff properly, but im in no way biased towards it, just think what you said was debatable.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I will say, as someone who laps up supernatural bullshit without regard because fuck that's how the world should work, but this show is arguably "better" than Supernatural. Just because the storyline is more fun. Supernatural's "we have ta stahp the apocalypse!" gets real old real quick.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
valid take. i'll take it
so far it's looking more "mindhunter-y" but worse to me