• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Grimorium Verum and Lemegaton in practice?

G. Ephraim

Visitor
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am looking to elevate my armchair interest in Ceremonial Magic to actual practice and find myself at a bit of a fork in the road. At the moment, I am trying to pin down a sourcebook to work from as a novice. I have read through Jake Stratton Kent's edition of the Grimorium Verum The True Grimoire and feel that the ritual procedure outlined therein is achievable for me. However, I am aware that the Spirit Catalogue in The True Grimoire (Verum), among other aspects of the system, is different than what is presented in the Lemegaton for example. While I'm aware that grimoires vary in many ways, I was hoping someone could share some insight on where I should start when it comes to actually putting these grimoires into practice.

As I previously said I've read through JSK's True Grimoire multiple times, but, recently having read Julio Cesar Ody's Magister Officiorum, I am beginning to wonder if I should shift my focus towards another text along the lines of Joseph H Peterson's The Lesser Key of Solomon. Magister Officiorum has lit something of a fire underneath me to get going with the actual work itself, but, as it mainly refers to the Lemegaton and Hygromanteia and systems found therein, I am unsure of whether to continue with The True Grimoire or to reorient myself with other texts.

At the end of the day, I want to begin putting my research into practice. I just don't want to start off on the wrong foot so to speak. Any insight into these two systems for a beginner in ceremonial magic would be very beneficial and greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
G. Ephraim

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Yes there are different grimoires with different (or sometimes overlapping) lists of spirits. It doesn't really make sense to ask (us) which one is better for you as you need to decide that.
If you think one ritual structure is better or easier then pick that one. If the powers or spirits in one speak to you then pick that one.
The most important thing to do (as a magician) is to eventually find your own way.

Reaction score
Awards
Greetings,

I am looking to elevate my armchair interest in Ceremonial Magic to actual practice and find myself at a bit of a fork in the road. At the moment, I am trying to pin down a sourcebook to work from as a novice. I have read through Jake Stratton Kent's edition of the Grimorium Verum The True Grimoire and feel that the ritual procedure outlined therein is achievable for me. However, I am aware that the Spirit Catalogue in The True Grimoire (Verum), among other aspects of the system, is different than what is presented in the Lemegaton for example. While I'm aware that grimoires vary in many ways, I was hoping someone could share some insight on where I should start when it comes to actually putting these grimoires into practice.

As I previously said I've read through JSK's True Grimoire multiple times, but, recently having read Julio Cesar Ody's Magister Officiorum, I am beginning to wonder if I should shift my focus towards another text along the lines of Joseph H Peterson's The Lesser Key of Solomon. Magister Officiorum has lit something of a fire underneath me to get going with the actual work itself, but, as it mainly refers to the Lemegaton and Hygromanteia and systems found therein, I am unsure of whether to continue with The True Grimoire or to reorient myself with other texts.

At the end of the day, I want to begin putting my research into practice. I just don't want to start off on the wrong foot so to speak. Any insight into these two systems for a beginner in ceremonial magic would be very beneficial and greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
G. Ephraim
Why not something like The Black Pullet?

G. Ephraim

Visitor
Reaction score
Yes there are different grimoires with different (or sometimes overlapping) lists of spirits. It doesn't really make sense to ask (us) which one is better for you as you need to decide that.
If you think one ritual structure is better or easier then pick that one. If the powers or spirits in one speak to you then pick that one.
The most important thing to do (as a magician) is to eventually find your own way.
Solid advice thank you!
Post automatically merged:

Why not something like The Black Pullet?
I was interested in The Black Pullet for some time but am not all that drawn to the heavy focus on talismans. However, it's been some time since I've looked into this grimoire so it very well be worth a revisit!

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Feeling is king, if you are drawn to it look at it from every angle and then decide.
But otherwise i don't know about Stratton Kent as a starter choice
He is kind of big boy stuff anyway you look at it. really all of your choices are pretty strong.

you might want to ease into it instead with lighter material, but continue studying your strong point,
the true grimoire.