• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Hi everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaka

Visitor
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've seen an active forum like this! I'm so used to reddit and discord these days, but this is a nice mix of nostalgia and updated features. Anyway, I'm a long-time practicioner and could probably summarize myself as a chaos magician. I pick up what's useful and turn it into my own thing. Lately I'm really into exploring how art can be incorporated into magic.

I'm hoping to find some interesting conversations here!

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Welcome to the forum! Have you read Alan Moore's essay "Fossil Angels"? Once you wade through the verbiage, he puts forward the idea that art is magic

Amaka

Visitor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Have you read Alan Moore's essay "Fossil Angels"? Once you wade through the verbiage, he puts forward the idea that art is magic
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to check that out. I'm familiar with some of Alan Moore's work but I don't think I've read any of his essays. The way I see it, magic is creating a change in the internal world (the mind, etc) so effectively that it also creates change in the external world. That definition leaves a lot of room for interpretation, which is why I like it. That could absolutely apply toward art since art requires a lot of internal processing which then results in a tangible creation in the external world.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to check that out. I'm familiar with some of Alan Moore's work but I don't think I've read any of his essays. The way I see it, magic is creating a change in the internal world (the mind, etc) so effectively that it also creates change in the external world. That definition leaves a lot of room for interpretation, which is why I like it. That could absolutely apply toward art since art requires a lot of internal processing which then results in a tangible creation in the external world.
I think of it as being reversed. The change you make in the internal world allows you to experience the version of the external world which contains the result of your internal change. So you do not change the world, you experience the place where it is changed.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
It's been a while since I've seen an active forum like this! I'm so used to reddit and discord these days, but this is a nice mix of nostalgia and updated features. Anyway, I'm a long-time practicioner and could probably summarize myself as a chaos magician. I pick up what's useful and turn it into my own thing. Lately I'm really into exploring how art can be incorporated into magic.

I'm hoping to find some interesting conversations here!
Greetings & I like your hints about art. I was toying with the idea that the right music might be used to replace the recited text in the Bardo Tholdol. Instead of reading to the dead, play him pre-selected music with an agreed upon and aesthetically befitting import.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Welcome!! Glad to have you. You seem sympathic. Like your Energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.