• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Guy called me a satanist because i sad i follow golden dawn teachings

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realise that 50% of them are stupider than that!" - George Carlin

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Churchill said that the best argument against democracy was talking with the man in the street. Still and all, Crowley's antics have a lot to do with your interlocutor's aspersion. He's closely identified with the Golden Dawn in the public mind, and was at considerable pains to get hisself known as "the Beast," "the most evil man alive," etc. The guy you were talking to simply slipped into the trap.

Plus there's a hell of an info overload afoot i these times. Why should everyone be expected to know everything? I read a piece a few years back deploring "American ignorance" of the Sorbs. Not Serbs, Sorbs. A minority of about 70,000 Slavs in Germany's Spee River Valley. The Sorb writer was nigh incensed at the neglect. The question is perfectly reasonable: "Why should the man in the street know your special hobby horse?"

One way to avoid misunderstandings is to say nothing of your beliefs to those you do not closely connect with. Me, I make a joke of it. "My religion? (frown and hiss) The right one!" Then laugh while the other guy says, "Hey, that's what Aunt Martha used to say..." Or, again, "You know that old hymn 'Give Me That Old Time Religion'? Well, it's good enough for me!" Laugh and talk about the price of gasoline or the weather.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
it goes both ways.
this is like when i go to a concert and see idiots tying their pentagrams so tight to their throat they basically chocking.
just so you would see the big bad pentagram.
or the time i was reading the Bible in the equivalent of a animal zoo fitted in a classroom.
it took 15 minutes before i was the worst of the worst, they're spraying water on me, asking dumbass questions, calling for more people to join the crowd around my desk.

-Don't worry i smacked a mouth or two, but then i almost very deeply regretted it later.
The point being, why the fuck would you tell or show anyone that?

It's a double edge. Next time don't go for the easy cool points and as we say, check yo self before you wreck yo self foo

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Simple ignorance and bigotry. Some in the GD in turn were scared of a purported Black Brotherhood (or was it Blavatsky?), and that person most likely wasn't aware that 'Satanist' is a proud label of self-identification for some in the occult. It's like some theologians in Medieval and Rennaissance times taught that all magic involved demons and the devil. I'm surprised that dumb person even knew what the Golden Dawn was.

Aeternus

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
How are people this stupid
Nowadays, due to dogmatism, people will associate everything that doesn't fit their concepts and dogma-fed literature and scriptures, as "hellish, demonic, satanic" you name it.

Some people have what is called as over-zealousness and literally go over the edge with their scolding so as to "convince" you to come back to a dogmatic point of things.

The best that you can do is to ignore these people and stick to your path and avoid obstacles and individuals who offer shady advice that may drive you on the wrong way.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Why all the outrage just because someone does not understand your pet fetish? My wife and I just watched a movie set in the 1930's where Chiang Kai Shek's troops are shown packing U.S. made M3 submachine guns (that were first used in Europe in 1944.) If I start bitching, "Gee Suss Kleist! That's WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!" are you going to commiserate with me, or go watch the flick elsewhere?

Again, some lists say there are 72 genders, others 81, yet others 107. Can you name 'em all? If not, you're an ignorant caveman with a big rage-target painted on his back.

Same thing here. An ordinary Joe makes the culturally-inculcated mistake about GD. Why should he be expected to know better? "Occult" means hidden. What part of that are y'all stumbling over?

Here, let me revert to my Nazarene roots. St. Francis of Assisi taught, "Seek to understand, not to be understood." He might also have added, "...and switch to decaf, as long as you're at it."
Post automatically merged:

If a guy makes a mistake about your beliefs, consider it a teaching moment. Give him the facts about your Hermetic Odor of the Goldurned Dawg or whatever.

Last edited:

Gregorius

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Why all the outrage just because someone does not understand your pet fetish? My wife and I just watched a movie set in the 1930's where Chiang Kai Shek's troops are shown packing U.S. made M3 submachine guns (that were first used in Europe in 1944.) If I start bitching, "Gee Suss Kleist! That's WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!" are you going to commiserate with me, or go watch the flick elsewhere?

Again, some lists say there are 72 genders, others 81, yet others 107. Can you name 'em all? If not, you're an ignorant caveman with a big rage-target painted on his back.

Same thing here. An ordinary Joe makes the culturally-inculcated mistake about GD. Why should he be expected to know better? "Occult" means hidden. What part of that are y'all stumbling over?

Here, let me revert to my Nazarene roots. St. Francis of Assisi taught, "Seek to understand, not to be understood." He might also have added, "...and switch to decaf, as long as you're at it."
Post automatically merged:

If a guy makes a mistake about your beliefs, consider it a teaching moment. Give him the facts about your Hermetic Odor of the Goldurned Dawg or whatever.
I wish it was like an argument but the guy was extrem schizo
“you are a witch and a satanist and so are golden dawn members another secret society full of devil worshipers if i remember correctly and the o.t.o“

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
“you are a witch and a satanist and so are golden dawn members another secret society full of devil worshipers if i remember correctly and the o.t.o“
I believe you were having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
In that case, don't waste your time. Like ol' Marcus Aurelius said, each morning remind yourself I will meet with the vicious, the greedy, the stupid...(his list runs on.) The real question is not how he can be that stupid but what damage can he do you.

Thus, if you have to be in proximity with the individual in question, be on guard. Like Anton LaVey did, try to make a joke of the imputation. Thus make the accuser look like the fool. Or, if others are on hand when he brings up the matter again, simply look a little annoyed/surprised, give him a blank look and say "I don't know what you're talking about? You sure you were even talking to me?" Shrug shoulders and shake head, not unsympathetically.