• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

How can you bind spirits

Reaction score
Awards
Identify, objectify, banish. Full physical cleaning with Four Thieves Vinegar and Holy Water or Blessed Apostolic Oil.
Rearrange furniture. Get rid of second hand/potentially cursed items. Distinguish natural cause from poltergeists.
Have a priest or pastor come to bless the dwelling, self and yard. Get ahold of a self sealing prayer. Pray.
Exorcise yourself daily. Pray exorcism prayers. Pray psalms daily. Pray the Wayfarer Prayer daily.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Just banish it...unless there’s something connecting them to the property, then you’d likely need to find it.

binding spirits usually pisses them off
Yeah---it's like jumping on a tiger's back to save your sheep: how the devil do I get offa here?!

Reaction score
I'm not talking Geotia Spirits, I mean spirits that haunting homes, graveyards, etc.

I have a few ideas how I could go about trapping, binding spirits but I have no idea really. I'm not talking about enslaving spirits or causing harm to them rather stopping them from harming other people and even pets.

For the record you can call up a haint in a triangle of art.

If you aren't wanting to get rid of them but merely want to bind them from being able to do a thing.. the simplest way to do it would probably be working with knots or chords such as the not magic that you see a lot of neopagan witches doing, or at least as was popular in the 90s and early 2000s. This practice goes back to various folk traditions, notably of Christian variety.

You should be able to search not Magic and find a neo pig inside that will be helpful to you.

The problem you will have, is getting a fix on the spirit. Oftentimes you will incorporate a piece of the target hair or something that belongs to them to get a fix on them. Obviously, you aren't going to have hair from a noncorporeal being. Unless you knew them and life it is unlikely that you have some object of theirs.

So what do you do? Well if you know where they are buried you might consider graveyard dirt. Otherwise you are probably left with making a sigil for them. If you have some success using that sigil to call them forth, that is a good sign. If you can bind them to being connected to that sigil. Even better.

However I would be remiss not to point out an ethical issue here. Many who would not dream of doing a painful working or otherwise harming someone, will fill comfortable binding them. However, binding is a greater ethical dilemma than just frightening or roughing somebody up. You are preventing them from using your free agency to employ certain faculties of their being.

That kind of binding is far more slavery than binding an entity to a sigil or poking them with a stick when they misbehave. Do you understand what I am saying? Yes binding them to a schedule gives you a means of control and it is difficult for many not to abuse power, yet when you bind someone from being unable to take certain actions you were eliminating free choice regarding that choice and also need to be sure that if you prevent someone from harming you that you do your best to make sure that you don't leave them unable to defend themselves. However the ideal and what you need to do to protect yourself or not always in alignment and sometimes there is no right choice and that there will be crossing a line. It is not wrong to put your safety first and any being that would so endanger you willfully it's making the statement that such safety is not an inherent right.
Post automatically merged:

Just banish it...unless there’s something connecting them to the property, then you’d likely need to find it.

binding spirits usually pisses them off

I concur, if you're at the point where you have to bind a spirit in that way, it is best to just send them on their way and be done with them. If you are unable to banish them or they keep coming back then you escalate things to the next level.

The first thing that you should do is try to communicate with them in such a way that is not in any way harmful to yourself. If you could not reach an agreement, evict them. If that does not work, craft a magical restraining order.

What needs to be mindful however that often they are the Intruders. I can't tell you how many times I see somebody complain at their house is haunted and not once are they considerate for the departed spirit that still resides there. It was their home before you moved in and if they still reside there they probably lived there for many years.

It is important for the dead in the living to learn to work together. While some living situations are just not going to be tenable, having a haunted residence can actually be a blessing. House spirits which looked after the home, often were departed residents if they were not of the category of house elves or some other such thing.

Does that always work?

If successful yes- but it may very well be a temporary situation. Just because you banished something doesn't mean it can't return.

Binding, banishing and exorcism all depend upon permissions
The hell they do .
Binding perhaps depending on the type. It is preferable that they bind themselves to a packed or contract with consequences then to try and restrain them by your will.

You do not need permission to banish or to exercise and you do not wait for their permission if the situation is out of hand.

Now that said there is something to be said for etiquette. It is not my place to banish anything from somebody's home without permission from the homeowner. That is their space. Therefore if I take it upon myself the band is something from somebody's home you can bet that I believe that they were in immediate danger and I did not have time to have that conversation or I made the call that they were not in the proper mental state to deal with the situation.

Granted, if you are a dick and keep vanishing a spirit without their consent, they probably won't like you very well unless you just have that sort of relationship. So don't be surprised then if they stop showing back up or being cordial to you because you aren't being very polite.

Exorcise* damn autocorrect, and we really do need a way to edit appended post on the mobile.

If you have a seal of the spirit, place it inside a triangle and hold the tip of the sword to the seal. This should bind it.
Past that, not a clue.

The triangle of arte constrains a spirit, but it is only bound to the triangle for was long as it is therein. Once you give it license to depart it is no longer constrained. The sword should threatens the spirit.

Now if you point the sword to it and say you will bind yourself to this sigil, or else... They may very well bind themselves to the sigil.

This however brings up a whole slew of issues. Luckily for the magician he isn't going to be summoned to spirit court for forcing an agreement under duress, though the entities charged to look after that Spirit may have something to say about it. It should not be lost on the practitioner that such coercion would not make the agreement binding in a court of law. I find it a best practice to have the Spirit bind themselves to an agreement of their own free will and accord.

I'm not really adding anything but I thought of the way strong liquor is called "spirits", and how that is bound in a bottle with a cap (mostly metal nowadays).

Might be a way. Put something enticing in an open bottle and then capture the spirit by putting the cap on it.

Spirit bottles are a thing. There's even reference to this concept in the show disenchantment. The show even draws on an ocean that the bottle can help prevent a spirit. This actually started his sympathetic magic because in our chemical tradition the whiner mash was considered the psyuche-soul well the distillate was considered the essential spirit. So you would an entity to the material magica it has an Infinity too, distillate to its essence and then trap it in the bottle. Overtime people stopped putting the material magica possessed of the spirit into the bottle and just started trapping spirits in bottles.

Now a witch bottle can be either a spirit bottle or a target bottle. If it is a spirit bottle in the witch or practitioner has not put the spirit in the bottle themselves, they will often include some kind of talisman or call upon a familiar Spirit to do the job when malicious spirits come to cause them harm. Some also believe that Spirits can get trapped in shiny things or the color hate blue is involved. There are many different takes on it.

A target bottle is a decoy so that when someone targets the witch, the bottle takes an absorbs the hit instead of the witch being hit. Sometimes the bottle will have some of their hair, fingernail clippings etc. so that the malicious work ends up hitting the bottle seeking the witch. The witch may still be aware as they have a connection to that bottle, but it is not a direct hit.

You have to be careful however. There are indeed stories where a Target which bottle was broken and the malicious work that it had absorbed was still festering in there, and all the maliciousness over the years hit the witch at once and it was fatal.

You can also make Ward bottles which will take the hit when something enters supremacist but will not act as a decoy for the witch. And these I would put the Sixth Seal of Mars, Stinging Nettle and Betony/Wall of Fire blend so that it is offensive as well as defensive. Work it like a capacitor so it absorbs the hit and then directs it back. You can also work to transmute the residual to your purposes.

Between text-to-speech and autocorrect we really do need better editing options. I'll see if I can fix it later on the desktop.

It will not let me edit the post on the laptop either. I'm not sure if it is because it is an appended post or because there is a limited time frame for editing. Either way this is a bad feature when it comes to appended posts because if the latter it uses the first post to determine the time limit leaving no time to correct for typos in appendant posts. It also makes it impossible to correct old posts. Not great for those with poor vision, mind you.

In any case I will simply reproduce the post in clarity:

Spirit bottles are a thing. There's even reference to this concept in the show Disenchantment. The show even draws on a notion that the bottle can help preserve a spirit. This actually started as sympathetic magic because in alchemical tradition the wine and its mash were considered the psyuche-soul while the distillate was considered the essential spirit. So you would bind an entity to the material magica it has an affinity to, distillate to its essence and then trap it in the bottle. Overtime people stopped putting the material magica possessed of the spirit into the bottle and just started trapping spirits in bottles.

Now a witch bottle can be either a spirit bottle or a target bottle. If it is a spirit bottle and the witch or practitioner has not put the spirit in the bottle themselves, they will often include some kind of talisman or call upon a familiar Spirit to do the job when malicious spirits come to cause them harm. Some also believe that Spirits can get trapped in shiny things or if the color hate blue is involved. There are many different takes on it.

A target bottle is a decoy so that when someone targets the witch, the bottle takes and absorbs the hit instead of the witch being hit. Sometimes the bottle will have some of their hair, fingernail clippings etc. so that the malicious work ends up hitting the bottle seeking the witch. The witch may still be aware as they have a connection to that bottle, but it is not a direct hit.

You have to be careful, however. There are indeed stories where a Target witch bottle was broken and the malicious work that it had absorbed was still festering in there, and all the maliciousness over the years hit the witch at once and it was fatal.

You can also make Ward bottles which will take the hit when something enters the premises but will not act as a decoy for the witch. In these I would put the Sixth Seal of Mars, Stinging Nettle and Betony/Wall of Fire blend so that it is offensive as well as defensive. Work it like a capacitor so it absorbs the hit and then directs it back. You can also work to transmute the residual to your purposes.

There, fixed.

As for Iron, yes chthonic (of the earth, including terrestrials, elementals and infernals) dislike iron especially consecrated iron. It disrupts them. We do not know why this seems to be the cause, but it is an interesting coincidence that iron is often the death of many a star.

Last edited:

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
You do not need permission to banish or to exercise and you do not wait for their permission if the situation is out of hand.

The issue is that often the human has unconsciously given permission to adverse spirits.

For example, walking past wrong-doing without rejecting it emotionally or mentally, constitutes an on-going permission for adverse spirits.

As long as the permission exists, bindings and banishings are effective for very short periods - only seconds in some cases I have seen