• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Hair, Tattoos, Makeup, and More: A Personal Exploration of Links Between Self-Expression and Spirituality

ghoulish

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I’ve recently been quite drawn to the prospect of actually worshipping a deity, which is quite odd for me. I’ve never felt compelled to do so before, but I suppose something must have shifted alongside my rapidly changing life. I digress. The purpose of this exploration is both as a way to sort out my own thoughts on this topic and to encourage others to think on it themselves.

I feel a bit of background on the deity in question is in order. She is a Chinese deity known as Húxiān Niángniáng, translated as variations of Lady Nine Tail Fox Immortal or Lady Nine Tail Fox Fairy (or shortened versions of either). I will refer to Her as Húxiān from here on, but keep in mind that “Húxiān” refers to most fox spirits in Chinese mythology, while here I only mean Húxiān Niángniáng– a specific deity. She is a goddess of fertility, foxes, seduction, persuasion, passion, beauty, desire, and messages. I see seduction and persuasion as two sides of the same coin; both require a level of charisma and understanding of the mentality of those you aim to affect. In general, beauty is a running theme in the background of nearly all of the things Húxiān presides over, so I’m sorting through different ways to enhance my appearance and devote specific portions of it to the goddess.

I’ll begin with a question I’ve been pondering: whose standard of beauty should I strive towards? This is a Chinese goddess, so should I try to conform to Chinese standards of beauty? Or should I just aim towards my own, since I already have a rather distinctive style? I have some pretty distinctive piercings that I really don’t want to remove, and I have a few tattoos (and will get more eventually– I’m planning on becoming a tattoo artist, after all). So, I think I’ve settled on a combination of the two, which I shall go into more in depth, along with my reasoning.

I’ll start with hair, as it is a rather common (and important) part of different religions and spiritual sects. From the hijab of Muslim women, to the veils of Catholic nuns, to the long, braided hair of various indigenous peoples of the Americas (and far more, of course). Húxiān is typically portrayed as a beautiful woman from ancient China, so She abides by the standards of that time. That means very long, uncut hair bound up in a traditional style. I am already growing my hair out for spiritual reasons, but I struggled with deciding whether I should maintain my bangs or give them up. On one hand, if I were to dedicate my hair to the goddess, would it be disrespectful to continue to trim bangs? On the other, bangs have been a permanent feature of my appearance since I was a child. If I were to give them up, would I lose my sense of self to a degree? Honestly, I’m still undecided. I think I’ll continue to grow my hair out, and see how I feel once my bangs get long again (they usually drive me mad once they reach my mouth, so I guess I’ll see in a month or so).

On to tattoos; I absolutely love them, and I wouldn’t give up getting tattooed for any reason– divine or otherwise. I know some magic practitioners and pagans get tattoos related to their practice or worship, and I think I will follow that example to an extent. I’ve been mulling over the subject of a full back piece I wish to get at some point, and I think I’ll dedicate that large portion of skin to a depiction of Húxiān. As for the rest of my tattoos, for this area I will subscribe to my own standards, even if they’re a bit off-beat from what’s considered “normal” or “acceptable” by wider society. I do have my own boundaries with tattoos, mostly from an “I don’t want my tattoos to ever get sun-damaged” standpoint: any tattoo placement I cannot always hide with clothes is a placement I shall never get. This also lends to my individual take on modesty.

For modesty, I essentially divide how I dress in two: sun-up attire and sundown attire. My sun-up attire covers every part of my skin save my face and hands. It typically leads to those around me thinking I have damn-near Victorian views on modesty (despite being rather alternative-looking), and take issue with exposing my body in any way. I simply believe that one does not have to wear revealing clothing to be enticing (and that only goes for when I want to be enticing), and don’t like the sun. Sundown attire is more fun for me, as I get to expose my tattoos and wear anything I’d like, without fear of sun damage. As for how I plan on changing how I present myself in this area, I think I’ll start to put more of an effort into my sun-up outfits, so it’s more put-together (and aesthetically pleasing) than an oversized hoodie paired with baggy pants. The time styling outfits could be a daily section of time specifically set aside for the goddess. Additionally, I could add colors associated with Her (mostly white and red) as accent colors to my all-black wardrobe.

Makeup is something that I use as a confidence-booster, an activity to do when I’m jittery, and a way to influence the way others perceive (and subsequently treat) me. An example I like to use is the time I made it look like I’d been bawling my eyes out before I had to defend a final project in a coding class to a teacher who looked down on women. I played into his expectations in order to earn both his pity and a much better grade than I would have gotten otherwise. I feel this approach to makeup aligns pretty well with Húxiān, considering her place as a deity of both beauty and persuasion (She, along with other fox spirits, is known to be rather manipulative as well).

In regards to nails, I will endeavor to keep them long (for the most part), in the fashion of ancient China, in respect to the goddess. I say “for the most part” because I am also a musician, and none of the instruments I play allow one to keep all of their nails long. Thus, in order to retain the ability to play my instruments, I will trim the essential nails while I am actively practicing. In times that I do not play much, I will allow them to grow long as well. I also plan to make traditional Chinese nail polish from beeswax, egg whites, and flowers both as offerings to Húxiān and to color my nails with.

In general, I think it would be best for me to take a blended approach to striving towards beauty; a way to both make meaningful or beneficial changes while still expressing my individual style. I encourage anyone reading to think of any ways you feel you should change yourself in order to honor deities or spirits you work with, or reasons why you shouldn’t. Just give it a bit of thought– I find it a rather interesting topic, and I’d love to hear others’ experiences and thoughts on it.

motzfeldt

Neophyte
Reaction score
Well, you've clearly thought about this a lot and it is indeed interesting to ponder upon, but I definitely wouldn't worry about your own personal appearance in relation to a deity you wish to worship. Supernatural forces like spirits or deities (whatever you want to call them) I don't think are overly interested in what you wear or what you look like - humankind evolves and changes throughout the centuries as do the clothes we wear and the fashion standards we conform to. What was normal 200 years ago could be outlandish now and what's normal now may be totally alien in another 200 years... The gods of course are timeless and as such will be used to the myriad of visual appearances that humans go through over the passage of time.

For ritualistic purposes there's definitely cause to wear certain garb but in everyday life I wouldn't say so - unless there's a very specific goal you have in mind, which for some reason requires you to look a certain way to achieve it. A slight exception to this may be jewelry like rings and pendants, as through sorcerous methods these can be enchanted for magical use.

But in general don't worry about it, get the tattoos you want and grow your hair as you wish - I can't see Húxiān being too particularly fussed!

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The only question I’m really picking up here (feel free to correct me) is which standard of beauty you should strive for?

I guess the easy answer is “whatever you want, don’t let no spirit decide your beauty” but I mean obviously there’s a reason you chose this particular spirit. And obviously this spirit has their own view of beauty, so I guess you should/will end up shifting more towards the traits and archetypes that this spirit is more or less known for when it comes to beauty and fashion whatnot. I think every spirit has their own preferences/strengths/virtues/personality/requirements/capabilities and it’s up to you to decide from the cultural/historical depictions/learnings/information about this spirit which of those attributes are accurate and which are inconsequential/circumstantial/incidental.

While I personally think beauty and physical attractiveness plays a big role in the the way people treat you (good and bad) and consequently the opportunities you are presented and the overall quality and type of life you live - I mostly never see it being followed from an occult practice perspective. So, I don’t really know if there will be any solid advice, really, for anyone to give, aside from subjective personal opinions or generic feel good advice.

How I personally view what I do for spirits is really broken down into 2 categories.
  • Offerings/sacrifices/tributes - what I give the spirit to encourage, appease or thank them, and very occasionally perhaps something they need to aid me and my request
  • Door opening - opening up pathways for me to receive what I have requested (for example applying to a bunch of jobs before asking for job hunting success)
I don’t really use magick for anything to do with my physical attributes, let alone beauty, so I don’t really know what I would offer or be willing to change about myself physically in the pursuit of that particular goal.

Good luck on your journey, though. From what little I’ve seen, you seem to already be quite beautiful with many good features, so I doubt it will be a long and arduous journey for you to looks-max yourself.

ghoulish

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
How I personally view what I do for spirits is really broken down into 2 categories.
  • Offerings/sacrifices/tributes - what I give the spirit to encourage, appease or thank them, and very occasionally perhaps something they need to aid me and my request
  • Door opening - opening up pathways for me to receive what I have requested (for example applying to a bunch of jobs before asking for job hunting success)
I suppose my take on this is regards to beauty is a combination of both of these. Many people who worship Húxiān do so with the goal of gaining blessings from the goddess to improve their appearance, in a way I think is similar to glamour magic. My original post was mostly just me debating on different ways to connect my appearance to my practice-- I'm quite prone to sudden dramatic changes whenever they take my fancy. I think connecting certain aspects of my appearance to devotion (and thus something I will not change) will lead me to find better ways to gain a feeling of control in my life (whereas I would usually make a drastic change in appearance to do so).

Good luck on your journey, though. From what little I’ve seen, you seem to already be quite beautiful with many good features, so I doubt it will be a long and arduous journey for you to looks-max yourself.
Thank you for the kind words-- I mostly just want to maintain some sense of consistency. Something so I don't end up looking like a Doll's Kill model one day and like I crawled out of a dumpster the next lol

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
worship Húxiān do so with the goal of gaining blessings from the goddess to improve their appearance
Yeah, I get that. Don’t you think, though, that if people are vying for this spirit’s blessing, that the spirit (sorry I cba typing the name with accents on iPad) is at least somewhat difficult to please or at the very least their blessing is conditional?

Do you not then fear the possibility that not conforming strictly to whatever you determine this spirit’s requirements are (particular hair, no tattoos etc) will lead to being ignored - or worse - smitten/disfavored by them? Not to unlock fears or anything, just curious if you’ve thought about it.

My original post was mostly just me debating on different ways to connect my appearance to my practice-- I'm quite prone to sudden dramatic changes whenever they take my fancy. I think connecting certain aspects of my appearance to devotion (and thus something I will not change) will lead me to find better ways to gain a feeling of control in my life (whereas I would usually make a drastic change in appearance to do so).
Yeah personally I’m a big fan of learning to exercise control, or satisfy the desire for control by means other than inflicting self-sabotage or making sudden changes to oneself (just 2 examples, not saying they are related).

I crawled out of a dumpster
😂 🧟

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
This is a Chinese goddess, so should I try to conform to Chinese standards of beauty?
If I'm not mistaken, the Chinese's standards of beauty(at least in the old ages) was the "jade beauty"(a.k.a. white-and smooth-like jade.Yes, we think of the green jade but there are many variations of jade), so keep in mind that this(along with the current Chinese standard of beauty) means that you most likely will have to "achieve lighter skin tones", "the whiter, the better".

I know that there is even a historical reason for this whole "get white skin" desire of theirs(as classically those that worked in the fields-i.e. had a lower status-got more sun so their skin was darker, while those that didn't go out much or worked inside buildings-i.e. had a better status-got less sun so their skin was lighter), but this obssession has reached ridiculous levels to this day and age.

On the other, bangs have been a permanent feature of my appearance since I was a child. If I were to give them up, would I lose my sense of self to a degree?
I don't think you have to give up your identity just to make a deity "happy", if said deity would even care about it, that is.I think this would fall into the "small stuff you don't need to worry about".

It typically leads to those around me thinking I have damn-near Victorian views on modesty (despite being rather alternative-looking), and take issue with exposing my body in any way.
I don't see what's wrong with being modest if that's something that makes someone feel comfortable.Not everyone has a good relationship with their bodies, and sometimes it's just because some people do feel more comfortable being more covered(like they're wearing an armor of sorts).
In your case, you're being pragmatic about it in relation to your tattoos.

I could add colors associated with Her (mostly white and red)
I know you meant in clothes, but have you thought of using red makeup on your eyes too?Apparently this is something that many East Asians have been doing(ever since Kpop) and it does look nice when done right.Might work on your eyes too or not.

it would be best for me to take a blended approach to striving towards beauty; a way to both make meaningful or beneficial changes while still expressing my individual style.
youre right GIF

I don’t really use magick for anything to do with my physical attributes, let alone beauty, so I don’t really know what I would offer or be willing to change about myself physically in the pursuit of that particular goal.
Calisthenics(the word itself) means "kállos (κάλλος) = beauty and sthenos (σθένος) = strength".So you can use calisthenics to worship Heracles, maybe Aphrodite herself too, among other deities related to beauty and/or strength.
And you get a fit and strong body out of that, so win/win in my book.

Many people who worship Húxiān do so with the goal of gaining blessings from the goddess to improve their appearance
Hmm, I don't think there is anything wrong in asking spirits and deities for a boon, as long as people also do their due work on their side too.

ghoulish

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Do you not then fear the possibility that not conforming strictly to whatever you determine this spirit’s requirements are (particular hair, no tattoos etc) will lead to being ignored - or worse - smitten/disfavored by them? Not to unlock fears or anything, just curious if you’ve thought about it.
I've thought about it quite a bit, actually. I'm basing my take on it off of the appearances of Chinese celebrities who have openly said they worship Húxiān-- many of them have bangs or tattoos (for example), yet are said to have her favor. She doesn't seem to have any strict guidelines on appearance-- most of what I was talking about were ways for me to personally feel more connected to her, particularly by emulating her appearance.

From what I've read about her, the difficult part of earning her favor is consistency. Most things written on her in English say that one must first go through a "Sincerity Rite", of offering her a stick of incense every day for 100 days, after which the offering is increased to three sticks daily and offerings of perfume and fruit.
Post automatically merged:

If I'm not mistaken, the Chinese's standards of beauty(at least in the old ages) was the "jade beauty"(a.k.a. white-and smooth-like jade.Yes, we think of the green jade but there are many variations of jade), so keep in mind that this(along with the current Chinese standard of beauty) means that you most likely will have to "achieve lighter skin tones", "the whiter, the better".

I know that there is even a historical reason for this whole "get white skin" desire of theirs(as classically those that worked in the fields-i.e. had a lower status-got more sun so their skin was darker, while those that didn't go out much or worked inside buildings-i.e. had a better status-got less sun so their skin was lighter), but this obssession has reached ridiculous levels to this day and age.
You're pretty spot on there, though I feel similarly toward skin-lightening procedures as I do to tanning beds: they're both a very bad idea (and it's sad that people feel to use them). The most I'd do on that front is be more diligent about wearing sunscreen (which is a good idea anyway for general skin health).
I know you meant in clothes, but have you thought of using red makeup on your eyes too?Apparently this is something that many East Asians have been doing(ever since Kpop) and it does look nice when done right.Might work on your eyes too or not.
I don't know how that possibly slipped my mind-- thank you for reminding me! My favorite eyeliner is red, after all. I could just get more reds, so I feel less compelled to save it for super special events. I also have an inordinate amount of red eyeshadow that I can play around with to figure out something that works.

Last edited:

Blackrose00

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I can see that you have researched Correct me if I am wrong
Even for those who don't share the same faith you can give a good insight, your commitment to your faith will cause other people to question themselves about their commitment to their faith and that is a good thing.
It is incredibly fascinating to see how you see Hźxiān Niángniáng worship and how it is intertwined with your identity and personal journey. From the way you think about how to embody the qualities associated with her, such as beauty, persuasiveness and passion, it is clear that you have great respect for her. The way you think about beauty standards and how they relate to your own identity and cultural influences is really thought-provoking. It seems possible to respect traditional Húxiān depictions while maintaining your own unique style and expression. Your methodical approach to humility
When you divide your wardrobe into "sunrise" and "sunset" outfits, you pay homage to the goddess and your own comfort. This is a sensible approach to modesty. Using these colors as accents on your clothes to show your admiration for Húxiān seems like a modest but meaningful approach.
The perception of beauty may vary according to each region, I think it is enough for you to combine it with your own beauty and faith.
your bangs look good on you reconsider whether or not to cut them

1. How did you become interested in Húxiān Niángniáng? Was there a particular event or idea that triggered or shaped this interest?
2 - How do you reconcile your religious beliefs with your commitment to beauty standards?
3 - I realized that you have some problems with your nails, hair, tattoos, these problems can reflect badly on your daily life, what do you plan to do?

ghoulish

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
1. How did you become interested in Húxiān Niángniáng? Was there a particular event or idea that triggered or shaped this interest?
I have always been interested in different deities (I was that kid obsessed with Greek mythology in primary school lol), but I hadn't ever found one that I resonated with. More recently, my life has been shifting dramatically and I intend to go into a career that requires some degree of charisma in dealing with clients. At the same time, I came across one of the few sources that mentioned Húxiān Niángniáng in English. That immediately piqued my interest, and I went down a rabbit hole of research that ended with my decision to worship her.

2 - How do you reconcile your religious beliefs with your commitment to beauty standards?
Previous to this, the only beauty standard I cared about was my own; I only subscribed to wider beauty standards to- for lack of better words- get my own way. Since Húxiān is, in part, a goddess of beauty, I decided to organize and alter some of my own standards to reflect her.

3 - I realized that you have some problems with your nails, hair, tattoos, these problems can reflect badly on your daily life, what do you plan to do?
The only 'problem' with my hair is that it's a bit uneven from growing out a side shave haha. My tattoos don't affect my life (and really won't-- I'm intending to become a tattoo artist, after all). Really the only thing that people could judge me for are the nails (I mean, people are more likely to focus on my facial piercings lol), but I've worn them similarly in a customer-facing role and received only compliments. I've found that if one is somewhat conventionally attractive, little odd things tend to be written off as a stylistic choice.

Blackrose00

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I have always been interested in different deities (I was that kid obsessed with Greek mythology in primary school lol), but I hadn't ever found one that I resonated with. More recently, my life has been shifting dramatically and I intend to go into a career that requires some degree of charisma in dealing with clients. At the same time, I came across one of the few sources that mentioned Húxiān Niángniáng in English. That immediately piqued my interest, and I went down a rabbit hole of research that ended with my decision to worship her.
This has been a really interesting journey! It is fascinating to hear how Húxiān Niángniáng has influenced you and how you have integrated it into your life. I'm also curious to know how this belief has helped you in your charismatic career.
Previous to this, the only beauty standard I cared about was my own; I only subscribed to wider beauty standards to- for lack of better words- get my own way. Since Húxiān is, in part, a goddess of beauty, I decided to organize and alter some of my own standards to reflect her.
It's great that you've stayed true to your own beauty standards and shaped them with Húxiān's influence. What have been the biggest changes you've experienced along the way? Are there any specific things you do in your beauty routines inspired by Húxiān?
The only 'problem' with my hair is that it's a bit uneven from growing out a side shave haha. My tattoos don't affect my life (and really won't-- I'm intending to become a tattoo artist, after all). Really the only thing that people could judge me for are the nails (I mean, people are more likely to focus on my facial piercings lol), but I've worn them similarly in a customer-facing role and received only compliments. I've found that if one is somewhat conventionally attractive, little odd things tend to be written off as a stylistic choice.
It's great that you are open and candid about your hair, tattoos and nails. It's good to hear that the way you express yourself is received positively. Do you plan to try different things in the future and can you share more details about Húxiān's influence on this?

ghoulish

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I'm also curious to know how this belief has helped you in your charismatic career.
I don't have a solid answer just yet-- I haven't gone particularly far yet in that venture. So far, she's re-sparked my motivation to work on my art portfolio, which I need to finish up before the end of July. I'll have a more concrete answer around then as well, as that is when I'll be asking around to get a tattoo apprenticeship. I think that it will help with confidence and, in turn, help my chances of getting one.

What have been the biggest changes you've experienced along the way? Are there any specific things you do in your beauty routines inspired by Húxiān?
The largest change I've had so far is that I no longer have the overwhelming urge to re-shave half my hair. I use large changes in appearance as a way to feel a sense of control in my life (especially while I was still in college), so settling on just growing my hair out and taking proper care of it provides that sense of stability. I'm working on sorting out my self-care routine to be a practice of mindfulness, rather than just something I have to do. I have a pretty thorough hair care routine, and cleansing my hair has become somewhat of a devotional practice. Since I associate long, healthy, hair with Húxiān, taking care of my own makes me feel closer to her. I also intend to incorporate more red eyeliner into my routine, as red is one of the main colors associated with her (and has been a traditional part of Chinese makeup since the Tang Dynasty, if I recall correctly).

Do you plan to try different things in the future and can you share more details about Húxiān's influence on this?
I plan on learning how to make perfume and traditional Chinese makeup (like lip papers) to give as offerings to Húxiān (and to use in general). The few sources in English say that offerings of perfume and makeup are recommended (I think the exact wording was "items you would give a girlfriend" lol). This is just a way to make the offerings more special and to devote more of my time to her.

Speaking of perfume, I intend to become more constant about wearing perfume, and take the associations of the scents into account (heavy, decadent aromas are associated with Húxiān, so I'll be using that type of smell). I already have one that I quite like, but I associate that scent with writing in my grimoire, so I'm looking for one for more casual wear. I also think I might try my hand at making hair-care products as a way to make that field of self-care more devotional.

I've also been toying with the idea of switching my jewelry from the standard silver to gold, though I'm not sure about it at the moment (I have nine piercings, so getting body-safe jewelry in that color would be unfortunately expensive). I might start accumulating that kind of jewelry for special occasions or rituals, actually. It's more for the color symbolism of wealth, longevity, and happiness than any direct association with Húxiān, aside from her being a Chinese goddess.

There will probably be more things that arise as I continue to worship the goddess.
Post automatically merged:

Unrelated, but I just realized I fucked up the title of this post, and it's really bothering me now

Last edited:

Djnenas

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know :unsure: .... i guess i'm just different. I wouldn't change my personal style choices to apease a spirit. I provide offerings for that. And like Jason Miller would say, if a spirit is too hard to please then See Ya! the next one won't be. I believe it is imperative to do your own personal research with any spirit. There is a very important component in all of this and that is your OWN particular energy and mind that will affect the way you perceive any spirit. The only way to know 100% whether this is THE spirit for you is to taste the waters yourself. The way a Goddess presents herself to you might be different than for someone else to an extent, or its just different when seen through the veil of your conciousness. I think is commendable that you went through great lengths to research and find ways to integrate your own life style choices to match those of the Goddess you feel close to, but like everything that we do in our lives it is always a good practice to keep it sane. Any spirit you aim to get close to should be a harmonious blend of your already beautiful self (keeping your identity) and devotion. Blessings to you and your path.:giggle:

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
As for which standard of beauty, I'm minded of the Hasid tzaddik Zusya. "When I stand before God, He will not ask me why I wasn't Moses. He's going to ask why I wasn't Zusya?" Play to your strengths. Any goddess worth her stuff will scorn a wannabeemee.