• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Open Request Hebrew Magic Amulets: Their Decipherment and Interpretation by T. Schrire

Someone is looking for a specific book to be shared.

alexgiovanni

Visitor
Benefactor
Reaction score
91WrrWs2umL._SL1500_.jpg

"Hebrew Magic Amulets: Their Decipherment and Interpretation" is a scholarly work by T. Schrire that explores the fascinating world of Hebrew magic amulets, which were popular in Jewish communities for centuries. The book focuses on deciphering and interpreting the intricate designs, symbols, and inscriptions found on these amulets.
Hebrew magic amulets were believed to possess protective and healing powers, and were often worn or carried by individuals to ward off evil spirits, diseases, and misfortune. These amulets typically featured a combination of Hebrew letters, divine names, biblical verses, and mystical symbols.
In this book, Schrire delves into the history and significance of these amulets, examining their origins, development, and the various traditions associated with their creation and use. The author provides detailed analyses of the textual and symbolic content of the amulets, offering insights into the religious and cultural beliefs of the Jewish communities that produced them.
Schrire's work also explores the linguistic aspects of the amulets, focusing on the decipherment of the Hebrew inscriptions and the challenges involved in translating and interpreting the often-cryptic language used in these magical objects.

"Hebrew Magic Amulets" is a comprehensive study that sheds light on a fascinating aspect of Jewish mysticism and folk religion, making it a valuable resource for scholars, students, and anyone interested in the history and practice of magic in Jewish traditions.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The book was originally published in 1966 as "Hebrew Amulets; Their Decipherment and Interpretation" and they added the "Magic" only for the 1982 edition. The 1966 edition is available on Google Books; unfortunately, I don't know my way around that site and won't have time to find out until much later in the day, so if you're an expert, be my guest. All this means that a digital copy must exist somewhere, I think.